Yes I know just a stage 3 cam won't hold it
And I know that all the internals need to be upgraded
But I'm wandering if stage 3 cam is the cam I need to hold 350 whp or do
You think I need a forged cam?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Yes, 350 bhp is doable on a stock pd150 engine with aftermarket cam, large injectors and big turbo frame: gtb,gtd, etc.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm sorry but if full internals are not a budget you can handle then the tires alone and how you will use them are worth more than the car is worth to you.
Performance isnt about budget when you go fill internals.it would be cheaper to spend 8 grand and just get a boxster or miata.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
By far to weakest part is the rods. Next would be valve springs, then pistons (need machining) girdle plate.
Then clutch.
Past this it would be fairly stout if you lowered expectations to a 250 max build.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok I see and what exactly do you mean by the pistons need machining?
Moor boost means more material and this yiu need to lower the compression a bit by making the bowls bigger and more effective for large nozzles to get to a 300hp #
This is why I say that if you cant afford the price tag for the parts alone.... you wont be able to handle the total engine cost build to reaches those goals relatively.
I think you got what happend to me when I saw the potential of a TDI and didnt ask what it costs in addition to parts.

MidnightDiesel

TDI
2004 bew tdi
Well I've done a fair amount of research and they actually don't recommend boring it out cuz of the small amount of material there already is around the bore

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What's your budget and what's your power goals? Your question is a very subjective one, as it will very much depend on which engine you have and how you build it. I assume you have a BEW due to your other post?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then another 2k around the engine and another 1k on suspention and 3k on tires. Dont forget wheels, big brake kit, and so on. Soon your car that is only insured for 3k will be worth 13k.
Ita not a smart move financially as you can go get a 310wbhp Subaru WRX for about 5k and put $1500 in tires on the stock wheels and still outperform your tdi in a corner.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Then another 2k around the engine and another 1k on suspention and 3k on tires. Dont forget wheels, big brake kit, and so on. Soon your car that is only insured for 3k will be worth 13k.
Ita not a smart move financially as you can go get a 310wbhp Subaru WRX for about 5k and put $1500 in tires on the stock wheels and still outperform your tdi in a corner.
Don’t we all start this way ? It doesn’t make financial sense to modify a engine built with economy in mind but we all like to tart up our cars with go fast bits even if they add zero benefits to the whole recipe ! Making a car cheap, fast and reliable is a bit of a dark art in this day and age however not impossible!!
As this path been walked before by many, you can capitalize on our expertise and pick the right ingredients for a reliable build. A cam, ported head, aftermarket rods, large nozzles and the biggest turbo will get you the wish horse power you crave, however as Mongler mentioned, you will likely spend the same amount on top of your budget for bits to help you keep the power in check: front mounted intercooler and larger piping,egt/boost/afr gauges, larger brakes, stronger clutch, aftermarket rods, supporting mods to the gearbox: locking diff, stronger driveshafts, hardened forks, support for input shaft on gearbox, single mass flywheel (not recommended unless it’s a heavy one and sprung clutch to take the load), wheels and sticky tyres…going down the rabbit hole is not short of surprises…

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Exactly. If it's the hobby you want. Go for it. I did kinda. I'm just saying this because the issue of "can I afford this" came up!
As long as your awar.... we cant read minds here and we see this all the time so.....

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
As far as the weakest internal component... That would be the rods. The bew has stronger rods than the alh, and could take 300 HP for a little bit if you went with a higher rpm lower compression setup.
In my opinion, $4000 won't get you very far to 300 HP unless you can do all the work yourself, and you patiently wait to find good quality parts at discounted prices. I built my alh that way by watching partouts and people selling off some of their extra parts. I was closer to the 160-200 HP mark and only had $2-3000 in it including the car (not counting my time)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I dont see the difference with a Jetta with an ls swap vs a 450hp build. Same price but ls is 10x more reliable and easy to work on.
This is why I love to see TDIs get built out.
Imo if this was 15 years ago... do it. Now... just have darkside build it for you. $ per miles it lasts will be 20x more worth it. Might take as long for them to build vs you.

Emkura

TDI
2003 1.9 ALH
This is why I say that if you cant afford the price tag for the parts alone.... you wont be able to handle the total engine cost build to reaches those goals relatively.
And then God forbid engine just explodes and disintegrates, that’s even more money (that you don’t have maybe??) in the hole.