Warm up time?

patinum

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
First, I looked at the FAQ. I understand warm up time is an issue with TDI's but my question is in regards to the MK4 Golf.

I used to have a 98 Jetta TDI and a big reason I got rid of it was because of a long warm up time (there were other issues with the car as well though). My commute is 4 miles all city (Chicago). On those sub-zero blizzard days I could get stuck in traffic for 45 minutes with effectively no heat. Was this improved with this generation TDI? I miss the great city mpg, hate hybrids, and love hatchbacks.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Nothing will be different. Do you have access to an outside AC outlet?

ccs32

Veteran Member
TDI
blue '02 Jetta
I suggest a winter front or block of the grill to prevent wind from blowing away heat. I live in buffalo and also have a 4 mile commute. I go out of my way to take the thruway, but sometimes the snow is awful and I have to take the city roads. Don't use the heat, dress warm, and use your rear defrost and seat heaters to add engine load. I occasionally turn the fan on low blowing cold as it appwaes to increase engine temp... not sure why. All-in-all the car is almost always parked at full temp before work without the use of my frost heater.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02, you're free to disagree- If your commute is only 4 miles, I'd recommend something other than a TDI. I wouldn't expect the increased city MPG to be worth that much, compared to better winter warmup etc. from a gas engine.

jake8842

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS 5spd
I installed the foam insulation pipe in my grill this winter. Made a world of difference. Heated up so much quicker. Was getting sick of freezing my a#@ off. I would have to agree with corsair. If i only had a 4 mile drive, my daily driver would be a crew cab 4x4 diesel. :). Calculate 4 miles x price of diesel at city mpg compared to a gas job. I would bet it would take 20 years to break even

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
First, I looked at the FAQ. I understand warm up time is an issue with TDI's but my question is in regards to the MK4 Golf.

I used to have a 98 Jetta TDI and a big reason I got rid of it was because of a long warm up time (there were other issues with the car as well though). My commute is 4 miles all city (Chicago). On those sub-zero blizzard days I could get stuck in traffic for 45 minutes with effectively no heat. Was this improved with this generation TDI? I miss the great city mpg, hate hybrids, and love hatchbacks.
Just want to point out that if you love the mpg but hate the warm up, you're out of luck, as that's the cost of being efficient. The newest cars have an electric heater to get luke warm air, but not the MK4.

I cringe for the poor TDI that gets the 4 mile city commute in Chicago :)

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Sounds like the Frost Heater w/ a timer is the way to go for the OP.
That way you'll start out at a higher temp. Add some pipe insulation over the grill to restrict cold air flow and you should be fine.
Aside from the comfort factor that you get from the warmer engine, it's also better for engine efficiency and longevity.

patinum

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like it will be gas for me. My 4 mile commute is short but everywhere else I go is a long drive. Drive 30 minutes to an hour to the suburbs to hang out with friends, like to go on road trips, and a buddy of mine drives my "daily" to the race track (1 - 4 hour drives) for me so I can get my race tires there (he works as a volunteer at races to earn free track time). I had a civic hatchback which seemed perfect for my needs but then some thief decided I shouldn't buy civics anymore.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
A civic HX 5 speed is nearly as economical as a TDI after taking into account fuel prices. It does however, feel like your driving in a tin can compared to a mk4.

patinum

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
A civic HX 5 speed is nearly as economical as a TDI after taking into account fuel prices. It does however, feel like your driving in a tin can compared to a mk4.
I'd love a civic HX but I just can't deal with another theft. My integra and civic were both stolen within 2 months of me buying them. Granted, it was an integra gsr and a slightly modified civic hatch which are both more desirable than an HX, but those cars are just too easy to steal.