Went to look at a used 12 & 13's today.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
So to expand my search for a used TDI I've started looking at some newer models affected by the diesel gate. A dealership near by has a '12 w/ 106K and a '13 w/ 111K. Both fully optioned cars. The problem is they're asking $15,300 for both of them. I spoke with the sales manager for a good 20 minutes about how they are asking 5-$6000 over Nada/KBB.

I guess my question is are dealers with used TDI's on the lot part of the buy back settlement? If so why not pull the cars off the lot? I loved both of the Jettas but paying that much over value let alone trying to finance it would be impossible.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
I have heard that the value of the TDI has gone up quickly after the proposed settlement. More pricey than the blue book suggests, and nice used ones are in short supply. A coworker flew from NY to Colorado for one and drove it back.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Might also be a way to prevent people from buying them up just to cash in on the settlement.

ben

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
If you bought one right now, you don't qualify... Right?
There would be investors absolutely harassing owners for cash payouts "today" if that were the case.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
You absolutely do and I've already heard of garages with TDI's stashed away. Sad that people would take advantage like this.

I actually picked up a 2012 Jetta M6 TDI today. She had 102K on the clock and was maintained meticulously by her previous owner. After searching high and low, messing with dealers that had theirs overpriced, I found this red beauty and got her for $10,400.

Already registered on the website. Plans are to take the $2,550 check and use it for a tune/buzzken exhaust. I'm gonna drive the hell out of this baby!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Already registered on the website. Plans are to take the $2,550 check and use it for a tune/buzzken exhaust. I'm gonna drive the hell out of this baby!
A much better investment would be for a new turbo when yours fails at about 120K miles or so because of the nosebleed high EGT's caused by the regens.

Just one thread about why a CR 2009 through 2014 poorly engineered Dubs should be avoided:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=465358

His turbo self destructed at 80K miles.

For extra credit search for the stupid expensive DPF failures and HPFP failures. That $2,500 payout will evaporate several times when you consider the nosebleed expensive emission repairs that will crop up on these horrid cars.

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Wow that sucks. I noticed on the buzzken site he offers a turbo, exhaust, tune package for under $2k. That may be what I go with.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Buzkin/Tune will solve all those high EGT issues if his right foot stays off the loud peddle.

(assuming the previous 100K were easy miles and proper oil was used)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably does not help. The high EGT's have nothing to do with how you drive. Even for Grandma, EGT's go through the roof every time the car goes into a regen.

Because of the regens, the turbo on these cars usually gets cooked to death by about 120K miles.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IDKFS, but you may need a tune to stop the regens which are what cook the turbo to death.

Why VW didn't put a 5th injector for regens after the turbo is just lunacy. Regens would have worked fine and the turbo would have lasted to a ripe old age of 200K to 300K miles instead of 120K miles or less they do now on the CR cars.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
IDKFS, but you may need a tune to stop the regens which are what cook the turbo to death.

Why VW didn't put a 5th injector for regens after the turbo is just lunacy. Regens would have worked fine and the turbo would have lasted to a ripe old age of 200K to 300K miles instead of 120K miles or less they do now on the CR cars.
I don't think that longevity was a significant priority for VW when they designed the CR TDIs. As long as the cars last long enough (on average) to get beyond the offered VW extended warranty...anything else is gravy.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Back in the 60's Chevy had this POS car called a Vega. The warranty was 50K miles and quit often these cars would overheat and wipe out the rings. Quite often before 50K miles. The reason for the failures were that they had aluminum blocks without steel sleeves and to top that, no coolant overflow tank.:eek:

For a while, at any given time, we had usually 5 Vega's in the Chevy dealers were I was an oil change monkey, for new blocks on Chevy's dime.

I would bet that some engineers at Chevy had their heads handed to them.:rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Space!!!

Have you tried replacing an EGT sensor? Now do it with another bung/injector and piping in there!

Also at 120K VW considers the car past its prime and wants you to buy a new one.

fon462

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
A much better investment would be for a new turbo when yours fails at about 120K miles or so because of the nosebleed high EGT's caused by the regens.

Just one thread about why a CR 2009 through 2014 poorly engineered Dubs should be avoided:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=465358

His turbo self destructed at 80K miles.

For extra credit search for the stupid expensive DPF failures and HPFP failures. That $2,500 payout will evaporate several times when you consider the nosebleed expensive emission repairs that will crop up on these horrid cars.
Those failures are not common. I have 146k on my 2012 TDI Jetta with zero issues. Original DPF, Turbo, and timing belt. Never had the intercooler icing issue and I live in North East PA

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Those failures are not common. I have 146k on my 2012 TDI Jetta with zero issues. Original DPF, Turbo, and timing belt. Never had the intercooler icing issue and I live in North East PA
May I suggest replacing your T/B and related parts before you have a catastrophic timing failure?

The timing belt in it's self is good for about double the change interval. What fails is a roller, tensioner or water pump.

I guess I'm a little jaded from reading about all the nose bleed expensive failures the CR's do have. It's to bad we can't get any reliable data on actual failure rates.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
To be honest I've seen people like this across the B4 forums, the MKIV forums, and now here. They create paranoia and fear in people about issues that really aren't issues. Of the tens of thousands of CR's out there we here from twenty of owners that so happen to be here or stumble across here. Now there's some how a norm that a CR TDI that reaches TDI will have the turbo go out.

I'm starting to ignore people like this to be honest. Most of their posts are the same.

"Congrats on your new car. Enjoy your turbo while it lasts."

"Oh 101k miles, start saving for a turbo."

And it goes on and on.