Webasto Euro Remote programming?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
So lito may be the only person who would know this.... but does anyone know how to program a T90 remote for a webasto parking heater.

I tried the instructions I found for the US remote of applying power to the yellow wire 5 times in 5 seconds and it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Anyone got any thoughts?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
So its possible my issue is wiring related. I have a webasto Y cable for hooking up the remote receiver. It attaches in line with the cable that goes to the 24 hour timer. My current problem is the connector on my cable is for a mercedes branded receiver and not a vw branded receiver so its not a perfect fit. It is a 6 pin connector as is the receiver and thus can be forced to fit in place.

The wiring on the 6 pin connector is:

1. red
2. (empty)
3. black
4. grey
5. purple
6. brown

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
David,

I have the correct part number for the connector to your receiver, it's at home and I will post the number for you. The Mercedes connector is the "old"style I was telling you about, and the Webasto receiver is the "new style" I was telling you about.

Does the LED on the remote light up?

There is a procedure to match the remote to the receiver. I will look for the instructions at home.

Sorry about the photo quality. But this was taken last Saturday. But, based upon your pics, it looks like the wires are in the same locations.

I can see the RED, GRAY, PURPLE, and BROWN wires. The black is probably there too, we just can't see it.

Lito

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Awesome. Birdman contacted me and faxed me the instructions for setting up the remote and that made it work. Now I just need to replace that connector and my setup will be all set.

The procedure was:

Pull black 1 amp fuse from webasto fuse block. Wait atleast 5 seconds.
Reinstall fuse and within 5 seconds press and hold off button on remote for 1 second.

And that was it!

Now you wouldnt happen to know off hand which wires on the antenna are for what? Both leads on my antenna had the same connector(same as the connector for the receiver). One had red plastic housing and the other had a blue plastic housing.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Oh, and is that an OEM bracket to hold the receiver?

Side note. THe cable to go from the antenna to that lower section of the dash. I went with the 3.5 meter cable and had a fair amount of extra. I need to doublecheck when I get it all back together but I believe the 3 meter cable would have been long enough.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jerry sent me a note tonight! But I did find mine. I was close, right? Not bad from my failing memory.

Not sure about the antennae wires. Yes, that is the OEM bracket. It holds the receiver and the filter. I drilled a hole in it and mounted it on the same screw the CCM is attached.

L

Last edited:

djeuroalex

TDI
97 passat tdi, 02 jetta tdi.
very cool info.. can anyone tell me wich remote activates the heater module (black box above) OEM remote?? AND what buttons and how many times to press? THANK YOU!!!!

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
To activate the heater module you press the "ON" button on the remote. ;)

No really, I dont want to sound like too much of an arse, but do a search on here for webasto and you will see what we are talking. To be honest, the retail cost of just the remote would be enough to scare most people off from this mod. Then when you add in the cost of the receiver, wiring and antenna, it would scare off most of the rest. And we havent even considered the cost of the heater itself at that point.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
david_594 said:
To activate the heater module you press the "ON" button on the remote. ;)

No really, I dont want to sound like too much of an arse, but do a search on here for webasto and you will see what we are talking. To be honest, the retail cost of just the remote would be enough to scare most people off from this mod. Then when you add in the cost of the receiver, wiring and antenna, it would scare off most of the rest. And we havent even considered the cost of the heater itself at that point.
Birdman is selling his remote, receiver and FOB for an excellent price.

Lito

Pete B

TDI
VW Transporter T5 4Motion
Similar question about a T91

Hi,

Sorry to drag up a very old thread - it seemed neater than starting a new one when my question is so similar....

I'm trying to add a Telestart T91 to my existing set up and have a question about the wiring - I need to make my own Y cable. David or Lito, I'd be very grateful if you could have a look and advise.

I have a 2006 VW Transporter T5 2.5 TDI 4motion. I've recently had a Webasto Thermotop C fitted, as part of converting the van to a camper.
I've got a fan blower box heat exchanger to heat the rear, a water heat exchanger for the hot tap in the sink, and an engine pre-heating loop.
I've got a control panel for the blower box, and a digital timer for the parking heater mode.

We've had a cold snap here in UK, and it's been great being able to pop out to the van, press the on button on the digital timer, and then go out 30 mins later to a warm van with clear windows and pre-heated engine. But it would be even nicer not to have the leave the house first! (We don't use the van every day, so we aren't using the timer function)

I looked into getting a webasto dealer to fit a telestart, but they wanted over £800 fitted! I found a T91 from Poland on ebay for £135 and will try to fit myself. I found a manual on the web, and it looks like it's a case of unplugging the digital timer, and then reconnecting the telestart and the digital timer with a Y cable.

