WANTED: Bosio race 683 nozzles to fit v6 tdi engines

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Anyone interested can reserve a set of Bosio 683 Race nozzles.
I'm about to order them from Bosio and have to order 120 Pcs minimum.
Production will still need 2-3 months.

Last edited:

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Just to be clear. I ordered a set of 20 Bosio Race 683 of which 14 Sets are already reserved. If by the time they arrive in 4 moths (normal Bosio production time) I haven't sold them, I will announce it here. But it seems that Bosio Race in the UK are not a topic anymore.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
To be honest diesel is well frowned upon uk so folk has moved to newer platforms which are readily tuneable !

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Seems that the Germans have more trust in used Diesel engines. At least I got 14 orders of the 20 sets and here no one seems to be interested even thouh this was an once an impressive thread.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately the trend in uk is to change cars every few years especially if it starts to give trouble, the new Ultra Low Emission Zone has sent many decent cars to the graveyard…coupled with lack of info and conflicting information and you get the picture why there’s no demand of spare v6 tdi tuning parts ! I hope you get a decent job return on your effort and investment and hopefully you get to keep a few more of these cars running for longer on the road ! Keep us posted on how things progress, I might send a few folk your way but it’s nothing written in stone yet !

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Some build these as for trackdays, weekend race or race purposes only and not for daily so not so worried about emissions etc.
Nowdays it is quite a easy build 400hp out these. Once I figure out how to increase boost / boost control wisely up to 4bar+ on my setup I think 500hp+ is no joke fuel only.

I wonder if those bosios are gen2 ones that fit new injector bodies or gen1 and ony for afb injectors?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if those bosios are gen2 ones that fit new injector bodies or gen1 and ony for afb injectors?
How could you tell which version they are ? Reason is I have had nozzles fitted to AFB injectors and they ran great and really bad on AKE injectors but I also bought a few sets and fitted them to AFB bodies and they didn’t run as expected…there was no mention on their boxes from Bosio, none that I noticed !
Yes, you’re right, it’s quite easy to get 400 Bhp out of these nowadays, nozzles, decent modern turbo, nozzles and a good remap will see you pretty close…when I tuned my old allroad 2001 with a BAU engine and gtb2260vk hybrid, it pulled as hard as a Porsche Panamera biturbo…to the point where the fuel lift pump couldn’t keep up with the demand from the main vp44 pump and injector combo ! I was scared how fast it was…if I threw that engine into a lighter car it would have been savagely fast !

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Gen1 the original ones are nozzle pin located under the deck, like the original afb nozzles have. Gen2 ones have the nozzle needle is at the deck level so they fit newer injector bodies. Also if you use afb bodies on the newer engines you have to turn off the pre-injection, afb has different nozzle opening pressures so it messes up newer ecus.

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
I have a few sets of original Bosio Race 683 left.
They are AFB type. Bosio informed me that they never had any others.
I will let mine be adjusted professionally so in this case it doesn't matter if AFB or AKE since to my konowledge only the spot of the pin is different, which, when adjusted doesn't matter anyways.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
That is weird stuff since I have hold one set my hand. Maybe some knockoffs then? Anyway that is good news for anybody who still likes to
tune these. The problem is with some diesel shops don't want to do "custom" works and if the nozzle needs some extra effort for mounting
they reject the job. I have BDH here and they don't like to run steady with AFB injectors since its messes up the preinjection.

Wish I had more time to work with the nozzles and injectors. I have some upgrade nozzles and few ideas but never got time to test them correctly.
It might be that I need also something new to go past 500hp. Still going strong with stock pump and +90% nozzles (same flow sized as race683). So good atleast over 400hp

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, you’re right, it’s quite easy to get 400 Bhp out of these nowadays, nozzles, decent modern turbo, nozzles and a good remap will see you pretty close…
I must say it is not that "easy", lets say after 320-330hp. Some hardware mods needs to be done even before that but if you want to make these
make cleaner power you really need to upgrade fueling, heads, valvesprings and cams. And it is not even if you need modern turbo, you need big enough turbo to provide high boost levels with low back pressure. That combo is hard to find.

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
I have BDH here and they don't like to run steady with AFB injectors since its messes up the preinjection.
Aren't the BDH nozzles the single spring type since the pre-injection is done by the pump itself?
In this case they won't run nicely but will cause errors.
I could imagine that the +100% nozzles from China were sold as Gen2 nozzles since they fit the AKE/BAU nozzle holder.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
All the 2.5tdi injectors are with two springs. The key thing is the relationship between the stages. Pre-injection is of course pump made but result is verified by the small lift of the nozzle. Probably tweaking preinjection map can resolve that issue. coding is not my thing :D

Last edited:

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
BTW: Does anyone know how to reinforce the Tiptronic transmission?
Mine is slipping between 1800 and 2500 rpm.
Therefore I cannot use the possible power but have to limit the torque.
Thanks!

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
5hp19 is indeed not taking that much torque. 450-500nm max. for longetivity. Like most automatics it probaby can be rebuilt with extra clutches and/or better clutch material that takes more torque. for now with proper ecu tune you can limit the torque down and make it linear. 500nm is good for 300hp. Keep in mind that when using bigger nozzles original torque calculation on ecu is not working and gives false readings to gearbox.

