Water In Spare Wheel Well

srut2000

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Hello, I have a 2014 JSW TDI with the pano sunroof. I was driving around today and heard water splashing around in the back. So when I got home I opened the spare wheel well and found it about 1/2 full of water. I already shop-vac the water out and have it drying now. I was looking for some advice on how to fix this issue. Any help is very appreciated!

oxbowfarm

TDI
2014 JSW
When we were looking at purchasing a JSW TDI two years ago a number of cars we looked at had this same issue. My research said it was a clogged drain line from the sunroof. That lead me to learn about all the other sun roof issues with these cars. We ended ended up with a 2014 with no sunroof and have been very happy with the car. Best of luck to you!

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
I really wanted the navigation that was only available on the top trim line but no way did I want the head ache of the pano roof.
So I too have a mid level 2014 JSW. Join the JSW group on face book and learn how to clean the pano drain tubes.
Also how is your head liner from the water?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The water in your spare tire well is NOT from a clogged drain in all probability. The water is more probably a result of a displaced drain tube behind the left or right side trunk liner. If it was from a clogged drain you would have water stains in your headliner and possibly a leak from the overhead.

Pull all of the plastic trim out of your cargo area then pull the inner trunk liner out. The displaced tube will be obvious. Simply replace with a little glue for insurance.

BTW I too have a 2014 JSW and agree that the pano roof offers a lot more agony then it does ecstasy. I never open mine. In fact, I slipped a panel of foil-faced insulation between it and the inner liner. Helps a lot with heat loading for the air conditioning.

IRT cleaning the drain tubes, many use weedwhacker line. I found that you can get replacement inner speedometer cable at any big box auto supply. Works even better. It will slip under the glass panel and with a little fiddling, find the rear corner drain holes.

srut2000

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
The water in your spare tire well is NOT from a clogged drain in all probability. The water is more probably a result of a displaced drain tube behind the left or right side trunk liner. If it was from a clogged drain you would have water stains in your headliner and possibly a leak from the overhead.

Pull all of the plastic trim out of your cargo area then pull the inner trunk liner out. The displaced tube will be obvious. Simply replace with a little glue for insurance.

BTW I too have a 2014 JSW and agree that the pano roof offers a lot more agony then it does ecstasy. I never open mine. In fact, I slipped a panel of foil-faced insulation between it and the inner liner. Helps a lot with heat loading for the air conditioning.

IRT cleaning the drain tubes, many use weedwhacker line. I found that you can get replacement inner speedometer cable at any big box auto supply. Works even better. It will slip under the glass panel and with a little fiddling, find the rear corner drain holes.
Thank You so much this advice. Will have to replace the displaced drain hose or just move it back into place and glue it? I agree with everyone I wish I knew about all the sunroof issues before I bought the car, but other then that I love it. I think I will go ahead and clean the drain lines too.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
The hose can be moved back into place. It is a fairly rigid material.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
when i went digging into my rear drain tubes here is what i found: right side drain tube not connected @ the lower grommet. both grommets completely full of sludge. both tubes kinked where they passed through the D pillar.

i chose to completely remove both tubes, clean them and by heating them in boiling water, i was able to stretch them out enough to undo the kinks. i also removed both grommets, cleaned them and snipped the ends that exit into the wheel wells. the tubes were fully accessible with only the rear portion of the headliner dropped and you should be able to deal with the lower grommets without removing the wheel arch liners. good luck!

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
As much of a nice feature it is, I've seen way too many sunroofs leaks on those. Very happy I bought one without. Would never buy a pano roof. Not even just on wagons but other vehicles too. Just a bad design.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
I really wanted the navigation that was only available on the top trim line but no way did I want the head ache of the pano roof.
Not intending to hijack the thread, but retrofitting to an OE nav headunit & roof aerial is not too difficult (as long as you can source the head unit, GPS cable, and aerial at a reasonable cost).

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You might want to add that link to your signature, its good advice.

I live in the hot dry central valley and haven't experianced an issue yet. Not saying the tube is not shrunk or dislodged yet, but the car is usually out of the rain. It is that time of the year so we'll now see this issue pop up again on the threads. But I love mine and when the roof is "right" its great. Too bad it wasnt a stand alone option/delete..

First thing I did several years ago was add 20% ceramic tint to the windows and pano. The grandkids love it. I still want to go thru the tube replacement but need to find a local install source here... Any experianced Turlock area JSW owners out there looking to make some cash?

ianmhill

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hello, I have a 2014 JSW TDI with the pano sunroof. I was driving around today and heard water splashing around in the back. So when I got home I opened the spare wheel well and found it about 1/2 full of water. I already shop-vac the water out and have it drying now. I was looking for some advice on how to fix this issue. Any help is very appreciated!
I had the exact same problem after I bought mine, heres what I did to fix it:
First, remove the rear wheels and fender liners. In the back of the wheel well are the little rubber nipple drains for the roof drains. Cut the little tip off (from the factory it has a tiny slit, and its just not enough) and stick a screw driver up in it to clear out the line. When I did this a ton of sludge came out. This will let the line drain from the bottom preventing water from sitting.
The other problem is a factory defect, VW glued the drain fittings together, and in hot climate like Texas they just melt and fall apart.
The way I fixed this was by removing the trim around the trunk at the back of the headliner, the pillars in the back, then carefully pulling down the back of the headliner. Disconnect the rear dome light, then pull the headliner down a little more. At this point you will be able to see the back of the pano moonroof assembly. On either side you will see the drain lines, one side is yellow and the other is green. The connectors at the top of the lines are a white color will either be loosely attached or not at all. Because you said it was just in the spare tire well, they are still attached. When they are attached but leaky, they will drain just fine until the lines get clogged at the bottom. Once they are clogged at the bottom the lines fill up and overflow at the top, running behind the pillars and ending up in the wheel well.
The first time I was in there I glued the lines back on to the drains, and this lasted one summer season. The next year I cut the hoses off, went to Lowes and bought sharkbite connectors, hose clamps and acrylic tubing and rig up a better-than-OEM system. I have had 0 leaks since then.

Link to Photos

Let me know if this helps! I notice you're in Beaumont, if you want help let me know.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I also had the drain lines ‘come apart’, filling the spare tire well. However, another way water got in after that fix was from the rusty rear hatch! The hatch was Yates right through around the upper brake light. Water would come in there and plinko it’s way down into the rear of the car.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Also water can go in thru the Shark fin antenna. The gasket can go bad from sitting as buyback car plus age and such. mine had that issue. I am currently looking for a new one but for now an temporary fix which I used, RTV silicone - Permatex 81158 it to seal it to stop the leak.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Also water can go in thru the Shark fin antenna. The gasket can go bad from sitting as buyback car plus age and such. mine had that issue. I am currently looking for a new one but for now an temporary fix which I used, RTV silicone - Permatex 81158 it to seal it to stop the leak.
Again, that would have a headliner water stain

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
my JSW is solid roof. I am leaning to the grommet of the hatch that's not fully sealed hence leaking. I ordered new gasket for antenna fin so I am hitting 2 birds with one stone method as both are going. $10 for the grommet. VW wants $600 for the grommet replacement job. just right out of the CPO warranty... ugh lol