The T91 has the same socket as David's (and a very similar part number):

I can't find a Y cable for this, but I do have a standard one, which can be made to fit, though it is bending the pins slightly and so not ideal:

A cable came with the T91 which has the correct plug for the socket, but nothing at the other end:

So I plan to to make my own Y cable by combining the two.
What's worrying me is the pin order.
One the standard Y cable we have:
1 Red
2 -
3 Black
4 Grey
5 Purple
6 Brown
On the supplied cable we have:
1 Red
2 Black
3 Green
4 Orange
5 White
6 Brown
I'm concerned about Black being on 3 on the standard Y cable, and 2 on the provided connector.

Reading the previous posts, it looks like you confirm that the standard Y cable layout is correct - I just wanted to check this before going ahead and installing - don't want to fry the unit!

I would really appreciate your advice, and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Pete.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Total shot in the dark.... but grab a multimeter and measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3 on the receiver.

Im currently out of town and won't be back to my car until early next week, but at that point I can get you any additional details on the wiring you need. The picture of the connector are how I have it though, so I would imagine they would work.

Pete B

TDI
David,

Thanks very much for reply - I will try that.
That would be great if you could check when you get a chance.

(It just wasn't clear to me from the previous posts whether you ran successfully with the y-cable plugged in with the wrong connector)

Thanks,

Pete.

Pete B

TDI
That's great - I will give that a try tomorrow then!

Thanks again,

Pete.

Pete B

TDI
David,

Thanks very much for your help - that gave me the confidence to go ahead.

Remove fuse, fit y-cable/T91/aerial, replace fuse, press stop on remote, test - telestart and all existing controllers all working - the job's a good 'un!

Snowed here again today - driving tomorrow morning - looking forward to starting the telestart from the breakfast table!

Thanks again,

Pete.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
So over the last 6 years, the performance of my T90 remote has slowly gone downhill to that point that it wouldnt consistently work even standing next to the car. So I finally decided to investigate it.

My first concern was my dual band vw antenna which does GPS and GSM; both leads are farka connectors and neither are labeled. And I was never sure I had it connected to the right lead. Someone posted the color coding in another post:

White or gray - FM/AM radio with phantom supply(power inside antenna cable).
Black - DAB (Digital Radio in Europe)
Bordeaux violet(Red) - GSM phone
Green - Sat Radio
Blue - GPS navigation
Curry (yellow) - Radio controlled WEBASTO
Water blue - Universal, fits with every fakra connector
From this antenna thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357992

The webasto T90/91 remotes can use the GSM antenna. In Lito's post above, you can actually see the vw splitter/duplexer for the GSM lead to the webasto. On some newer antennas there are discrete antenna for both GSM and the webasto.

I hooked mine up to red, and the remote was still useless and it was time to start throwing parts at it. So I ordered a new T91 telestart remote off ebay and about a week later I received a small envelope from Poland with a new remote! The new remote that arrived is a fraction of the size of the older T90 remote. This was a surprise to me, as I had never seen the two compared side by side before:

Programmed the new remote, and like magic it works again! It now works perfectly from ~100 feet away sitting inside my house! Just in time for another winter. No more running outside and across the street to hop in my car 15 minutes before I leave to start the heater. :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is the second year we've had our newer-style remotes. My wife loves them because they are so small. I can zap my car from the street even when it's on level 6 (parking garage)provided I'm on the same side. But it zaps it!

Our larger remotes degraded over time as well. So much so the they didn't work inside of the car! I never posted anything because nobody here talks about these units anymore.

Monday I'm installing a universal webasto, as you know David, with climatronic. He ordered a t91 telestart which includes this new remote

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
David,

I have the correct part number for the connector to your receiver, it's at home and I will post the number for you. The Mercedes connector is the "old"style I was telling you about, and the Webasto receiver is the "new style" I was telling you about.

Does the LED on the remote light up?

There is a procedure to match the remote to the receiver. I will look for the instructions at home.

Sorry about the photo quality. But this was taken last Saturday. But, based upon your pics, it looks like the wires are in the same locations.

I can see the RED, GRAY, PURPLE, and BROWN wires. The black is probably there too, we just can't see it.

Lito
Hey Lito You know what parts I have for the Telestart and I may be able to find the remote. I did have one that came with the rest of the stuff I got for Germany Ebay it was a small one like in the picture I will have to look around for it.