Weakest internal???

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Oh I'm very aware of all the costs
I don't think you do.
Just in tires and fees for events for light use you are looking at a maintenance package 3500 a year. Then you have custom insurance to cover the cost you just made and 90% of the time to get that coverage for 3x the cars value in parts alone you usually get track insurance and that's about 2 grand maybe 3 grand a year.
My 718 with a trans tune and re71s and autocross fees and some other track cross and what not all kn is about 6 grand a year with insurance but that's on a 135k car. And I'm not willing to push her into a wall like you might.
Yiu will always be finding a weak link. Some part that never works right. Your time working on all this adds up.
In the end. Buy a race car meant to do things.
It's a hobby.
Oh and if your just street racing or just not doing jack tiddly squat with all that power then why bother?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The fun is in the modding, when a car works well after you finished modding it you kinda get bored and look for the next project in line to work on ! Sometimes the next project comes before you get rid of the previous and you end up with 2 Project cars, then 3 and so on ! As you grow older you realize speed isn’t everything and family takes priority and you start saving for school fees or a better house with a larger garage for you to fill with more stuff you need ! We all fell down the rabbit hole and no matter how many try to talk you out, we still don’t learn off their mistakes!
With the amount of kit and knowledge floating about the net nowadays, building a 300 Bhp engine is not far fetched and well within the OP budget however how reliable will be ? Depends on engine health, quality of the hardware used, mechanical sympathy and the quality of the tune used- that what makes the difference ! As for the OP, it’s better to invest the money into a house which has potential to appreciate but where’s the fun in it ! Good luck with whichever option you might go…

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
He said he cant afford forged internals. So that means he cant afford much let alone a house? Lll houses are a bad investment when your working with a few grand

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
He said he cant afford forged internals. So that means he cant afford much let alone a house? Lll houses are a bad investment when your working with a few grand
Just let him build his engine... 😄

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
I don't think you do.
Just in tires and fees for events for light use you are looking at a maintenance package 3500 a year. Then you have custom insurance to cover the cost you just made and 90% of the time to get that coverage for 3x the cars value in parts alone you usually get track insurance and that's about 2 grand maybe 3 grand a year.
My 718 with a trans tune and re71s and autocross fees and some other track cross and what not all kn is about 6 grand a year with insurance but that's on a 135k car. And I'm not willing to push her into a wall like you might.
Yiu will always be finding a weak link. Some part that never works right. Your time working on all this adds up.
In the end. Buy a race car meant to do things.
It's a hobby.
Oh and if your just street racing or just not doing jack tiddly squat with all that power then why bother?

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
That's Mongler for you...
No I understand but don't judge someone off of a website. I'm very well on my to entrepreneurship. I'm not planing on boosting it to 300 hp right off the bat it's gonna be a slow process. I didn't come here looking for Opinions on what I should really do
I came here for answers about the motor so i know what's safe and what's not

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I may come off as a load of bovine excrement but I mean well.
My 230hp smoke monster was a blast and I loved it.
You just came off as the type of person I was back in the day. Cant afford I ternals but want some serious power and fun.
350hp you were running after here at the beginning of this thread was just a big red flag to me for you.
You ca make serious power and fun for about 5 grand total like I did and be fairly reliable.
Big boost and nozzles. Lota of low end smoke but not too bad up high. Big tune. Lots of revs. And spray water to control massive egts.
I did 230hp reliably with no water spray kn my gt2052 and 764s. Spend the $ on a decent suspention and epic tires and autocross fees.
Or just buy a 400hp beast or build it and possibly never know what that cash in hand and driver experiance is.
I made plenty of mistakes but once I got into autocross I found so much usefull experiance. Power is 30% of what you need.
For 4 years I still didnt get past stock pos box mobiles like fiat500s or stock WRX's and even lonely old boxers were spanking my beast.
It's the driver. Not the car until you become experienced.
40 events is about where you start to get good and think about more power than stickyer tires.
I really want you to build a nice budget tdi power build. They are awesome in every way. If that's the hobby or goal. If the goal is to have a fun car... go buy it.

