Water Leaks! $@#^%!#@$!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've recently been through and solved (I hope) multiple sources of water leaks into the B5 wagon.

Was one of the major contributors to the wiring issue which caused my CCM to die and kill pretty well all of the power accessories.

So... Imma going to list and list solutions for the leaks I have found - feel free to add your own.

I am now looking forward to fog-free windows this winter.

My leaks:

- Backup of water due to clogged drain under the battery
- Water leaking under the grommet under the brake booster (repurposed for the clutch master cylinder line in my manual conversion)
- Leaking into the HVAC and passenger side due to a rotten hvac filter sealing surface on the cowl
- Leaking into doors and into the car via a poor seal at the window regulator mounting plate in 3 out of 4 doors\
- I did not personally have, but want to mention sunroof drains - very common.

I'll be digging up pictures and posting fixes over the next little while.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I noticed my automatic sedan was filling up the battery box cavity.That drain grommet is just like the sunroof drains. It has the crimped lower section just like the sunroof drains. The first thing any B5.5 owner should do is cut those crimps off all three of them and problem goes away! All 5 of my b5.5's were plugged.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I tried chasing the a leak too and then when I thought i fixed it, it started to leak again so I gave up on it. Instead I drilled small holes in the plastic floor plugs in the rear driver side floor pan. Now most of the water will drain out instead of driving around with 3 gallons of it under the driver seat.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
As for cleaning up the interior after a leak: You are going to have to lift or remove the carpet. The cavity below the carpets will retain water even if the carpet appears to be dry. So, after sucking out all the water, get a surge protector and run its cord out through a knockoff in the spare tire well. Get some small fans, plug them in, and have them blow under the carpet. Get a whole house 50 pint dehumidifier (Costco FTW) and set it in a rear foot well. run its drain hose through the same knockout as the power cord. Set it to run on auto and let it go for a couple of days. The fans are needed to keep the air circulating for the dehumidifier and to push the drier air over the carpet.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Good idea. I think water can also get into the cabin air filter from above.