watch out for bikes please

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
I had a member from here cut me off on my bike on thursday on the 401. It was a pretty aggressive and stupid thing to do in front of a motorcycle. Please watch out for us bikes please. If this may have been you I was riding the black cruiser bike wearing a black leather vest with big Southern Cruisers logo on the back. I will be speaking to this member at a GTG in the future.

Play nice and watch out for the bikes out there.

Thanks
Rob

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Not to defend the aggressive move but I thought I'd mention also that I've seen 2 bikes already this year with no front headlight on. So either they were burnt out or not functioning properly. This makes some bikes almost invisible.

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
yes i agree my bike is very visable and there is enough lighting on the 401 to see any bike. this guy was a jerk

i donbt support the jerks who do wheelies on the streets either.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Damnit. That was stupid, rude, and dangerous.

If a person drives correctly no-one else on the road remembers him even being there.

Drive polite, it's safe. Get a clue people!!

Bill

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Sorry to say the problem is everywhere (drivers cutting off bikes). I am in Ohio and I also drive a bike and yea, I have been cut off often, although I have yet to see it from a member.

Bikes have the same road rights as cars and they are (to the best of my knowledge) legally entitled to the full lane and don't need to share it with a car.

I also have a bicycle and in Ohio, other than children all bicycle riders must ride in the street, not on the sidewalk. It seems some ignorant drivers feel they need to enforce some law that does not exist and force all bikes off the road.

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
Ookpic said:
seen 2 bikes already this year with no front headlight on. So either they were burnt out or not functioning properly.

Not all bikes have daylight running lights.My 71 BMW case in point.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
x 2 - My shorter half and I were on our way for dinner on Sat. night, 8 pm ish. It was about a 3 km ride, through quiet city streets. We had a car and a bike pull out in front of us forcing me to slam on the brakes twice. Thankfully, there was no one behind.

For every boke who weaves and does stupid stuff, there are 100 cars who do the same thing.

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
I hate to say it but half the bikers out there drive erratically. More often than not when I see a bike on the highway he's weaving in and out while leaving no more than a couple feet between himself and the cars (and by a couple, I literally mean 2). If he's not doing that, then hes riding your ass waiting for an opportunity to pass at 150km/h then slam on the brakes 100 meters later.

I'm not saying every biker does that, and I'm courteous enough to give bikes their room, but these idiots need to be taken off the road.

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I think there should be a higher mandated age for getting your motorcycle license. There's something to be said about maturity on a bike and I hate to say it but, most kids that prefer to get their M1 rather than their G1 lack the necessary maturity. This effects the community at large and it's really unfortunate.

On my way to MTL this week I saw a GSXR with a passanger helmet held down by harnesses split lanes on the 401 with two cars driving side by side... he was on the markings... I held my breath... and then called yatzee to describe what I just saw. Incredible riding by immature twits who consider themselves invincible on a bike.

That said, yatzee's post from above still baffles me... particularly the cruiser with all but a helmet as gear riding through the intersection with a passanger, because he decides his stop sign is optional...

pcguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 2005 Passat 2000 Gulf
My Daughter has been driving since Wednesday last week. I let her drive my Suburban last night through town to see her friends (i was with her I'm not that brave yet) and a group of bikes passed her. One of them though it would be a good Idea to go between a 6600# suburban and a row of parked cars.
Well I now need a new Mirror on the passenger side and so do 2 parked cars but he never stopped he just kept riding with the group.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
If your buying a bike with 650+ cc's of displacement in something that weighs ~450lbs, by design its only purpose was to go FAST. I cant sit here and say that i wouldnt crack the throttle anychance i got, its part of the thrill.

Part of the reason why i probably would never own a bike is because i dont think i would have the discipline to control myself with that much potential for speed. I'd be a statistic FOR SURE by the end of a season...

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
VDubbing said:
I had a member from here cut me off on my bike on thursday on the 401. It was a pretty aggressive and stupid thing to do in front of a motorcycle. Please watch out for us bikes please. If this may have been you I was riding the black cruiser bike wearing a black leather vest with big Southern Cruisers logo on the back. I will be speaking to this member at a GTG in the future.

Play nice and watch out for the bikes out there.

Thanks
Rob
As a member of this august club, it is probably particularly distressing to have these types of actions happen from a fellow member. I would agree as TDI'ers, we should be aware of the our surroundings and our place in it, as we do share the road with others.

However, In CA state (I realize we are talking across rules and regulations governing country's, provinces, states, counties, cities, etc.)

I have almost totally lost track as to how many "bike drivers" split lanes with me and by logical extension, the hundreds and possibly thousands of other cars a " bike driver lane splitter" splits with.

Since it is NOT against the law for either type of vehicle to split lanes, it is particularly oxymoronic how indignate most bike drivers who lane split get, when a car lane splits lanes with.... them.

Long story short: bike drivers who split lanes put me at unnecessary finanical risk. It is also more than obvious they are also putting themselves at grave risk.

There are a number of issues shaping the discussion. The first is no big deal. Normally in a lane splitting accident, the "splitter" is normally at fault. That almost always is the one doing the splitting. At fault parties are responsible for both the violations and financial consequences of those behaviors. So if a bike driver wants to "play", they should be ready to "pay", so to speak. The realities are FAR different. Normally the ones with so called "deep pockets" are stuck with the greater bills. Most cyclists do not carry anything NEAR the financial responsibility necessary to cover their "fault". So naturally their legal representation goes after "deep pockets".

