Waste Gate Actuator adjustment specs

c46driver

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L Sedan ALH emgine
Hello to all you Gurus:

I recently replaced a waste gate actuator. But I did not know how to set the rod length properly. Some previous feedback from several members revealed that I need to set it according to specific vaccuum readings. But I seem to have lost the thread. Would someone please refresh my memory regarding the specs and the equipment needed? Thank You!

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Not that the terminology matters much, but just to clarify, your car does not have a wastegate, but rather a set of "vanes" that are adjusted with the actuator in question. These vanes essentially direct more or less exhaust gasses at the turbine allowing the compressor to make more or less boost.

The actuator should begin to move around 4"Hg and hit the stop on the turbo around 18-20"Hg. I've found that the "hitting-the-stop" number is the more important one to get right.

Good luck!

Here's lots more information including how those vanes i was talking about work: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/v...ustment-repair-replacement-on-tdi-engine-mk4/

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I thought it was 3. But yeah, what he said.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The actuator should begin to move around 4"Hg and hit the stop on the turbo around 18-20"Hg. I've found that the "hitting-the-stop" number is the more important one to get right.
Yup. I just installed a new Garrett VNT actuator on the turbo on my Beetle and I used the instructions that came in the box. If I remember it correctly, you use a 0.002" feeler gauge between the VNT lever and the stop-screw on the turbo housing. At 17" vacuum, the feeler gauge should be completely free to move. At 17.5" vacuum, you should start to feel some drag on the feeler gauge, and at 18" vacuum, the feeler gauge should be pinched tight. (Going by memory here, but the instructions were something like that).

If you get that 18" max mark set properly, the 3-5" vacuum start point will fall right into place automatically. I think mine was starting at 4" vacuum.

Locked everything in place, Gooped the adjuster nuts, and everything tested perfectly via VCDS.

Good for another 16 years...lol.

Last edited:

c46driver

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L Sedan ALH emgine
Wonderful! Thanks for all the helpful feedback! Unfortunately, my actuator came without instructions.

PS: Yes, "waste gate" was the wrong term. Sorry for my sloppy verbiage :)