Water Emulsion

jorpet

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta - 2015 Golf SW
I think if you do a search on white diesel on the forum you will find some information. It has been covered a few times over the years.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
jorpet, are you suggesting that this emulsion is called white diesel?
My search of the board found that phrase only appeared a few times, all of them referring to a white-colored vehicle.

A brief Google search turned up mostly hits on white smoke, and white papers about diesel. When I punched in "water emulsion white diesel" I got this relevant site, but again the white refers to white smoke.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
I don't know but I seem to remember a recent thread titled "Aquafuel" or something that dicussed micelles, hydrophilic, hyrophobic, water cages, etc, stuff right up this alley. No, its nothing new.

Tapokata

Gone, but not forgotten
Lubizol corporation has developed a water-in-diesel emulsion formula they have trademarked as "Purinox"- they claim 50% reduction in PM, and a 30% reduction in NOx emissions. Here's the link to the product information on their website. They're currently testing it "worldwide", but I've read that municipal bus fleets in the LA area are running a large scale test. I haven't read or heard of auto testing of the product in North America.

Lubrizol Purinox info

BP/Arco (who are pushing ULSD fuel blends) state on their web pages that water emulsion diesel fuel blends reduce power by up to 20%.

EC-Diesel alternative fuel page

Not a surprise, especially if the water blend is up to 20%. In theory, the loss of power is only noticeable at WOT......

(edited for typos)

[ October 05, 2002, 20:23: Message edited by: Tapokata ]