Water on floor

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
HELP!! The passengers side front floor is full of water!! I checked the sunroof drain and its clear. The glove box is dry. Can anyone help me figure out where this water is coming from. I have been running the A/C with the defroster so it could be the condencent drain but I don't know where it's located. Thanks

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Look on the firewall behind your engine. There is a little flap of material where the condensate drain is supposed to come from. Check that the flap is open. Try flexing it back and forth with something. Sometimes they are stiff or do not open from the factory. Once opened, this will allow the condensate to drain out of this hole.

Second: you can use a shopvac to get the water out; also, there is a rubber plug underneath the passenger footwell which can be removed to drain out if there is a lot of water. Make sure you replace it though.

My parents own a carpet cleaning company. We have some enzymes that stop/kill mold from growing. I don't know names, but there must be similar products on the net.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Mine just did this for the first time, about 6 weeks back when we got our first really strong overnight rainstorm for the season. I haven't been using the aircon at all, so I thought a rain/air channel might have become backed up (with leaves or whatever). It hasn't done this again, but I need to dig into it to see why it did that (total mystery to me, first time in 70k miles this happened); Larry. (2002 Jetta TDI wagon)

fhryder

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI (tornado red)
Hi:
Had this prob on my 2k2 golf last year.
Found a leaky door seal just above the mirror, water ran down behind the speaker and the door liner to the door sill then out onto the floor. Fixed it with a little strip of rubber weatherstrip matching the factory seal

Frank

vitalwolf

TDI
Passat 1996 forest green wagon
i had the same problem of soaking wet floor mats on the driver's side, front and back. it started after i had a poorly installed front windshield. turned out it leaked, and the installer failed to fix it after 3 trys.

unrelated, i was getting some body work done to prevent the spread of rust above the windshield (which is common and i would check this too) and they had to put a new WS in anyway. leaking to the floor stopped and taking care of the rust should prevent more serious leaking into the ceiling. then i just had to dry out all the mats and sound insulators.

to check the windshield for leaks, find someone with compressed air. spray a very foamy substance (dosnt matter what) on the exterior on the windshield seal. spray the compressed air inside as close to the seal as possible. if the foam moves, bubbles or sprays, you have a leak.

check out this link:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/remlinker.php?...amp;Main=861087

at least you can feel supported from lots fo others with a similar problem. good luck

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the suggestions guys; I'll check it out (rain drainage channels, tubes, window seals). My father also had a good suggestion, maybe not ideal but it will probably help -- dump a few bucketfuls of water on different places (windshield, door etc.) and watch inside from the interior, when/where does the water emerge. Will need dry-out again but that may be inevitable.

BTW there was mention of windshields above, and I encountered a problem with windshields as well -- in particular, if the installer doesn't remove quite all of the previous gasket, then the plate might not seat totally evenly, after being locked down (just my theory, I think this can make it more crack-prone); Larry.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I was getting water on the passenger side floor through the ventilation system during heavy rains this summer. It was actually coming through the cabin air filter. I found the drain channel area behind the rear end of the front fender liners to full of small leaves and dirt. Since cleaning it out I have had no further water inside the car

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
I have noticed a little black rubber tube end, protruding in the door area above the hinge on either side (driver, passenger) (not in the 2 aft doors of course). I guess it's supposed to weep drops of water, from the front door frame channels. The one on the passenger side (where I had water on the floor) was apparently full of water (though it hasn't rained in the past several days), I squeezed it and it peed out a few spoonfuls. Driver-side one was bone dry. Hmmm; Larry.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Related to my last text above, I have found (p. 60-13 in my Bentley book) in the Sunroof section, there are 2 Front and 2 Rear "water drain hoses", that explains the empties between the doors and pillars. It says you need a 90 inch flexible cable to clean the hoses, but I think in my case only the lower tail end may be crusty. The front hoses get cleaned from the sunroof "panel opening"; the rear hoses get cleaned from the rear bumper end (but it says the bumper would need to be removed). Just one more item to check/maintain ...Larry.