Was our heater core changed or not?

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Passat was at the dealership for 2nd no heat trouble in 8 months. 1st time, in Feb, the core was changed and heat was good again. In October, we had no heat again. They diagnosed as 2nd heater core and ordered parts. 2 weeks later parts were in and my wife dropped it off.

When she picked it up she had heat. The next morning, nothing.

I looked at the paperwork and it says they flushed it 2x and changed the heater core. When I checked it out the expansion tank was overfilled by about 3" and there was a lot of air in the lines. She commented, and I confirmed, that confirmed gurgling under the dash.

I burped it and heat was luke warm now.

Today I had a chance to get into the core again. I wanted to confirm the blend door was working, it is. I still have the core I had bought last time when I was going to do the work and was comparing it to the one currently in the car.

Is the date code on the one I had sitting for months newer than the one in the car? I don't know how to decipher VW date codes.

In Car: 34020-1
On my bench: 08520-2

Also, Is there any other way to tell if the one in the car is plugged or just full of air?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
If you have heat on drivers side and no heat on passenger side, you have a plugged core.
If you have no heat at all, on either side, then you probably have air lock in the system and need to purge that air, then do a test on passenger vs. driver side heat output.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
The TSB is out there and fairly easy to find.
I've posted it a few times already.
Take it back to the dealer as it's still under "warranty" and they haven't fixed it yet.
Let them figure it out.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Any updates for us @Penst8grad ?
Made an appointment with a non-dealership VW garage. We picked it up from the dealership and it still blows warm air at best. Totally unacceptable and motivation to find a better option for service. Thanks for the bump and I'll share when it gets resolved.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Still no solution and now no car either. We dropped it off last Thursday night for a Friday appt and have not heard a peep since. My wife called and emailed. No response from the garage.

I'm sure you all know the saying, "If Mama's not happy..."

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My son stopped at the garage today since he lives close. Car isn't fixed, can't figure out what is wrong, so "it must be the heater core". My wife is going to pick it up tomorrow, pay for the diagnostic and we will find somewhere else. While there my son called and said they garage going to call with news. Everything I know is what they told him. 2hr later and still no call.

So, 2 trips to the dealer, 5 days at an independent VW garage, and still no heat. I'll post updates as they come.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
whats the point of having a warrantee if ypur not going to use it ?? Take it to a vw dealership under the strict understanding that you get a free loaner after nmutally agreable time frame

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
whats the point of having a warrantee if ypur not going to use it ?? Take it to a vw dealership under the strict understanding that you get a free loaner after nmutally agreable time frame
Warranty was not through VW. It was a 12mo dealer warranty that they tried to weasel out of by saying it was mileage too but they called it good will. After them saying it was fixed 2x and it was not, it has become clear that they are not somewhere that should be trusted to fix my wife's car. This is basic stuff and they could not get it right after 2 attempts.

Independent VW garage was an effort to find somewhere up to the task that I can drop and trust their work. I trust myself and the family mechanic but he is not a VW person. Brakes, oil changes, etc he is fine for the VW but not this. They also failed.

I was recommended another local shop today. Will check it out tomorrow. I just want to drop it off, pick it up, write a check, and have heat in her car. Not sure why this has to be so complicated.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The conclusion of the story...Wife wanted to take it back to the independent shop and since it is her car that's what happened. They changed the heater core and miraculously there is good heat now. Maybe it was the heater core the whole time? (sarcasm)

Oh, wait...the dealer changed the heater core again back in October when all this started. It's right on the work order. Except they obviously didn't. I have the plugged up heater core that is supposedly only 2 months old. Debating whether to take it, show the dealer, and raise hell or just be done with them.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
^ Glad you had a good outcome, I would be sorely tempted to take the repair bill from the independent shop and the plugged core back to the dishonest VW dealer and raise hell, and get a refund of all your out of pocket expenses. And report to VW corporate if they do not comply.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I doubt he has a leg to stand on since he choose to go to the indy shop instead of back to vw to have the same fix re-fixed, etc...... but worth a try.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Washing my hands of the dealership. They had it 2x the 2nd time and didn't fix anything. It was under $200 at the independent and I am writing it off as the cost of learning that particular dealership sucks.

It still doesn't take care of the core plugging 2x in 8 months. I think the VW's time with us grows short.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Lets hope your indy did a few good flushes when they replaced the core. Not just one but several. I have managed to live with my replacement core for about 4 years and 25,000 miles, knock on wood.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My heater core is clogged for the 3rd time. Jan16 - 41k, oct17-53k (sat from march16-sept17 dieselgate/takata) jan22 110k

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I still plan to replace the glycerine based G-13 with Rotella ELC NF this spring. I'm 100% certain the glycerine cooking in the EGR is the problem. Too cold to do it now.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I still plan to replace the glycerine based G-13 with Rotella ELC NF this spring. I'm 100% certain the glycerine cooking in the EGR is the problem. Too cold to do it now.
Correct the EGR Cooler is upstream from the heater core, there is no bypass and as it ages it gets more and more clogged causing more heat buildup. Eventually cooking the coolant which then flakes off and flows directly into the heater core. I can't believe your dealer wouldn't warranty it.
I've thought about changing coolant type after my warranty is gone, but I plan on deleting all the extra emissions stuff. This coolant is all to similar to Dex Cool in the 90s.

