Warm start - High rev

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
One of our '98 Jettas seems a little excited about re-starting after having been driven round town.

When the engine is hot/warm, re-start is often followed by a rev up to 2800 rpm or so before promptly returning to normal idle speed. No problems on a cold start.

Is this indicative of injector clogation or a timing issue perhaps?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
No, more than likely the rubber o-ring on the fuel cut off solenoid came out of place. As you look at injection pump from front of car, on the right side where injector lines come out, you will see a 1-wire electrical connection. You will need, I believe, a 24mm wrench(I bought a 22mm/24mm dual open end wrench from Sears for around $20,I think)-take wire off,and very carefully loosen the solenoid-be careful to not hit injector lines when it breaks free, unscrew solenoid out, be careful and watch for o-ring- I slid mine up onto solenoid as far as it would go( any other members can chime in here if this was wrong, it worked for me) , then reassemble. Should take care of problem-I also had low power when this happened to me- let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I would agree with the above post - only issue I see is that the o-ring problem would effect every start - hot or cold it shouldn't matter if the
o-ring is in fact the problem. Been there done that twice..lol.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, that's the stop solenoid o-ring. Usually you can just put it back in place and it's fine.

casey_tdi97

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,97,red
Why not just put in a new o ring if it will not maintain its position. Is there a groove for it or is just on the shaft.
Casey.