Warm-up Time

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Two questions--

1. At 45*, it took 3 miles of driving for the needle to hit 190* (I realize this is a fiction). About half of that was city, then I got on a 3-lane highway for the second half. Is this reasonable/normal for the ALH?

2. When the motor is cold, does it warm the motor up more quickly if I stay in lower gears more, around 2200 rpm?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The more load on the engine, the more heat will develop in the cylinders which will heat your coolant. Install a frost heater if you don’t like waiting. Quickest way to heat it up otherwise is to jam on it

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
l should've been more clear in my post--I meant from a FE perspective. With that in mind, what's the best way to drive a cold motor?

Also, I don't like to give any motor too much of a load when it's cold, but I understand more load=quicker warm-up.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Drive more worry less is a saying I heard that made good sense

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Also, replace the thermostat if it hasn't been replaced recently. They can get to opening just a little prematurely in their old age, which can lengthen warm up times. They are relatively easy to change on the ALH.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Personally, I start up .... put on seat belts etc and pull off in about 30 seconds.

I run in fist gear to a max of 1500 - 1600 RPM and drive the first .2 miles that way (in my neighborhood it is a very slight hill).

When I hit the next street (mostly level / slight downhill) I get up to 3rd gear using no more than 1/3 throttle.

When I hit the main road I get to use 4th BUT I make sure to use no more than about 1/3 throttle to 40% throttle

Max shift point revs is 2200 - 2300 (max speed in 4th is 2300 rpm)

I drive that way until the water temp hits 170 degrees before using 5th and only a max of 40% throttle until water temp reaches 190 ( I don't use OD as a carryover from my cummins pick up days .... the first gens would not allow OD until water temp reached I think 160 or 165).

I think gradual / moderate warm up is best but I don't flog it even when up to temp unless doing my once or twice per tank Italian Tune up.

Andrew