Well, ****.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None

Guess I have to start taking yoga classes so I can smell my own farts.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congrats! It was about time you got rid of that beat up old TDI and into something more reliable and more efficient. ;)

I think the red is the best color... looks very nice!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the new Prius is odd looking enough to be interesting, even attractive. I don't hate it. Enjoy the new ride.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Really, the design reminds me of what would happen if you took 1950s-1970s Citroën designers, stuck them in a room with 1980s-2000s anime and manga as their only form of entertainment, and then told them to design a car.

And the thing has tail fins. Not huge ones, but they're definitely there.

I just wish I could've gotten Thermo-Tect Lime Green, to maximize the weirdness quotient, but it's JDM-only:

Outside of that, red really is the best color.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Congrats, now you'll have more free time on your hands. :D

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Love the red. Yes ull have alot more time on your hands. Everyone that asks me about VW TDI I tell them its not a car its a hobby. Now ull need a new hobby after fart smelling wears off.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
2017 Prius Prime comes out in a couple months. Its the same as the 2012 Prius plug in advance with a new body style. I might just add another vehicle to the stable.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
About twice the AER, too, far more power available in all-electric mode, and up to 84 MPH all-electric.

I considered it, but the positioning as a premium product likely means that it'll be expensive, and plugging it in will be difficult where I am.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Yes premium... It will have all the options the Prius 5 plus Tech Advanced package. My employer provides EV plug ins. So its a super plus for me. Im betting $35k.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Love the thing. :D (Except on road trips, anyway. Road noise is a problem.)

(I've had it since February 2015, and it's been my daily driver, except when I wanted to keep it out of the salt (in which case I drove my Golf instead) up until now. 2000 with 24k mi now, got it with 14k mi.)

The Prius should be a lot better for road trips, though, so I'll probably end up doing more.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Congrats! Quite a contrast between the classic NB miata styling and Toyota's modern funky look. Of all the Prii, I think I could see myself in a Prius C.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not to go off topic, but this is what their site says about Opti-Coat:

Opti-Coat Pro is a hard wearing, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and protection from chemical etching due to environmental impacts.

The Opti-Coat Pro pre-polymer cross links, and forms a continuous protective film on the painted surface it is applied to, similar to a single component isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.

Opti-Coat Pro has better chemical resistance, scratch & mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive paint coating in use. It provides permanent protection for all modern factory paints and can also be used to protect metal and hard plastic surfaces.

I wonder if this really is better than a good coat of wax re-applied annually.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I got to drive tooef's car around this weekend, and I was really impressed with its handling and responsiveness. I also managed 60.0 on the display with some heavy acceleration and quick cornering, with mixed 35-60 MPH speeds. A drive like that in our Passat probably would have resulted in something around 40-45 MPG on the display. :eek:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
How much city/highway/interstate? And what speeds?
I'd say about 30% of the tank was commuting, which is a couple of possible routes - one route to work involves about 1 miles of 60 mph freeway, a couple miles of 35 mph surface street, a mile or so of 45 mph ruralish road, and another half mile of 35 mph surface street. The other route involves 4.5 miles of 35 mph surface street (although, now, with a detour that involves 25 mph neighborhood for about a mile). I typically run 5 mph over, although some of that (especially the 25 mph neighborhood street) is done slower than that, especially if I'm trying to keep it from starting the engine.

Most of the rest of the tank was a mix of 55 mph rural highways and 65-70 mph interstates, including long distances with the cruise set for 75.

On Saturday, I got around 61-62 mpg indicated on a trip from Newark, OH, to Coldwater, MI, via Lima, OH (the Prius's nav actually routed me THROUGH Lima, rather than around, which... whatever). The return trip yesterday was around 51 mpg indicated.

I would say that the driving style wasn't aggressive by any means, for what it's worth, but I tended to aim for 5 mph over (exception was in 55 mph zones, where I set the cruise for 4 mph over, as the control laws are more aggressive about entering EV operation at 59 than 60 mph cruise control setpoint) - more aggressive braking in particular will hurt a hybrid.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sounds like Jack could get better FE with similar driving habits in his old B4 (now mine). And that's 20+ year-old technology. Just sayin'

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Those speeds are a fair bit higher than his 60+ MPG B4 tanks, though - he sets the cruise for 60 or less, I thought, whereas my driving included a fair amount of 70-75 MPH operation.

Edit: Oh, and doing about ~53 mph for 2/3 of a run (got caught behind traffic on a road where passing was difficult, and decided to just hang out and go with the flow), and 55-60 indicated for most of the rest... I got this:

That would be driving like Jack.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
He used to drive an indicated 57, which with the larger tires on the B4 came out to about 62 MPH. It was toof's comment about driving 59 that made me think of Jack. At 57/62 he would get 67 MPG. My son has gotten 52+ driving a steady 70 MPH. I typicaly get 47-50 MPG driving 75 on the highway.