Water leak

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
I have water coming out of the seap hole at the end of the crankshaft where is it coming from?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Can you post a picture?

There is no coolant by the crank shaft , oil yes , coolant no.

Are you sure that your water pump isn’t leaking and running down the block to the crank shaft area?
The water pump, has a weep hole if the shaft seal starts to leak, or the ring is cracked and is leaking through there.

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
Can you post a picture?

There is no coolant by the crank shaft , oil yes , coolant no.

Are you sure that your water pump isn’t leaking and running down the block to the crank shaft area?
The water pump, has a weep hole if the shaft seal starts to leak, or the ring is cracked and is leaking through there.
It must be the water pump. Would all the water leak out while it sits aa well?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
First off I forgot to welcome you to the TDI club.
WElCOME !
There is a wealth of knowledge here and many people that will help you to better understand your car.

There is a section on how to do things on your car with great explanations and pictures.

If you not mechanically inclined....that’s ok too as people will guide you on where to find a trusted TDI mechanic.
The dealership isn’t the best answer.......

No........ with that being said do you know when it was last looked at and where the level was?
There are multiple places that the coolant can leak out as it sits. For all the coolant to leak out as it sits , I would think it’s pretty easy to trace it to the point of failure, there would be a nice puddle under the car......I would think unless it’s being burned.......we won’t go there yet......

You can lose coolant from a frayed hose, leaking radiator, heater core, water pump, under the vacuum pump at the flange that goes to the head, CTS ( coolant temp sensor ), leaking EGR cooler, head gasket............

Do you know when the Timing belt , water pump and rollers were changed last, and by whom?
Also do you know where the replacement parts were purchased?

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
First off I forgot to welcome you to the TDI club.
WElCOME !
There is a wealth of knowledge here and many people that will help you to better understand your car.

There is a section on how to do things on your car with great explanations and pictures.

If you not mechanically inclined....that’s ok too as people will guide you on where to find a trusted TDI mechanic.
The dealership isn’t the best answer.......

No........ with that being said do you know when it was last looked at and where the level was?
There are multiple places that the coolant can leak out as it sits. For all the coolant to leak out as it sits , I would think it’s pretty easy to trace it to the point of failure, there would be a nice puddle under the car......I would think unless it’s being burned.......we won’t go there yet......

You can lose coolant from a frayed hose, leaking radiator, heater core, water pump, under the vacuum pump at the flange that goes to the head, CTS ( coolant temp sensor ), leaking EGR cooler, head gasket............

Do you know when the Timing belt , water pump and rollers were changed last, and by whom?
Also do you know where the replacement parts were purchased?
I dont know much about the car,i bought it with 65k on it.I did delete the egr may that have anything to do with it?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No it won’t.
Just to clarify....you deleted the EGR , but not the cooler....correct?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also can you give some info on car.......IE...year model, auto or manual Current miles.
Also as I stated above, any info on the TB?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you know if the TB was changed before you got it ?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s the timing belt.
its usually due in either a milage interval or a time interval.....basically whichever comes first.
When the auto first came out I believe the interval was 60,000 miles or I think 5-7 years, manuals where due at 80,000 miles.
Since then the intervals on the Timing belts has been increased to 100,000 miles on the 100k TB kits.
You do not want to overlook this as these engines are an interference fit engines, that means that the pistons and valves cannot occupy the same space at the same time......
This usually results in the valves and pistons crashing into each other...... the bottom ends on these are pretty robust but the head is where the damage occurs, it usually bends a valve or two requiring replacement of those valves.
If not done then they will snap off destroying your engine in about 10-12 k later.
This is not to scare you but to inform you.

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
It’s the timing belt.
its usually due in either a milage interval or a time interval.....basically whichever comes first.
When the auto first came out I believe the interval was 60,000 miles or I think 5-7 years, manuals where due at 80,000 miles.
Since then the intervals on the Timing belts has been increased to 100,000 miles on the 100k TB kits.
You do not want to overlook this as these engines are an interference fit engines, that means that the pistons and valves cannot occupy the same space at the same time......
This usually results in the valves and pistons crashing into each other...... the bottom ends on these are pretty robust but the head is where the damage occurs, it usually bends a valve or two requiring replacement of those valves.
If not done then they will snap off destroying your engine in about 10-12 k later.
This is not to scare you but to inform you.
So i should replace the timing belt as well?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If that is the case then you NEED to do the TB ASAP...... this includes belt, water pump, torque to yield bolts,rollers , tensioner and accessory drive belt.

Do not trust the internet‘s lowest or cheapest TB kits as they are not good.
There are vendors on this site that support this club and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of them.
Ive bought almost from all of them.

theres

IDparts.com
Metalman.com
cascade.com
dieselgeek.com
kerma.com
And there area few more I’m sure others may chime in.

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
If that is the case then you NEED to do the TB ASAP...... this includes belt, water pump, torque to yield bolts,rollers , tensioner and accessory drive belt.

Do not trust the internet‘s lowest or cheapest TB kits as they are not good.
There are vendors on this site that support this club and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of them.
Ive bought almost from all of them.

theres

IDparts.com
Metalman.com
cascade.com
dieselgeek.com
kerma.com
And there area few more I’m sure others may chime in.
Thank you very much!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you cannot do it then post your location and there are gurus that can help you.
you do need some specialized tools a a computer with a special dongle to finish adjust you Injection Pump, it also helps in diagnostics of your car......it’s not cheap but necessary.
Doing this for the first time is best done by someone else and see if they allow you to,watch....

Rbnhoodjr57

TDI
2002 1.9 beetle
If you cannot do it then post your location and there are gurus that can help you.
you do need some specialized tools a a computer with a special dongle to finish adjust you Injection Pump, it also helps in diagnostics of your car......it’s not cheap but necessary.
Doing this for the first time is best done by someone else and see if they allow you to,watch....
I can't do it but i live close to Gt.Falls Mt.
..Thank You!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a list of gurus by state.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI