Whack-A-Mole headlights

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
2004 golf….

So a few months ago, I noticed the passenger low beam was out. High beams both work. Figure, hey it’s probably the lamp. Pull it out. Lamp is good. Put it back in. Low beam works again. ????

fast forward a month or two. Drivers low beam does the exact same thing.
Fix problem by unplugging in housing connector, and just plugging back on. Light works immediately.

fast forward to last night. No low beam headlights. Both high beams work. Unplug both low beam lamps. Plug them back in. Both work immediately again.

I suspect I need to hit the spade connectors with some denatured alcohol. Maybe pull the lamps and clean the spade pins on the lamps. Try to clean away any surface oxidation.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I think there is only one ground run to those head lamp assembly, so I am thinking it’s not a bad ground. Just weird both low beams are acting up.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You need to pull the headlights and look at the condition of the internal wiring harness to the headlights. If it's OEM, those wires are prone to getting brittle and cracking, shorting, or causing a ton of similar headlight issues.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What I've done is clipped wires, one at a time, and put on heat shrink tubing, and then butt spliced the wire back together. Done it on several headlights, because as @KrashDH said, those wires are prone to getting brittle/cracking. While you're at it, maybe invest in some glass headlight covers, assuming yours are yellowed.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
one headlight is newer than the other. Just odd they both started acting up within a close time frame.

so you guys are saying the conductor itself breaks?

If and when this happens again. I’ll stick a meter in there and touch the lamp pin and see if it is getting 12v with the headlight switch on.

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
Can confirm. Same issue on my original headlights. Thought I had a bulb out. Changed bulb. Then blew the fuse. Pulled the headlight and noticed flecks/flakes of wiring insulation inside and several wires bare spots and/or cracked insulation. Seem to recall that the internal wiring harnesses can be bought separately, but I didn't go that route.

You need to pull the headlights and look at the condition of the internal wiring harness to the headlights. If it's OEM, those wires are prone to getting brittle and cracking, shorting, or causing a ton of similar headlight issues.