Washer Nozzels

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Some owners have observed the washers squirt too low on the windshield. They can be adjusted slightly, but it is a somewhat finickey adjustment. Also, remember to close the hood completely when checking the squirt zone.

The washers have what appears to be a good idea with an eccentric adjuster, but turning it with a screwdriver may either help the problem or cause the thing to come apart (it goes back in easily). When it did, I wiggled the nozzle assembly and it came off the hood. From there I was able to measure the base and made a U shaped shim from heavy plastic sheet to fit under the eccentric adjuster. I will post this on the TDI site.

Cut a piece of 0.8 mm plastic sheet 30mm x 25mm. Cut out a slot 17mm x 17mm. You should now have a piece that looks like a wide U. Slip this under the eccentric adjuster - it will almost snap into place. This will raise the washer aiming point further up the windshield.

Note that if you are not getting enough pressure from the washer pump the lines or the pump may be fouled. I had one side putting out way more fluid than the other and it turned out the hose was kinked inside the hood. As mentioned above the washer assemblies come out fairly easily. Just behind the washer is a little oval "inspection" hole, complete with plastic cover. The hose from the pump up into the hood is unbelievebly cloth covered (like the wiring looms, preventing rattles!).

And a "Northern Climate" hint: Be very careful with plastic parts at low temperatures. Some materials that are flexible when warm will snap like glass when cold.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Hey! you know AMSoil makes a great windsheild wiper fluid! One squirt will keep your winshield spotless for a month and it costs half the price of any other wiper fluid, it gives you 10 more horsepower and will increase your average mpg to 65 because it reduces wind resistance. Just email me at amsoil-pusher@amsoil.com for more info!

LMAO!

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
OK- forget that nonsense, I am being serious now. I haven't had the washer nozzle problem BUT I have noticed my wipers dont seem to work very well any more (my car is about 5 mos old now) They "streak" across the window now making it harder to see even with the smallest amount of water. My father suggested that perhaps pushing ice has moved them out of alignment--but I first experienced this in the early autumn before any ice or snow had fallen. Anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

------------------
Ryan

1999 A4 Jetta GL TDI- 5 sp
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey, my wipers and squirters suck, too!!

Whatever VW shipped int he washer tank is pretty bad. The smell reminds me of modeling glue and it streaks like hell. I emptied the tank and filled it with "Peak". No more streaks!

Recently, the right nozzel is hitting the windshield low. I dont know if it's an aiming isue or a velocity issue. No matter, my side is real clean, the other side aint that bad and with 2K miles until the 20K service, it's a SP (service problem).

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing

mikeg

TDI
OILMAN300
Plain water would have been better than what VW put in the washer fluid bottle. I use Prestone Winter Windshield Cleaner. It dosen't freeze when it's on the windshield after cleaning it like the blue stuff does.

It costs twice as much but I'd rather pay it than not being able to see out the windshield before the car is warmed up.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
SWITCA! That's exactly what I noticed! That modeling glue smell and the windsheild streaking! What gives? I have since changed the fluid, but the streaking continues.I was thinking about asking VW to replace the wiper blades under warranty, but since wipers blades are cheap, and VW will probably give me the same kind...

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
At my 5K service, they replaced all the wipers. I didn't ask them to, I think they just wanted something to do (and bill VW for).

It bugs me that you can't get just the fluid to go, without the wipers turning - they scrape a couple of passes before the fluid gets there.

This week it seems my rear wiper nozzle is weak or perhaps plugged.

Anybodies Golf have a rear wiper nozzle glitch?

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI

LMIST1

Veteran Member
I've noticed the same with with windsheild wipers. The wiper fluid that is used in the vw has rainx in it. so for the people that have used rainx on their windsheild, that if not cleaned right will leave a haze. and in night driving you will notice it more. try switching brand washer fluid and see if it makes a difference.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
ertzog, yeah, I have the weenie rear washer, too. The wiper works fine, but the washer is pretty non-existent. I'm going to peruse the Bentley and see what the deal is back there. Did you ever get your's resolved, or is it still weak?...

M

mickey

I've yet to see a rear window squirter on ANY car that's worth a damn. I don't know why it's so tought to do.

-mickey

p.s. Correction: The rear window washer on my recently retired '92 Jeep Cherokee company vehicle worked like gangbusters to the bitter end. It was the ONLY thing that worked properly.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
There's a TSB in the UK to use a special VW screenwash fluid in "fan pattern nozzels" I guess some of the cheap aftermaket stuff blocks 'em up.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Brodie, I've got the modeling cement-smelling stuff that VW put in there from the factory right now; do you think that would gum things up, or is the TSB referring to other fluids and nozzles? My (dim)recollection of what the spray pattern looked like (because it did work at one time..) was that it was a straight stream right into the middle of the swept area, with minimal dispersion. I'm sure there's a nice long run out to the back from the main reservoir up front, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Norman,
I saw that TSB pinned up at a VW dealer parts place a few months ago.

Mine are just the "fire hose" pattern as well. I don't know what that new stuff is and I haven't even seen the fan type jets, but clearly the old stuff must have been blocking these new jets. Anyone else got them?

According to my handbook I should have heated screenwashers but I don't. It's all academic anyway 'cause it's always raining here
Do I sound depressed?

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
an update. at my 10K service they looked at it and my nozzle was plugged. they had to take apart the hatch to replace it (warranty).

Now I give it a spurt every month or so to keep the grit from building up. I had been "conserving" by using rain showers to clean the back window.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
ertzog, shoot, I was afraid of that (the taking the hatch apart part..); if it ends up being plugged up, I think the nozzle can be replaced by taking the wiper arm and a couple other pieces off, but I don't know that I trust the service folks to go taking hatches apart and not introduce new rattles and sounds to an otherwise rattle-free cabin..

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
I think the nozzle is integrated into the supply hose that snakes around the hatch.

But I doubt the VW monkeys tried a thin wire down the nozzle before tearing it apart - they did not check with me before doing it.\

No rattles came from it, however.

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI