Warning: Capacitors in Passat B4 clusters cause trouble

roadrunner89

TDI
Eurovan R5 102HP
Hi everybody,
Generally I'm not doing a lot of stuff on the Passat B4, because I'm more an Eurovan TDI fan.
But from the electrical view, the Eurovan is quite similar to the B4 and also the Passat B4 clusters have been used in the Eurovan in some model years.

This information is only relevant for you, if your cluster looks like the one below (MotoMeter without screws on the metal gauge plates)

In the German t4forum I'm doing a lot of stuff with the clusters and during the last time, a lot of clusters hat problems due to leaking capacitors.
In the best case, the capacitor is just losing some of it's capacity and the needles start to dance or the cluster resets at every engine start, but in the worst case it can cause a short circuit, which will damage the cluster's PCB beyond repair.

Source: vwbuswiki

Exchanging the capacitors in the upper right corner and cleaning the PCB is not a big deal, if you find someone, who is experienced in soldering.

You just need a 470 uF capacitor and depending on the version of your PCB a 220 uF or 68 uF capacitor.

For the guys located in Europe, i can exchange the capacitors for you, if you are not able to do it on your own.

Best regards from northern Germany

Alex

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi everybody,
Generally I'm not doing a lot of stuff on the Passat B4, because I'm more an Eurovan TDI fan.
But from the electrical view, the Eurovan is quite similar to the B4 and also the Passat B4 clusters have been used in the Eurovan in some model years.

This information is only relevant for you, if your cluster looks like the one below (MotoMeter without screws on the metal gauge plates)

In the German t4forum I'm doing a lot of stuff with the clusters and during the last time, a lot of clusters hat problems due to leaking capacitors.
In the best case, the capacitor is just losing some of it's capacity and the needles start to dance or the cluster resets at every engine start, but in the worst case it can cause a short circuit, which will damage the cluster's PCB beyond repair.

Source: vwbuswiki

Exchanging the capacitors in the upper right corner and cleaning the PCB is not a big deal, if you find someone, who is experienced in soldering.

You just need a 470 uF capacitor and depending on the version of your PCB a 220 uF or 68 uF capacitor.

For the guys located in Europe, i can exchange the capacitors for you, if you are not able to do it on your own.

Best regards from northern Germany

Alex
The trick is to replace them before they get to the point of destroying the cluster completely.

Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
does anyone work on these on this side of the pond? I may have 2 that need help...

(One has the gas gauge pop up and down until its a little less that completely full... which is about 300 mile on my B4V)

thanks,
Steve