Last edited:

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Whether on a bike or in a car, every driver is responsible making sure they are themselves visible on the road and aware of those around them. I witnessed more than a few idiot riders/drivers this past weekend. Sadly, it is not uncommon.

I will be speaking to this member at a GTG in the future.
Well done to anticipate and avoid a collision, but do keep in mind that they may not have even seen you. There are very few perfect drivers on the road.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
VDubbing said:
I will be speaking to this member at a GTG in the future.
Wasn't me! :D

Sorry to hear about that Rob. Most members here aren't idiots on the road, so it could have been an accident. And for those few hotheaded idiots - give 'em hell ;)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
VDubbing said:
lane splitting in california may be legal it isnt here.

The driver saw me that Im sure of.
Well, at least I know of one biker who doesn't split lanes ! ;) I drive in Vancouver, BC, some, and see it all the time.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
OmegaRenegade said:
If your buying a bike with 650+ cc's of displacement in something that weighs ~450lbs, by design its only purpose was to go FAST.
I think horsepower has more to do with it than CC's. The bike I'm looking at is a 650 but it only has 71 hp. A 600CC (50CC's lower) supersport can be well over 100... those bikes are designed to go fast. A 1000 supersport... I don't even see the point anymore unless you're on a track.

rodejetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta2001
SilveR316 said:
I hate to say it but half the bikers out there drive erratically. More often than not when I see a bike on the highway he's weaving in and out while leaving no more than a couple feet between himself and the cars (and by a couple, I literally mean 2). If he's not doing that, then hes riding your ass waiting for an opportunity to pass at 150km/h then slam on the brakes 100 meters later.

I'm not saying every biker does that, and I'm courteous enough to give bikes their room, but these idiots need to be taken off the road.
I agree fully. Having driven a bike in the past, I am extremely careful with bikers, knowing how vulnerable they are, but some of them do not appear to know that they are that. Most bikers are very good drivers, but there is a small group of complete idiots. They appear also to think that more noise makes them look more macho, while it is in fact completely the other way around, they look incredibly stupid and risk unexpected reactions from car drivers that pay no attention but to their distractions and are suddenly woken up.
Also, if I am careful with bikers, I would appreciate that they do not ruin my hearing as they have already done theirs!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
rodejetta said:
I agree fully. Having driven a bike in the past, I am extremely careful with bikers, knowing how vulnerable they are, but some of them do not appear to know that they are that. Most bikers are very good drivers, but there is a small group of complete idiots. They appear also to think that more noise makes them look more macho, while it is in fact completely the other way around, they look incredibly stupid and risk unexpected reactions from car drivers that pay no attention but to their distractions and are suddenly woken up.
Also, if I am careful with bikers, I would appreciate that they do not ruin my hearing as they have already done theirs!
I have to agree with that.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
rodejetta said:
The excuse given for the noise is usually that the rider feels they are more noticeable to car drivers if they are more easily heard. They feel that if the driver doesn't see them, at least they'll hear them. I don't know how well that actually works though... it might just be the excuse they use because they like their loud bikes...

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
rodejetta said:

As I have driven a bike in the past as well, I think it is more to do with the fact you learn to anticipate and avoid potential problems on a motorcycle. Yes there are a few yahoos, one blew by me at well over 200km hr probably 240 or so, and nearly rear end a car several hundred feet ahead when the car went to pass another vehicle, it doesn't't matter how good a driver you are at that speed.

I can say in Nova Scotia I have seen over the last couple years a steady decrease in driver skills, daily I see at least 4 people run red lights during my commute to work and home ! seems police never are never around in town, just on the highway or speed traps, sure wish they would put an effort into the more dangerous offenses in town.....

I'm certainly not a perfect driver, it takes work maintaining focus and will power to resist the urge to react to other aggressive drivers......

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
unL33T said:
I think horsepower has more to do with it than CC's. The bike I'm looking at is a 650 but it only has 71 hp. A 600CC (50CC's lower) supersport can be well over 100... those bikes are designed to go fast. A 1000 supersport... I don't even see the point anymore unless you're on a track.
Why chip your TDI ? 90HP is adequate for daily driving. A motorcycle with over 100+ HP is a lot of fun to drive, even if you don't cruise down the 401 at 220+. While I always enjoyed rocketing down the road at high velocity, the best part was always the 0-100kmh in 3-4 seconds. On country roads, being able to pull out and pass somebody lightning quick makes the whole exercise that much safer. Sure it's overkill, but it's still nice to have it there if you want it.

Like Omega says though, the temptation to misuse it is something awful. ;)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bikes are about power to weight, 71hp is fast in a 400lb package.

My buddie's '01 SV650S would easily see 250km/h+ without much effort. It wasn't a super sport by any means, lol

jimmyto

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 1.9 Diesel
I was driving 120KM/H on the 401 east in Oshawa when a guy on a bike passed me by at 140-160 KM/H doing a wheely.

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
jimmyto said:
I was driving 120KM/H on the 401 east in Oshawa when a guy on a bike passed me by at 140-160 KM/H doing a wheely.
LOL. I've seen someone blow past be doing a wheely, but it was in St Catherines, not around the Shwa.

I hope that guy had his organ donor card signed. Come to think of it, there might not be any organs left if he takes a spill.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
LNXGUY said:
Bikes are about power to weight, 71hp is fast in a 400lb package.

My buddie's '01 SV650S would easily see 250km/h+ without much effort. It wasn't a super sport by any means, lol
you had to go and mention an SV650 didn't you?! :mad: