"Wastegate Actuator"?

energyflux00

TDI
Manual 5-Spd 2000 mk4 1.9L Jetta 187,000mi ALH
Moderators, apologies I originally posted this in TDI 101, but think it is more appropriate here?? I don't know.

I brought my 2000 ALH into a local shop who specialize in VW/Audi and do a lot of work on TDIs. I lost my boost, and have followed CanadianGrizzly's troubleshooting with no luck. In the past it has served me well.

After following his troubleshooting guide (shoutout to CanadianGrizzy), I suspected that there was something wrong with the "Wastegate Actuator". This is what most posts I've read on the topic refers to as the arm, which pulls the vanes open or closed via vaccum. I realize I do not have a wastegate on my ALH.

The mechanic who looked at it told me the "arm" that goes into the turbo is broken, and that he cannot source just the part. He says you can only source them along with a whole new turbo these days as the part itself has been discontinued.

Before I make any decisions, I found this on IDParts. And it sure as hell looks exactly like the part I've read referred to as a "wastegate actuator". https://www.idparts.com/vane-actuator-vnt-15vnt-alh-038198716-df434855-0015-p-530.html

Is this the same thing on my ALH? If so, is this mechanic lying to me about it not being manufactured anymore? Or am I looking at something different on IDParts?

Thank you in advance.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
See you other thread