Was a NON-DSG TDI even an option??

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Was a NON-DSG *Auto*TDI even an option??

Did the 2006 TDI come WITHOUT the DSG auto tranny? I'm wondering if it was even possible as I'm hunting and beleive I found the car I want this question is lingering in my mind. :confused:

Last edited:

njkayaker

Veteran Member
Mrrogers1 said:
Did the 2006 TDI come WITHOUT the DSG tranny? I'm wondering if it was even possible as I'm hunting and beleive I found the car I want this question is lingering in my mind. :confused:
The DSG was, like, a $1000 option. My 2006 is just the 5 speed manual.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
njkayaker said:
The DSG was, like, a $1000 option. My 2006 is just the 5 speed manual.
I am basically trying to figure out if the automatic transmissions in all the 2006 TDI's were DSG OR if there was a "regular" auto tranny. I'm just wonding what the MPG difference (respectively since everyone's mpg is based on a lot of different things) if any there is between the two IF this was even an option.

Any markings that would say "This is a DSG" car or not?? I'll of course ask tomorrow when I talk to te dealer but figured I'd talk to you all while I can't get to them.:)

Thanks!

Last edited:

bakerinva

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 "Special Edition" Jetta TDI
I believe they were all 6-speed DSGs, not regular auto trannys. Mine is a 2006.5 Special Edition with a 5-Speed manual. The new diesels (I believe) are supposed to have DSG standard with a 6-speed manual optional.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
All the TDI A5's use the DSG for an automatic. They say DSG on the shift lever.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
+1

All A5s in the USA (05.5 to 06.5) are either 5 speed manual or 6 speed DSG.
It will say DSG on the window sticker and on the gear selector lever.

It would seem (and YMMV) that there is about a 5-7 MPG penalty for choosing a DSG, but not everyone has reported this.

Either way, a really neat and fun to drive car.

EDIT to add this info for the TDI only, not gassers. EDIT

Bill

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

Thanks Guys! What threw me for a loop is that in the 2006 brochure (I've been waiting 2 years to pull the trigger) they list a regular 6 speed auto AND a 6 speed + DSG option. Must be "optional" on one of the other Jetta models.

I didn't want to be surprised (due to ignorance) when the auto I'm looking at was not a DSG.

My bestfriend has a 5-M and I love the ride but I can't justify the manual tranny as it's just more work BUT fun.

Edited to fix the horrible spelling. I was typing it on my PPC while "paying attention" to the wife. :)

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
You will love a DSG - The DSG is a computer operated manual trans. The automatic trans as we know it will become extinct One day the manual will be the option.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Mrrogers1 said:
Thanks Guys! What threw me for a loop is that in the 2006 brouchure (I've been waiting 2 years to pul the trigger) they lis a regular 6 speed auto AND a 6 speed + DSG option. Must be "optional" on one of the other Jetta models.
I didn't want to be surprised (due to ignorance) when theauto I'm looking at was a DSG.
My bestfriend has a 5-M and I love the ride but I can't justify the manual tranny as it's just more work BUT fun.
The 2.5 used the standard type automatic, the 2.0 and the TDI got the DSG trans.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
El Dobro said:
The 2.5 used the standard type automatic, the 2.0 and the TDI got the DSG trans.
Just what I was looking for. :)

I drove the DSG and I already know I'll love it. I'm really excited about having my own TDI and not having to borrow my buddy's to get my fix. Though I love my Honda and 33mpg, the Jetta is going to be a REAL NICE step up and the mileage is gonna be nice perk!

Thank you all for your help and I'm sure I'll be seeing you all more now. I lurked for a few months before my buddy got his but once I decided not to get mine at the same time, I left for a bit.

I'M BACK AND WITH MY OWN TDI! :D

KevC

Hey guys... are you sure all NA 2005.5+ jetta TDIs automatics are DSG? my friend told me only the 2005.5 is DSG... then 2006+ VW got cheap and put back the normal autos in there...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
KevC said:
Hey guys... are you sure all NA 2005.5+ jetta TDIs automatics are DSG? my friend told me only the 2005.5 is DSG... then 2006+ VW got cheap and put back the normal autos in there...
I am quite sure your friend is not an accurate source of info regarding TDIs,:D at least in this instance LOL. He is probably confusing the gasser models with TDIs, a common occurance.

Bill

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
FYI - The DSG must be serviced (fluid/filter r&r) every 40k miles. Most dealers do not know this.

The service isn't cheap either. $400 from a dealer and around $250 from a guru.

Just something to consider.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm ok with the 40k service and wouldn't trade my DSG for a 5M just to avoid costs. I don't know about the "buddy" and the DSG confusion but I do know my 2006.5 is indeed a DSG.