Weird noise on high boost

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
This morning, I started hearing a "flapping" sound...for lack of a better word. Actually it sounds a lot like a muffled harley engine, "pop pop pop". I noticed I heard it when I pushed the pedal past 70% or so, so I thought I might have a hole in my exhaust somewhere. But then I noticed that I heard it whenever the boost guage shows >14 lbs. I think it's related to my lower IC hose, but I'm posting this to ask for suggestions.

The car still has normal power, no smoke whatsoever on this 50 degree morning, and the boost gauge response hasn't changed noticeably.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Stock airbox has a flap which opens when the air intake is restricted. My only guess.

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
You mean on the snow screen tube? If so, mine doesn't have the door...or the screen. Didn't come with one. Is there a flap in the box itself?

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it's not doing that anymore since I changed the air filter. Now I've got the normal 17-10-13/14 spike like everybody else /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked all around the box, but didn't see anything. Where is it located?

Anyway, when I got to the car this afternoon, the sound was gone. No amount of, ummm...spirited driving... /images/graemlins/grin.gif could coerce it back. I'll pull the belly pan tomorrow and take a look, though.

I opened the air box and poked around tonight, but couldn't find anything in there except filter oil /images/graemlins/tongue.gif