Warning lights and gauges no work

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Red Passat TDI 90hp 5 manual
Today suddenly, without warning, happened this: in the morning I parked the car in "everything works" condition. Tonight, when I was about to go home, I noticed on the cluster: fuel and temperature gauges and tacho don't work. With the key turned in "on" position, all the led warning lights, except the generator one, don't work. Everything else WORKS! Car starts normally, pulls like it should... I checked fuses, all are ok. Last 30 days I didn't touch the car (I mean, no repairs or cleaning at all, except adding 100gr of engine oil). I have no idea what happened. Help! Any advices and solutions? Thanks.

(This is an old picture, but the cluster is the same).
---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
Sat this morning in the car... all works!!? All the warn leds, tacho, temp and fuel gauge!! Strange, I have self-repairing car!
Maybe it's time to re-solder contacts on the cluster board? Opinions?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Not sure whether this pertains to your issue or not but some parts of the cluster are grounded at the lug near the orb of death (round electrical connector at the engine).

There should be three wires that ground on the orb bracket, make sure they're all clean and that the wires are intact.

Steve

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
I have this exact same issue.

I have cleaned the 3 wires and the ground on the engine side of things, and cleaned the grounds under the battery with no success.

Not sure how to proceed...

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, two days, all is ok. I'll check the grounds when I get some time off and if the problem re-appear, next is cluster board contacts re-soldering, so we'll see. Thanks, Steve.