Weird Noise from Trans?? (B5.5 5 Speed Swap)

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Hey everyone, looking to bother you all again for advise.
My car recently developed some weird rattling noise that I cant really describe. It seems its coming from around the transmission/engine mating area.
I have a DUK 5 speed with a dual mass flywheel and sachs SRE clutch from Frans.
No codes are currently present.
I noticed on the highway last night when braking some oscillating vibrations, but only when braking. The noise/vibrations are not consistent at all unfortunately. Sometimes I hear it others it smooths out and goes away. Though it seems now its always present when the car is stopped and idling without the clutch engaged. If I depress the clutch sometimes when stopped it seems like it affects it but like I said its never consistent so I cant really tell.
I tried recording a clip to show what it is. This is the only way I can get it to keep making the noise. It happens right when the engine RPMs come die down at any point when I rev it.

https://youtu.be/CdriLbACR2k

Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
some one on this forum had the same problem, turned out to be a bent shield overlooked on rebuild.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I have a feeling its something with the clutch assembly. When I press the clutch in the noise goes away, if i let it back out the clanging happens again.

What could potentially fail in this assembly? The clutch feels fine for the most part, other than being able to feel the banging through the clutch pedal itself when it happens. I have a dual mass flywheel as well, but if it was seized wouldn't it behave differently?

I have just about 25k miles since the trans swap btw. Could the DMF have failed already???

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
It sounds to me like a DMF failure. Was the DMF new? I've seen them last long time, 200k+ and I've seen them destroyed in fewer miles than yours. In my opinion, I would not use a DMF unless absolutely necessary. A front wheel drive passat does not need a DMF to operate smoothly so I wouldn't use one.

Most AWD VW and Audi swaps do benefit significantly in smoothness with a DMF and I would use one in those cases. The AWD system seems prone to resonant vibration. The DMF eliminates it completely.

Not all DMF failures are seizures, sometimes the internal springs break and the broken ends "thread" inside one another, resulting in a bunch of free play with very little spring at the ends of the stroke. judging by the sound of yours, I think this is what has happened.
Damn, yeah from what I was told by Frans it was sold to me it was a "New Sachs DMF". I've emailed him for the part number, maybe Sachs has a warranty or something if its that.

If I can find a replacement DMF I might stick with that, with the truck project going on, I don't wanna drop the capital right now to convert to a single mass setup.

Though this might be nice and eliminate my shutter in 5th, fx100 is probably closest to the clutch I have now. https://whitbreadperformance.com/.....

Anyone know what DMF works with this clutch? Sachs 999715.999961

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Does anyone know if this will work with my clutch?

amazon.com/LuK-DMF039

For the price even if it only lasts another 30k, that would be another 2-3 years for me, so I'd rather do that for now to keep the car running so I can finish my truck.

My clutch has never had slipping issues so I'm guessing as long as there aren't any hot-spots/glazing and it has enough thickness left I can just replace the DMF alone right?

Anyone have an extra clutch alignment tool?