Waste gate actuator?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The Variable vane actuator, when out of adjustment can make the car over- or under-boost - generally throws a CEL for that.
Long term use of the mis-adjusted turbo can cause damage.
Symptoms are Limp Mode.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Actuators on the KP39 turbo (all turbos, really) can fail with age. They either bind up with rust or the diaphragm leaks. As stated above, overboost, underboost, limp modes are all symptoms. The wire connectors to the actuator can also break with age, causing the same symptoms.

Unfortunately the original actuator for that turbo has never been available on its own. You have to replace the turbo. Some have made other actuators work, but with mixed results.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I installed a Garett smart actuator to my KP39 turbo along with a VNT delete from Malone. CoolAirVW has ready made kits for this conversion.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What is a VNT delete? Do you mean the feedback loop? If so, why did you need a smart actuator?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a software change that eliminates the CEO that would otherwise occur with the new Garett actuator.i The original actuator rusted out and would not hold a vacuum. I forget the DTC, but my Golf was going into limp mode. I bought the Garett actuator from you, IBW. Took all afternoon to do the conversion per some DIY I had found on here.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
P2565 and a P0299 IIRC. That was almost four years ago.

JessicaJetta

TDI
2004 VW Jetta 1.9TDI
dose anyone have a link to a good turbo or a used one that i can get by with i’m not thinking that removing and reinstalling the Actuator is a good idea