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
I may come off as a load of bovine excrement but I mean well.
My 230hp smoke monster was a blast and I loved it.
You just came off as the type of person I was back in the day. Cant afford I ternals but want some serious power and fun.
350hp you were running after here at the beginning of this thread was just a big red flag to me for you.
You ca make serious power and fun for about 5 grand total like I did and be fairly reliable.
Big boost and nozzles. Lota of low end smoke but not too bad up high. Big tune. Lots of revs. And spray water to control massive egts.
I did 230hp reliably with no water spray kn my gt2052 and 764s. Spend the $ on a decent suspention and epic tires and autocross fees.
Or just buy a 400hp beast or build it and possibly never know what that cash in hand and driver experiance is.
I made plenty of mistakes but once I got into autocross I found so much usefull experiance. Power is 30% of what you need.
For 4 years I still didnt get past stock pos box mobiles like fiat500s or stock WRX's and even lonely old boxers were spanking my beast.
It's the driver. Not the car until you become experienced.
40 events is about where you start to get good and think about more power than stickyer tires.
I really want you to build a nice budget tdi power build. They are awesome in every way. If that's the hobby or goal. If the goal is to have a fun car... go buy it.
Ya I've owned many tdi's myself but never actually built one and that's what I wanna do and I wanna do it right. And my plan is to boost to 200 whp for now and then slowly get it ready for right around 300 whp

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Do what you have to do mate, set your goal high enough and fight till you get there ! Power is addictive and you soon get used to it hence spending money once, right is the way to go ! Get the bigger nozzles you can afford, the newest turbo you can find and fit in there and spend a good chunk of your money on the tune- it’s what ties all the ingredients together ! Bulett proofing the bottom end is necessary if you stress things too far. Whatever your budget- double it and you may be close to your power goal !

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imo you spend more $ going steps at a time planning and making parts for future upgrades.
Either save up and do it all at once and save a few bucks doing it or just set the goal lower to what can be done in one shot.
Thjngs like water meth and tunes and boost adding are obviously not what I'm taking about. I'm just saying that the build needs to be what it is when done.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Building a full out 300+ reliable build is always head work, cam, full internals and girdle. Big turbo and nozzles. You you fly past 200 easily. So no need to go slow. It's the internals obviously.

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
Building a full out 300+ reliable build is always head work, cam, full internals and girdle. Big turbo and nozzles. You you fly past 200 easily. So no need to go slow. It's the internals obviously.
Yes I definitely wanna do all the internals. But I don't get why you want me to put a girdle plate in? The better the compression ratio the more power

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
Do what you have to do mate, set your goal high enough and fight till you get there ! Power is addictive and you soon get used to it hence spending money once, right is the way to go ! Get the bigger nozzles you can afford, the newest turbo you can find and fit in there and spend a good chunk of your money on the tune- it’s what ties all the ingredients together ! Bulett proofing the bottom end is necessary if you stress things too far. Whatever your budget- double it and you may be close to your power goal !
I wanna go 120% injectors you that'll do the trick

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I definitely wanna do all the internals. But I don't get why you want me to put a girdle plate in? The better the compression ratio the more power
The bottom end of most of these tdi engines cant take past 250hp without a lower girdle plate for the crank mains. It can be done but you want longevity and being able to build a base that can take a shot for 350... you need a girdle plate.
Compression ratio changes have nothing to do with power. Its nessasary to change the compression to fit more air (boost) Into the engine without blowing it up.
Also food for thought a lot of us use injectable like propane and or nitrous. Both of those are epic kn a tdi as you cant over inject or the engine just stalls from being too cold of a injection and stops the combustion. TDIs require heat. Not compression. The heat from the compression makes the fuel flash and go bag. Inject too much of a phase changing material like nitrous and you stop that from happening. And likewise If you dont lower compression. And you increase the mass of air too much with boost yih make too much heat and thus preignition. Yiu can theoretically combad the over compression issue with Injection of methanol and water in a 50%50 mix to cool and increase fuel injected with the diesel to make more boom but controlled. It's a lazy way we get around this issue but its tricky and dangerous if your not a tunner or know what your doing.

Reidler

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001, Black
The bottom end of most of these tdi engines cant take past 250hp without a lower girdle plate for the crank mains. It can be done but you want longevity and being able to build a base that can take a shot for 350... you need a girdle plate.
Compression ratio changes have nothing to do with power. Its nessasary to change the compression to fit more air (boost) Into the engine without blowing it up.
Also food for thought a lot of us use injectable like propane and or nitrous. Both of those are epic kn a tdi as you cant over inject or the engine just stalls from being too cold of a injection and stops the combustion. TDIs require heat. Not compression. The heat from the compression makes the fuel flash and go bag. Inject too much of a phase changing material like nitrous and you stop that from happening. And likewise If you dont lower compression. And you increase the mass of air too much with boost yih make too much heat and thus preignition. Yiu can theoretically combad the over compression issue with Injection of methanol and water in a 50%50 mix to cool and increase fuel injected with the diesel to make more boom but controlled. It's a lazy way we get around this issue but its tricky and dangerous if your not a tunner or know what your doing.
So with all that in mind if you were building from scratch what compression ratio would you aim for?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd build up a 2L commonrail if the goal is 300 whp. Cheaper and more reliable in the long run.