Water leak at rear hatch.

misteroboto

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW 13 Beetle TDI
Hi everyone,

I opened the rear door on a 2005 wagon and about a 1/2 cup of water drained out of the plastic trim piece at the top. The gasket looks like it is seated correctly.

I do have a satellite antenna, but it runs down the side that is not leaking.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

TIA

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Hi everyone,

I opened the rear door on a 2005 wagon and about a 1/2 cup of water drained out of the plastic trim piece at the top. The gasket looks like it is seated correctly.

I do have a satellite antenna, but it runs down the side that is not leaking.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

TIA
Water or washer fluid? Does your washer fluid sprayer rotate when you wash the wear window or spray directly up?

My washer nozzle broke and filled up the inside of the liftgate with about 1/2 cup of washer fluid.

Steve

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
Mine leaks too and I have been unable to find out where. I took the rear panel off the interior and sat inside while my son sprayed down the car- could not see anything. I silicone-caulked the entire rim of the glass- still leaks. My driveway slopes a bit, and I get most water insidewhen the car is parked so rain runs back off the roof to the hatch. ***?

misteroboto

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW 13 Beetle TDI
Mine leaks too and I have been unable to find out where. I took the rear panel off the interior and sat inside while my son sprayed down the car- could not see anything. I silicone-caulked the entire rim of the glass- still leaks. My driveway slopes a bit, and I get most water insidewhen the car is parked so rain runs back off the roof to the hatch. ***?

Mine is definitely not leaking from the glass. I believe the problem is with the gasket. I have a busy next few days and no rain in the forecast until Friday night. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to give it the once over.

With the hatch open, I pulled some helicopters from the area where the rubber boots attach to the body. I'm hoping they trapped water there causing the leak.

misteroboto

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW 13 Beetle TDI
Three big thunderstorms and a couple of showers with no more repeat of the leak.
I guess that means it was the debris I cleaned up or I didn't close the hatch all the way. In any case the leak is gone.

Good luck finding your leaks vw4life and pgoes.

Seb1

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS
i'm having the same issue as you do. have you found what might be the cause? the plastic cover of the hatchdoor accumulates water and if the door is openned in certain degree, well all goes into the trunk compartment. i have to keep the doors open in smaller angle to drain the water outside the car.
would it be the sunroof drain clogged? if yes, where is the water from sunroof going : back or sides? i cant not find any dsunroof drain outlet in the rear.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
To diagnose this, turn the fan on 4 (high) and on fresh air (not recirc). get some soapy water and sponge it around the perimeter of the hatch, including the license plate area, lamps and TG lock cyl.

The unsealed area should bubble up pretty quickly.

Used this technique for years to diag water leaks at the dealer.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I noticed this for the first time a few weeks ago. I have a satellite antenna on the roof too. I will try the water trick when the weather gets warm.

TDI
2010 blue JSW
I started having this issue shortly after having the rear hatch door replaced on 2010 JSW. I figured out the two rubber gaskets that shroud the wires and wiper fluid hoses weren't seated properly when reinstalled and don't make a tight seal.