This has been my experience with my TDI so far.
2013 Passat TDI SE - LEMON | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Last edited:

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I can't believe your dealer wouldn't warranty it.
Because this dealer sucks. Claimed to have changed the heater core again and did not. Instead was hoping to flush the problem away. They are either lazy, clueless, or both. Either way they are dishonest and will not see our vehicle again except for warranty work.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Because this dealer sucks. Claimed to have changed the heater core again and did not. Instead was hoping to flush the problem away. They are either lazy, clueless, or both. Either way they are dishonest and will not see our vehicle again except for warranty work.
That's too bad. My dealer has been great. They did change the core once for it to fail again in 80 miles. But after I pinned them down asking if the EGR cooler was the next component upstream with no bypass they have realized I know this isn't as much a cooling system issue but yet another issue resulting from dieselgate.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have some friends who are vw techs, they have a super flush (not sure of the exact details) which involves replacing the egr cooler as well. One car had a heater core that only lasted 5,000 miles when using the normal procedure.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Rotella ELC NF?
I plan to remove all the G13 and replace it. That is the most similar non-glycerine coolant I can find and it is rated for more miles than this car will ever see. Somewhere I had read in literature it also has no issue with diesel EGR temps too.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I plan to remove all the G13 and replace it. That is the most similar non-glycerine coolant I can find and it is rated for more miles than this car will ever see. Somewhere I had read in literature it also has no issue with diesel EGR temps too.
My car has the G12/+ coolant right now and I purchased more of the "Pink" lid coolant to replace it with when I do the TB.

I see so many people have issues with the G13 as opposed to the G12.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My car has the G12/+ coolant right now and I purchased more of the "Pink" lid coolant to replace it with when I do the TB.

I see so many people have issues with the G13 as opposed to the G12.
Well the dealer only has G13 now and its 50/50 which is annoying. I mean I'll go buy a gallon of distilled water and make 2 gallons usually. I feel ripped off when I have to buy 50/50.

I have some friends who are vw techs, they have a super flush (not sure of the exact details) which involves replacing the egr cooler as well. One car had a heater core that only lasted 5,000 miles when using the normal procedure.
The previous owner of mine did one in the spring of last year. Put about 1,500mi on it and sold it to me. Mine clogged up before Christmas this year. About 5 days and 80mi later after having the dealer do and supposedly flush the entire system multiple times. She was clogged again. They've had my car 3 weeks now and changed nearly every cooling system component.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
That's what I just did. My coolant reservoir still had a G12++ label on it, and I replaced with Zerex G40. The old coolant was definitely tired as it was less than pink.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well my daughter texted from college today. No heat from the passenger side again with this POS car! Heater cores seem to be an annual replacement item. This is the 3rd or 4th one. Partially my fault because I got busy and never drained the VW coolant and replaced it.

She's driving it home for Christmas this weekend from a school down south. I believe I will just get her a 12v ceramic heater and be done with this crap.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
How many miles is she driving on her typical daily commute? If she’s at college it can’t be much. These emission intact common rails are not very dependable for in town driving. I’ve put about 45,000mi on mine since 2021 and it’s been by far the most dependable vehicle I’ve owned in 20+yr. Mine is still blowing heat so hot it will cook you.
But most of my commutes in it are 35-45mi ea way which gives it plenty of time to fully warm up and finish regens. From what people are saying on the FB TDI Owners Group, a delete and tune will end all these heater core issues entirely too. If that’s not an option in your area and she’s driving short trips, do yourself a favor and get her a gasser. Same story on our 2.0 Tiguan Gasser, competing for best cars we’ve ever owned, (better than Hondas) wife drives that thing a mile or two at most too, once every 2mo or so she’ll put like 30mi ea way trips in.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
How many miles is she driving on her typical daily commute?
Here it was about 20mi every time it left the garage and 2 or 3 heater cores. There I don't know but it's only been 1 semester. I do know it sits a lot because her friends that are from there drive most of the time. We have a diesel BMW and a diesel Jeep and have none of these problems with them.

I'm gonna get her a 12v heater. I thought about a delete & tune but don't know how much and if it is worth it at this point. I started researching but didn't spend too much time. 2015 seems to be an oddball year for finding tunes.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
20min isn’t quite enough to not have issues it seems. 35-45min seems to be a sweet spot, much more is ideal.
Delete and tune if you can. I’m still babying mine but I know it’s a matter of time. Eco diesel makes a kit and tune, they’re the only one that has a way to do the DSG tune on your own too.
Just get her a Camry or Avalon.