Welding the body of a A3

Kikto

TDI
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI AHU w/EGR delete and stage 1 Malone tune
So first off, no I'm not junking it, second, finding a donor body is damn near impossible and I have no way of getting it to my home.

Now that that's out of the way, anyone here welded the body of an A3? I know its a unibody, I know its sheet metal, I was going for 16 gauge (non-galvanized so I don't die) but someone told me not to because its too heavy I was told 20 is the thickness of the A3 body. I also know to punch "dents" into the sheet so its stronger. This is my first ever body welding, and I'm not even a good welder, but I've done plenty of exhausts to find "the sweet spot" in my welder and tacks are better than beads in sheet metal, especially since I'm using flux. I am going to try to do this, this weekend, which means after work, getting whatever gauge I need and practicing on a blank slate of metal first to get that sweet spot. I don't know if any of you can help me with the gauge but 16 is my default if I cant find anything else.

My welder is the titanium 125 flux core welder from harbor freight, going with .030 wire because .035 might be too much for sheet metal

PS: its mostly the bottom floor of the passenger side but might be more

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I use 14ga since it’s easily available locally and I need something longer lasting. I’ve done I don’t know how many B4’s without a problem.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
I see rockers...but I don't see floor pans for some reason...

Steve
My apologies. On the autoparts and not autosport, along with the misinformation corrected by P2B. Andysautosport had them a few years ago when i was looking for Mk3 parts, and I think Keyparts supplied them at the time, along with the rockers you mentioned at present. My 98 is a rust bucket as well, and I'd like to find someone to repair it if i buy the parts. Again, my apologies for the errors. Take pics when ya start it. Would love to see how its progressing.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My apologies. On the autoparts and not autosport, along with the misinformation corrected by P2B. Andysautosport had them a few years ago when i was looking for Mk3 parts, and I think Keyparts supplied them at the time, along with the rockers you mentioned at present. My 98 is a rust bucket as well, and I'd like to find someone to repair it if i buy the parts. Again, my apologies for the errors. Take pics when ya start it. Would love to see how its progressing.
No problem here! Glad to have the information etc. I've been thinking about locating some rockers for a potential project.

Steve