Weight of a 4-cyl engine

TBONE1969

TDI
None yet!
Hey guys,

I have been searching through all the threads trying to find the weight of the 1.9L and 2.0L engines (long block with all the sensors, wiring, etc). Has anyone happened to weigh one of these motors while they had it out?

Thanks!

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
mojogoes said:

Sounds more like pounds to me. If that was in kilos that would be increadibly heavy. I had my engine out of the car this past winter for some major work and it definately was not 365 kg.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
weighed my pd before I installed it in my boat.348 pounds with all the accessories on.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
SilveR316 said:
Sounds more like pounds to me. If that was in kilos that would be increadibly heavy. I had my engine out of the car this past winter for some major work and it definately was not 365 kg.
Was the gearbox and all the auxillaries manifolds turbo etc attached to it though!!:rolleyes:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
No gearbox, the flywheel was on but without the pressure plate and clutch disk.Intake and exhaust manifold and turbo were on as were the starter and alternator and non stock motor mounts.No air conditioner pump.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
So just another 100 lbs or so for the box especially if it has an LSD......so pounds not kilo's must be right!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
shakescreek said:
weighed my pd before I installed it in my boat.348 pounds with all the accessories on.
Holy Cr$%, you install a PD motor in a boat? How big is that boat? Do you Ski behind it or just troll? If your trolling make sure you do the Itanian Tune up once in a while. Good luck fishing.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
There are few TDI powered boats in Finland and few are on the making... In theory it would be the ultimate engine for a decently sized boat. Well the daydream would be a CR engine with alu block :)

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
boat is an 18'6" welded aluminum jetboat. I don't ski or fish much from it.I live on a river in a remote area with no road access so my boat is my main transportation just like your cars are for most of you.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
shakescreek said:
boat is an 18'6" welded aluminum jetboat. I don't ski or fish much from it.I live on a river in a remote area with no road access so my boat is my main transportation just like your cars are for most of you.
Hi L,

Great to hear your still running the TDI boat! I have some upgrades for your ecu when you are ready. I still haven't made it to BC, but will let you know if and when I am going there.

What a cool project.

cya,
Jeff

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Itanian tune up? Are they a new country? Sounds like south florida!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
VW sells packaged TDI's for marine use. 4,5,6 cyl up to about 225hp. Available here in the states. Gregory Poole (a CAT dealer) sells them.

-Eric

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Jeff, yes the boat is still running great.Have about 350 hours on the tdi now and the more time I get on it the more impressed I am with the engine.Just got vagcom and a new laptop in the mail today so I can start playing with that.What kind of updates have you been working on? Can't do without the boat for a while yet but should pulling it out of the water in october sometime for the winter and could send you the ecu then.Would love to take you for a ride down to Alaska and back if you ever get up this way.We've been sitting in the living room watching two grizzlys chasing salmon in the creek below the house here this evening. Do you or anyone else on here know how mileage would equate to hours. I am just wondering what kind of hours would be equivalent to 100k miles for timing belt changes.I am guessing about 1000 hours what do you all think.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
shakescreek said:
Do you or anyone else on here know how mileage would equate to hours. I am just wondering what kind of hours would be equivalent to 100k miles for timing belt changes.I am guessing about 1000 hours what do you all think.
Would mean you go average of 100 mph :eek:

Take your average speed, multiply by hours, you should get approximate mileage.

Right?

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Well, he might be set to cruise at peak HP RPM so that average speed might be higher than you think. Actual speed on the water will not be close, but the RPM's will tell you.

What is the cruising RPM?

Jason

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Cruise is anywhere from 2300 to 3000 rpm depending on how much weight I have in the boat at the time as well as how much of a hurry I'm in. Load on the engine is probably much greater than the same rpm in a car though as a boat doesn't push near as easily. The impeller absorbs 60 hp at 2300, 72hp at 2500,90hp at 2700, and 123hp at 3000rpm. 2600 to 2700 is probably what I average so thats 80 to 90hp continuously often for 5 or 6 hours without touching the throttle.Not sure engine load would make much difference on timing belt changes though, probably more rpm related. Load should probably be taken into account though on the oil changes which I have been doing at 100hr intervals.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
shakescreek said:
Cruise is anywhere from 2300 to 3000 rpm depending on how much weight I have in the boat at the time as well as how much of a hurry I'm in. Load on the engine is probably much greater than the same rpm in a car though as a boat doesn't push near as easily. The impeller absorbs 60 hp at 2300, 72hp at 2500,90hp at 2700, and 123hp at 3000rpm. 2600 to 2700 is probably what I average so thats 80 to 90hp continuously often for 5 or 6 hours without touching the throttle.Not sure engine load would make much difference on timing belt changes though, probably more rpm related. Load should probably be taken into account though on the oil changes which I have been doing at 100hr intervals.
1000 hours may not be a bad interval then.

Have you considered get Used Oil Analysis done on your oil samples?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
What I would suggest is use the standard formula for 15k miles a year for 100k is 6 2/3 years prior to your timing belt change. I would then look to find out how many hrs a day people would drive and then compare it to your boat. That should give you a rough estimate of hrs/year and at what point you cross the 6 year mark. But honestly the best thing to think about is checking it out with your eyes. a visual inspection should be key every spring and fall.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
TB change intervals on industrial and military applications is more time dependant by calander, than actual hours of use, since they sit inside very hot enclosures for extended times, and may be exposed to harsh chemicals and elements like hydraulic fluids, salt water, etc. Rubber (NBR) offgasses with heat shortening intended mtbf (life). Corrosion and/or rust on pulleys from damp environments (like boat hulls) also contributes to abrasion and premature tooth wear.

Last edited: