Well, KermaTDI seems to have closed up (but, not really). now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoP2012

TDI
1998 jetta(broke), 2001 jetta(broke), 2002 jetta (reliable....ish)
I have an '01 with an ALH and an 02J EGR trans. I was hoping on parking the car next summer and building the car up, using a lot from KermaTDI. I was wanting some oversized injectors, new rods, gaskets, belt, rings, and turbo, a 5th gear upgrade, an OMI and a tune. Well, from what I've seen, Kerma has landed themselves (apparently) in a lawsuit, and have closed up shop, staring today, at least online. I would like something like what Kerma was advertising, with the stratified tuner/code reader, but I simply just want a tune at this point.

With this all being said, now what? Anyone have suggestions for all these things? I'd prefer something in North America, since I live in the "Great" White North, but International would be alright, if they products are for sure good.

Marthy

TDI
2015 GSW-6M
Na... just got my QPro and went back n forth with them on Friday with my tune. Excellent customer services by the way, very impress!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have an '01 with an ALH and an 02J EGR trans. I was hoping on parking the car next summer and building the car up, using a lot from KermaTDI. I was wanting some oversized injectors, new rods, gaskets, belt, rings, and turbo, a 5th gear upgrade, an OMI and a tune. Well, from what I've seen, Kerma has landed themselves (apparently) in a lawsuit, and have closed up shop, staring today, at least online. I would like something like what Kerma was advertising, with the stratified tuner/code reader, but I simply just want a tune at this point.

With this all being said, now what? Anyone have suggestions for all these things? I'd prefer something in North America, since I live in the "Great" White North, but International would be alright, if they products are for sure good.
I hope they didn't close up... I just ordered from them last week.
As far as the engine build things, Frank06 from Frank's TDI in Lockwood Missouri has everything you'll need. That's where I got most of the parts for my build I'm doing right now.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Do you have a source for the potential lawsuit? Interested in reading it. But as far as I know, they're still open.

CalvinM

TDI
2003 Golf
I have never had that great of an opinion of Kerma personally. I'd much rather support vendors that haven't had suspect dealings in the past.

For OEM both IDParts and CascadeGerman have been honest and easy to deal with.

There are actually a couple vendors of performance parts up here in Canada. I ordered some injectors from Black Haze Workshop and have been happy with them(pretty sure they are from a polish vendor that you could buy direct from). Also Mecevo is another vendor that has a decent rep.

Then of course there are a number of European vendors including Darkside Developments.

Also a note about injectors, Drivebiwire supplied the Kerma injectors so you could just go through him if you wanted those injectors. dbwllc.net

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Is this what you're talking about?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen that a handful of times. I swear the posted date changes every so often. Either it's a made up page, or they really realllly don't like Kerma to go that far out of their way.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep scrolling down....it's got a lot of recent updates.

Also...anyone recognize the name of the original poster...?
Someone misappropriated Fred's name (or by some wild coincidence had the same name) to start that thread.

Last edited:

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I’ll agree with the trustworthiness or lack of it from Kerma. I’ve worked with Aaron at Cascade German since the beginning and some from ID parts has always been good to me.
Also, no, never heard of the OP

