Weird noise/click around 2000 RPM

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I have an intermittent click / sort of whippeting sound that's timed with the crank rotation that seems to be coming from the transmission side of the engine. I can only discern it when the engine is revved to 2000ish RPMs. It's pretty loud from outside the car (hearing the noise bounce off a nearby wall to me) but is barely discernible inside the cabin. Does it with the clutch in or out, but is loudest when in overrun around 2000 RPM, moving or stationary.

I've looked under the car and nothing is rubbing on the downpipe or anything. Sound is not coming from there.

I suspect the clutch. it appeared after driving all day and doing some some hard pulls, and grinding going into second gear a couple times (which is unusual). But given that it happens whether the clutch is in or out, the only thing I can think of that would do that is the clutch disc hub itself being damaged and slightly out of balance because of it. Immediately goes away when I press in the clutch while moving, but still makes the sound when I rev with the clutch pedal pressed.

My first instinct was that it could be a lifter and I ruined my head, but the sound is not as rhythmic or consistent as a lifter, and it actuates twice as fast as the lifters actuate. It also came on suddenly one day instead of gradually. I'm not ruling out an engine internal, but the engine runs and feels just as smooth as it always has, and the oil pressure is exactly the same as it always is.

I'm thinking I might have overwhelmed the clutch and broke a clutch disc isolator spring. The stock replacement Sachs quiet clutch has about 40,000 miles on it and has juddered since day one... Stage 2 tune and putting out pretty good torque.

Before I go pulling the trans is there anything else I should check? I'll see if I can capture it on video but it's very hard to isolate it from the rest of the engine noise on a video.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Your theory sounds reasonable. Is it that bothersome that you’re willing to pull the trans for it?

-Todd

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Considering I just had the entire engine out, frustrating. Serves me right for re-using the same questionable clutch...

I’ll probably live with it for now before my suspension refresh kit comes in December.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Update here was that my power steering pump had come loose and I had left off a bolt or two when reattaching all the brackets… causing the P/S bracket to shear and rattle around. Pulled one at a junkyard and all is better.

Unfortunately I went wild and bought a new south bend clutch kit… thinking it was the clutch. I’m too lazy to return it so I might as well put it on when it comes time to replace the suspension.