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Thanks for the information. The transmission's ECU was programmed to the new bigger nozzles (previously Cummins +80%).
I am considering a transmission rebuild anyways since I have more than 500.000km on it.
Also I would love to build in a longer differential (from the normal A6 Vanagon. I have an Allroad) plus rear diff to give me a higher end speed. At the moment it revs into the limiter at 230km/h.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Aren't the BDH nozzles the single spring type since the pre-injection is done by the pump itself?
In this case they won't run nicely but will cause errors.
I could imagine that the +100% nozzles from China were sold as Gen2 nozzles since they fit the AKE/BAU nozzle holder.
Definitely there is difference between the AKE injectors and AFB ones and the gen1 bosio ran like sh*te on any newer injectors: ake/bau/bdh, etc. As I mentioned above, I had quite a few sets in my hands and there was slight difference on the boxes, close enough to be different manufacturers…I bought most of my injectors from an outfit in Portugal (Santerchips) and from Jeremy Lear in uk back in the day…I still have one set of AFB injectors fitted with bosio race nozzles, I will take some pictures of the boxes the nozzles came in so we can compare them to the ones you have…

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I still lust after a v6 tdi project, however it’s much easier to get 300 bhp nowadays of a pd130 engine than it was before and insurance/tax is killing it for me in Romania…if I ever find a decent b5 v6 tdi Quattro I will make a nice project out of it, I have a c5 auto in my backyard- rare 180 bhp AKE but front wheel drive, brand new set of bau cyl heads, a turbo kit with all adapters and pipes and a nice sacks sre clutch…on the lookout to get a old b2 Audi 100 Quattro and a couple of CrMo pipes would make such a ripper out of it ! I was close to buy an old wide body Porsche 911 with no engine and interior but in pretty good shape structurally, unfortunately seller messed me about with the paperwork and the deal fell trough…imagine that car stripped out with a modded v6 tdi in the back !

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Definitely there is difference between the AKE injectors and AFB ones and the gen1 bosio ran like sh*te on any newer injectors: ake/bau/bdh, etc. As I mentioned above, I had quite a few sets in my hands and there was slight difference on the boxes, close enough to be different manufacturers…I bought most of my injectors from an outfit in Portugal (Santerchips) and from Jeremy Lear in uk back in the day…I still have one set of AFB injectors fitted with bosio race nozzles, I will take some pictures of the boxes the nozzles came in so we can compare them to the ones you have…
Funny enough Bosio replied to me that there is no Gen1 or Gen2. Just the AFB style replacement. If there was, I would have ordered the newer generation.

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
Hi guys!

I‘m now fitting my nozzles into AFB bodies.
Any recommendations on the opening pressure?
Stock is 230-240 bar. I would go for at least 260 bar. Any other suggestions?
For the Cummins it was recommended to use 300bar. In mine the Cummins were really smoky in idle, even with 260Bar.
I heard the Bosio should be low in smoke? Still I think +70% is quite big for stock opening pressure?

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
That’s logical. AFB have big differences in construction! The nozzle needle top is 0,3 mm lower than AKE/BAU

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys!

I‘m now fitting my nozzles into AFB bodies.
Any recommendations on the opening pressure?
Stock is 230-240 bar. I would go for at least 260 bar. Any other suggestions?
For the Cummins it was recommended to use 300bar. In mine the Cummins were really smoky in idle, even with 260Bar.
I heard the Bosio should be low in smoke? Still I think +70% is quite big for stock opening pressure?
280bar is fine for those.

ben0069

TDI
allroad 2.5 tdi v6
Strange, as my injectors with the cummins are stock opening pressure and not smokey at all...

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiny quality nozzles usually work with stock 240bar pressure just fine.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I had them set at stock pressure and had no issues either…some of my friends drove with stock pressures for years, some had them set properly and still broke a piston !

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny enough Bosio replied to me that there is no Gen1 or Gen2. Just the AFB style replacement. If there was, I would have ordered the newer generation.
So just got my hands on new set of races. Just few weeks ago sold set old type. This is second this type of race683 that I have had. Now took photos.
they are different. Hard to tell if they are knockoffs or just bosio has made different types with same part number.

Knightboat

TDI
2.5 V6 AKE
That's really interesting!
I will confront Bosio with this since it would have saved a lot of work to receive this type.
They look original to me. Just one question: The number 26 on the bottom engraved or printed?

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Just sold those and shipped them out but it think it was engraved or actually looked more like metal stamp.

TDI
2.5TDI V6 BDH
Just sold those and shipped them out but it think it was engraved or actually looked more like metal stamp.
Hey everyone. I was wondering that here is so much texting about 2.5TDI in the year 2023.
Im from germany and going to to do a modify to my Audi B6 the next few weeks.
Until now i drove a 2052 Stage 3 from H-Turbo with ****ty East Europe Nozzles, FMIC, and a empty stock exhaust system.
It makes around 300hp. But the software was made in eastern europe so its very very bad and smoky.

So now im going to make me a complete new and stable 2.5TDI BDH. I will seal the complete engine new, new head gaskets, surface grinding the heads, new camshafts full material from "Kolbenschmidt", new valve seals, rebuild VP44...
I also made me a pair of exhaust manifolds out of the ones from 2.7BiTurbo, so i wont have problems with cracked stock ones. Also going to find out which is the biggest size of FMIC i can mount in a A4 B6. Clutch were made from a friend of me, its a Sinter who can make around 700Nm. Flywheel is a new stock one, we will see how it works.
The Turbo will be a Holset HX35 with steam wheel. RPM will be increades to around 6000. My Goal is to get around 381hp. I will see and im confident a "****ty" 2.5TDI can make more HP than an stock Rs4 B5.
Or is there a better more modern Turbo to go for 380hp? Sometimes i thougt about a 2260 Hybrid?

So now i have a question about you Diffas. I read often about using other valve springs when going about 350hp. Whats the advantage of doing this step? Which one can i use for my BDH heads?
I also wanted so ask if anybody know people fitting a HX35 on 2.5TDI. Which nozzles should i get to make 380-400+HP?

Last edited: