Water temp

TDi110

Veteran Member
car is a 1.9 tdi, AHF engine.

After a 50 mile daily commute Vagcom shows water temp around the 80 - 85'c mark, the temp gauge shows 90'c.

I have seen from Vagcom that the engine loses temperature quickly ie from approx 85'c to 80'c. Is this normal?

Would this indicate a faulty thermostate?
Would this create above normal smoking?

Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If everything is working normally, the temp gage will always read 90°C. But the actual temperature may be higher or lower -- and again this is normal.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The dash gauge is not much more than a glorified idiot light. Mine shows 190F at anything above 165F and rarely moves back down in normal driving, although the ScanGauge or VagCom shows the temp falls quickly when the engine at no load, especially when it's -20F or colder out. Your dash gauge is operating "normally"-just very vauge like they all are. Although I see were someone just posted that they had replaced the "old" coolant sensor with the latest type replacement and has much more accurate dash gauge activity. That would be nice.