"Wastegate Actuator"?

energyflux00

TDI
Manual 5-Spd 2000 mk4 1.9L Jetta 187,000mi ALH
So you never got underneath and looked at it? You'll never know, hopefully your mechanic is trustworthy.
The turbo actuator is part of the turbo. many mechanics, especially dealers, will replace the whole turbo if the actuator is shot. $$$$$$
The actuator can be replaced separately at a fraction of the cost.
I unfortunately am in a situation where I'm unable to get a ride an hour away to this guy from someone, and during work hours, to get a look at it myself, but I do not recall any rot on the turbo actuator itself the last I looked at it a couple of months ago. And found in my notes that the actuator arm moved when put under pressure under a Mityvac (and held pressure as long as the nozzle from the Mityvac was seated properly). So based off my records, it sounds like it wouldn't be the turbo actuator piece.

The owner stated it was the VNT lever in the turbo itself, or something within the turbo that was stuck that they didn't diagnose because they did not remove the turbo and regardless stated to repair it is beyond what they do at the shop... further makes it sound like it is not actuator part that pulls on the VNT arm to move the vanes. They have a strong reputation of being a very honest shop that specializes in Audi/VW. The conversation I had with the mechanic was unclear and off putting. The conversation with the owner cleared it up for me.

All in all, the "list price" is $2700 for a new turbo and a dealership would likely charge much more than that. And they are going to charge me $1600 for it... so while I don't really wanna pay for a new one, it sounds like they're cutting margin for me between labor and materials for the install.

I would have loved to be able to take a 2nd look myself after this thread, or take it to someone who actually repairs and cleans turbos, but the logistics to do so weren't in the cards for at least a few weeks and I need it to travel out of state before that.

Thanks everyone.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Idparts has the turbo on sale for $749.00 bucks.
The price they quoted….does it include labor?
And what kind of turbo?
I would ask for the old turbo back , if the ring is frozen you can clean it yourself and have a spare…..I usually have a couple of spares around for my fleet.