WEC coming to Texas, Sept 20th.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The best in the world are finally returning to the US.

"The provisional entry list for Round 4 of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas, has been unveiled with 29 cars due to take the start on Saturday 20 September. Three teams from the USA will be joining the grid, one each in LMP2, LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am. This will give American fans the chance to see the Corvette Racing C7.R taking on the manufacturer teams from Aston Martin, Ferrari and Porsche on home soil for the first time."
(snip)
"The 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas is part of the Lone Star Le Mans event at the circuit in Austin, Texas on the 18-20 September and marks the beginning of the second half of the 2014 season. The race in the USA will be followed by 6-hour races in Japan, China, Bahrain and culminating in the season finale in Sao Paulo, Brazil on the 30 November."

The entry list is here. Nine LMP1 cars: two Audi R18 e-tron quattros. Two Toyota TS 040s. Two Porsche 919 Hybrids. Two Rebeliions and a Lotus.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
And hopefully it will be televised.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It appears that the IMSA/TUDOR United Sports Car Championship series, the merger between ALMS and the Rolex Sports Car Series, will be the afternoon of Sept 20th; then the WEC event will follow with a green flag at 5 pm CDT. So lots of good racing that day, and a chance for former fans of ALMS to see some world-class LMP1 cars for a change.

The IMSA/TUDOR USSC race should be on FoxSports 1 or 2. Since the cameras and crew will already be in place, it would make sense for FoxSports to broadcast the 6-Hour WEC race as well. We'll see.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
God I wish I could go to this and see some real motor racing. That NASCAR DP Sports car crap is unwatchable, but the WEC will be incredible.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I sooo want to go.
It's 1 tank round trip for me.
Anybody else going?
I'm almost certainly going if I can convince any of my local buddies to split the cost with me/ I'm not really a fan of going alone.

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
COTA, Main Grandstand, Section 210, Row 1, Seat 3 or 4...:D

Traveling from PCB on the 18th, I-10 all the way, slight detour to San Marcos...just have not decided whether to take my 2009 sedan or the 2011 SW.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Mad congrats.
If I don't do SEMA this year (which I really should) I'll be there.
I'm Off to see how rediculious air fair is to Vegas and compare it to 1 tank of D2.

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks...Tank +1/2 (foot gets heavier on I-10?) for 12-13 hrs. Just going to sit back and enjoy the drive. Been looking for a race with the Etron and missed Sebring, so this was the next option, without booking a flight to Europe...and I don't like flying anymore unless I absolutely have to do so.

Hope to see you there!

exotic.33.cars

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I will be there! I will be working so I can't spectate very much, but I have never been to COTA so I am excited! Anyone driving from a far distance so we can compare MPG's??

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I'm going! I have family 30 mins from COTA that I'm staying with...free lodging ftw. It should be about a 800+ mile round trip for me, so I'll have some MPG stats to share. Driving down from central Oklahoma on Wednesday the 17th.

I was planning on Petit Le Mans again this year because I had a blast last year at Road Atlanta, but like some of you guys are saying I can't seem to find the DP's interesting. Also, Braselton is about 800+ miles one-way for me as opposed to 360 miles one-way to Austin. I've never been to COTA and it just makes more sense to drive half the distance and see the WEC and the TUSC race as well as the supporting races.

I'm actually very excited to watch the WEC cars. I've been watching the series for years and have never seen or heard the Audi's in person, and with Porsche back in LMP1 this race is a no-brainer. I'm also pumped to see the Rebellions and the Lotus privateers battle in LMP1-L.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like I'm going, not sure if we will get to stay with friends or not, but I should be there.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you guys want to try to meet up during the race or anything?
I'm not a very good organizer, but I'd enjoy meeting other TDI enthusiast interacted in endurance racing.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I'll be parking in the H parking lot and have seats at T-15, but will be doing a lot of walking around. Leaving wednesday night after work, driving 5.5 hours down to Austin so I can be there when the gates open thursday morning to get some good pics and video during all the practice sessions when the track isn't crowded.

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Likewise, I will be doing a lot of moving around, but my seating is posted earlier. I am in A parking... Will be getting to track early on Friday as well to do some photos and walk of lane prior to qualifying...

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
1 more hour at work, then departure for Austin :D (5.5 hr drive)
1 More day at work, then leave for Austin.
I need to get some work on the car in, and pack tonight.
5.5 hours for me also.

Last time I made that trip I was in a 2013 Focus with <200 miles on it when I left and the transmission was toast long before we arrived. Think I'm going to go in my ALH car to keep he bad new car VooDoo off of the CR.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in T 15 S6 row 1 seats 3-4-5 if anyone gets bored.

RedInk

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, Teak brown
Some news from the battlefield: "... Despite a dissapointing qualifying session ‎Audi‬ remains optimistic for Saturday’s FIA WEC race at Circuit of The Americas. Because of problems with the lap trigger the Audi R18 e-tron quattro qualified in P4 and P6. “We will attack with full strength” said Chris Reinke, Head of LMP."

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First a red flag, then less than 5 minutes to go with a green flag, and then that period had a yellow flag come out. So bad luck for Audi, but I don't think those starting positions reflect the true pace of each car.

They are predicting 85° but no rain for the 5 pm CDT start, gradually cooling to 77° toward the end.

Since Comcast does not carry FoxSports 2, I'll be looking for a website, probably the one that had the 24 Hours of Le Mans flag to flag. And Radio LeMans for audio.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm getting sprinkled on now, but clear skies.
I'm sure it will be 100% dry at start.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heavy rain squall right now and for about 10 minutes or so, and no one running rain tires. Spinouts, collisions ... #2 Audi in the pits for wets.

Red flag. Too many cars have spun out, and no room in the gravel traps for any more.

Both Audis made it to the pits for tires and got back out before the red flag. So when the race resumes, they should start 1 and 2. One Porsche made it to the pits, the other is still stuck in the mud or gravel. Same with Toyota, not sure where they will restart.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Completely clear, I went up to tower, it started storming, I'm on the stairs now.
Wish I could see.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When the green flag comes out, there will be one safety car lap. The two Audis will start 1-2 and be a full lap ahead of the Toyotas and Porsches.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't post this, but if any TDI club members are reading this and are still here, just walk up in to the main grandstand for epic pit views from 90% empty seats.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Over, and Audis are first and second. Toyota third and ... Porsche fourth, I think.