Weird 6 speed clutch issue.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The Intro:
Okay, so I don't usually post anymore, but here's the deal:
I've got a member of the forum that I converted his 5 speed to a 6 speed back in May after he had a diff fail. All parts were Customer Supplied, including a 6 speed specific clutch kit
The Problem:
The clutch will disengage at a normal height, except at about 1" from the floor it will start engaging again. Today after bleeding the system there are very random small flakes of what appears to be a silver colored metal that came out of the hydraulic system.
The Troubleshooting:
I have replaced:
The fluid about 100 times (might be an exaggeration)
The Master Cylinder
The Pressure Line
The Breather adapter
The Slave Cylinder
The Small Print:
The 6 speed, for those of you who don't know have a slave cylinder that is also the throwout bearing, It requires you to remove the transmission to replace... the only parts that I have found that are the same between the 5 and 6 speeds is the clutch pedal assembly and the feed line from the reservoir.
Any Ideas?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Assuming the over-center spring is OK, it could be a function of the pressure plate spring characteristics (i.e., very high clamping force).

What happens when the clutch pedal is held just below the release point for several minutes? Does it lose any pressure?

If the clutch is cycled many times (20-50), does the behavior change?

I have no idea about the silver color you saw.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
It's a southbend stage 2

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Could it be the slave is stroking too far? Maybe master cylinder on the car moves more volume of fluid than the one that goes with the tranny? Can you adjust the linkage from pedal to master cylinder to lower the effective piston stroke?

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
I have the same set up in my 02 golf had a similar experience found a slight leak on one of the seals on the flexible line that goes to the throw out bearing/slave where the bleeder is. no problems since seal replaced that caused a slight leak and bleed down of system would not hold pressure. very slight.

alphaseinor

TDI
Actually, I finally pulled everything apart, it looks like the springs in the clutch disc have come apart.

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
well unfortunate but at least you found the problem. my issue was the leaky seal and a hell of a time bleeding the slave.