Mozambiquer

TDI
Fred Vogelmeier... That's why it's "Fred's tdi club"?
To be clear, I've only made one order from Kerma TDI and have neither positive nor negative reviews yet, since the order is supposed to show up today. Anything I have posted is me trying to figure out for myself. I've heard plenty of people who love them, and plenty who hate them. I really don't know myself.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I don't think I've ever ordered from Kerma, just because I started with and stayed with the primary vendors that support Fred's, but I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more negative posts about Kerma in the vendors thread, or friendly warnings posted in other Club threads, given the nature of the issues raised in the site that Mozambiquer linked. Don't we have a responsibility to let other members know there are serious concerns, just like with Prothe?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the FBI is really investigating them for multiple cases of identity theft, that is super serious. Much worse than anything Prothe did.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think I've ever ordered from Kerma, just because I started with and stayed with the primary vendors that support Fred's, but I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more negative posts about Kerma in the vendors thread, or friendly warnings posted in other Club threads, given the nature of the issues raised in the site that Mozambiquer linked. Don't we have a responsibility to let other members know there are serious concerns, just like with Prothe?
That's why we have the Vendor Accountability thread. These forums are more so used for helping people fix their cars, not shat spraying vendors. If someone asks who we prefer to use, then we'll tell them, but ultimately people are going to use who they want to.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
If the FBI is really investigating them for multiple cases of identity theft, that is super serious. Much worse than anything Prothe did.
Prothe... LOL. Whenever I hear that name, I think there are some Chinese-made camshafts that might be better quality than the crap he sells.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
That's why we have the Vendor Accountability thread. These forums are more so used for helping people fix their cars, not shat spraying vendors. If someone asks who we prefer to use, then we'll tell them, but ultimately people are going to use who they want to.
Yes, 20 years on Fred's, so I'm familiar with the intent of the different forums. My post stated that I was surprised there wasn't more negative posts in the vendor's accountability thread, and my closing spoke to the lack of critical posts as possibly a failure to take care of our own. In other words, have we structured the accountability thread such that it fails to meet it's stated goal per BKM- or even if that goal could use some tweaking? I'm not suggesting that I know the answer- but it does strike me notable that Fred posted his concerns elsewhere. All in all, we generally have such a good community (and people who watch the FS ads closely), that even long time members like myself sometimes may be out of the loop on issues like this.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...it does strike me notable that Fred posted his concerns elsewhere.
Keep in mind that Fred's initial post on that complaintsboard.com thread was back in 2011, so I don't think we should base any conclusions or actions on the fact that Fred made a post nine years ago on another board.
Someone misappropriated Fred's name (or by some wild coincidence had the same name) to start that thread.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
I received an order from Kerma yesterday, then I received a reply to an email asking about a different part today. So they aren't closed. Not sure how the rumor went around.
I did some digging around and found that perhaps there have been some less than positive experiences that people have had with them, but some appears to be that they have been misled by their supplier (eg in the case of "street toys" turbos and etc).
I'm a business owner, and I know that sometimes there is more to the story.
There is a reason they say "buyer beware" because you can choose who you buy from, but often times you can't choose who buys from you, especially in an online marketplace.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh damn! Sorry to make that implication, Fred.

Man - the plot thickens there. Someone impersonated Fred to add some credence to their accusations (!?).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While it's not all surprising, it is sad to see someone impersonating someone of that magnitude. That's why I'd said, I had seen that post almost verbatem, since 2018, which is when I really started looking into vendor reviews. Someone just keeps posting it again. Imagine having such little time you try to single-handedly ruin the reputation of a business :coffee:

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Some time ago, when I was a Noob, I inquired to Kerma about Nozzles, and I received several informative replies during our discussion, and I made a purchase. Then, another. No issues, here...
I don't know anything about Kerma's alleged negative dealings with customers, so I cannot comment, in that regard.
To state the obvious, the internet validates many exaggerations, and falsehoods, because comments are 'published' and appear on our computer screens, so they must be 'factual'.
So it goes, in the Political arena, as well.
It is a shame that the World Wide Web has become so weaponized, when it could've been an information Utopia...
We all have to tread water carefully...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
This thread was started by someone who may have simply typed in the wrong url. Some 3rd party (that means not Kerma) was representing themselves as Kerma, commiting some type of fraud.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just "reported" this thread to admin and suggested that they change the title of the thread (and possibly lock it) to reflect that the rumours of Kerma's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Any further discussion of Kerma's performance as a vendor should be, as suggested above, in the Vendor Accountability sub-forum.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Yes, not only is the title 'click bait', it's also mis-posted. Should be in in vendor accountability thread too. Anyhow, the OP seems to not care much since his original post with no follow ups. To the club: please just report these sooner. I'm locking it as it adds no informative or community value--it's a zombie thread with no purpose really.

Status
Not open for further replies.