Webasto B4 Installation Part I

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Though I would post up a little information that I was not ever able to determine prior to embarking on the project...

In the last week I swapped a TDI drivetrain into a 96 GLX wagon. While doing so I wanted to install a Webasto heating unit. It turns out with a little fabrication work, the B4 chassis is a great fit ( at least so far ).

For one thing, the 96 Passat has the 5th injector plumbed in, remove that and feed the Webasto unit's pump with that line, the location of the factory 5th injector pump is on the side of the air box with a nice rubber grommet, the Webasto pump fits into the grommet and functionally works great in that same location as the actual heating unit mounts below the air box where on the VR6 a charcoal cannister belongs. Below are some pictures to show the cutting that was required to make it fit:

BTW: The unit takes some time to initially purge all the air from but the coolant system still burped fine and expelled all it's air, the unit is heated to coolant temp along with the engine, the heat output from the core seems unaffected so far but it's not winter yet and it's not pumping heat into the system yet.

Original sheet metal:

Test fitting the unit:

Area primed and undercoated: ( the large cutout below the framerail is for the pump wiring loom )

Top cutout area:

Top with air box on: ( I had to remove the "ribs" molded on the bottom of the box.

With the unit and fuel pump/lines installed:

Coolant lines at the firewall ( I helped myself to the VR6 heater core hose and it worked out perfect for the application )

Coolant lines going through the bottom of the airbox ( yes through, why not? )

There will be a second part of this... ( I have to deal with the wiring and antenna for the remote, the visible LED and other such things... )

Last edited:

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
Nice Job!

3 years ago, I installed an Espar Hydronic D5 on my Passat. The only place it could fit was exactly in that metallic bumper support on the right side. The Espar fits inside without any cutting, beeing probably smaller than the Webasto.

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I got this fully installed and will provide an update to this with the rest of the install but don't have the pictures do so right now. These things rock, my glow plugs have probably seen 30 seconds of action max this winter since this little wonder has been in service.

BTW: I swiss cheesed a few holes into my air filter lower housing to make up for lost volume where the coolant lines travel through the original intake ports.

mijbo11

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta
How does your battery fair with the extra load. Ive only installed these on trucks or equipment with multiple batteries. im asking because i am considering relocating the battery to the trunk and using a larger battery, when i install an espar.

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
I am looking to find a webasto myself. Any suggestions for finding a used one other than ebay or craigslist? Would a semi salvage yard be worth the effort?

Thanks,
Glenn

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an Optima Red Top and ( don't bother telling me the AH rating isn't good enough ) with an hour of run time in the single digit temps, my car starts far faster than just starting it cold. I have zero issues whatsoever with battery drain at all with mine. The Espar doesn't run the interior fan like the Webasto does so, you have much less to worry about. Although, the interior fan heating is what makes the Webasto so great IMO, if I had an Espar, I would find a way to mimic that circuit...

Can't help with parts, marine connections, German ebay, or just sucking it up and paying the full price are my only recomendations. I know it's a lot of money, but once you own one it's hard to put a price on the benefits.