Well... I'M BACK... ha ha

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
First, I never really left. I have had my 2004 Jetta since 2006. However, some of you might recall that I bought a 2009 Jetta TDI with the DSG and hated the hesitation. Still don't know if it was what is "normal" for that make and model or very much an outlier (worse than most). All I know for sure is I wouldn't put anyone in the car I had with the amount of hesitation I had because it just wasn't safe. So - I kept that sucker less time than any other new car I have ever owned. Sold it in 2011.

But, having bought my 1st VW diesel in 1982 and still loving my 2004 wagen greatly, when not one but two different numbskulls rear ended me in a 3 day span last month, what did I do? Bought a 2014 Jetta Sportswagen --- with a good old MANUAL tranny! No hesitation problem!

Thought some of you might find it interesting that I came back to the fold.

So far, so good. FWIW, I think the handling on my 2014 is much more taught than on my 2009 sedan. Which is one of my favorite attributes of my 2004 JSW. Count me a happy camper on the new one.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Glad to have you back. I'm betting though a good old DSG tune woulda solved your hesitation problems. Good luck with the new Sportwagen!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hey! Glad you're back as well. I probably had some...um...harsh words for you before, but,...well...never mind.
If your 2014 is anything like my 2009 JSW, it's much tighter than the comparable sedan. I'm at 68k miles, no squeaks or rattles, and still feel no need to change ANYTHING...except the horrible 235/45-17 Goodyear LS-2 tires. They sound like I've got 4 bad wheel bearings.
Good luck with the new car. Enjoy the manual trans. I'm still loving my DSG!

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
welcome back. glad you found the car for you. great idea really, 'hate the dsg...go for the manual' and enjoy the ride and the fuel savings! (not-to-mention new car smell)
was there anything else out there that you considered and what brought you back to vw? did you test drive the cruze?

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
welcome back. glad you found the car for you. great idea really, 'hate the dsg...go for the manual' and enjoy the ride and the fuel savings! (not-to-mention new car smell)
was there anything else out there that you considered and what brought you back to vw? did you test drive the cruze?
I was going to test drive it... but, frankly, GM's history with being able to do a diesel just kept me from ever getting over there. Plus, it looked like they didn't have any real cost advantage. If I am going to take that leap of faith, GM needs, imo, to make it a better deal financially to encourage me. List prices didn't seem to, so, I just didn't make it over to the Chevy dealer.

As far as just needing a tune on the DSG, without getting back in to that can of worms, VW tuned it several times, kept it for 10 days with the regional tech working on it, little to no improvement. As I said, I still don't know if my was worse, or not, but, if it wasn't, I can't imgine how any driver would find such intermittent delay when pulling into traffic, "ok".

You guys can find me nowdays over on the board for JSW's.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
PS, about the only other car that "got my engine running" was the new BMW diesel. If cost had been no object.... ;)