• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

Wanted: Bosal hitch 2" reciever adapter

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. I'v emailed them, I've also contacted Tesla who so far all they;ve done is add me to their mailing list :) The downside of no dealerships.

Last edited:

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to give you the bad news but this type of 2 X 2 receiver/hitch is only being made for the OE market. As far as making this for the aftermarket it is just not going to happen.
You can still purchase the ball mount with the 2” ball attached to it from ID Parts in MA. @ 888 444 7951

Thank you

Michael Yatkowitz

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
So tesla is my last option from the sounds of it.
That is pretty frustrating. I'm still not clear on what the issue is with Bosal in the USA. I'm curious what the liabilities are or if it is a DOT issue. Obviously it would be a pretty high-demand product in our niche market. If they are now selling the hitches through IDParts, why not sell this too? It is rated for towing after all so should work just as well as the swan neck on the VW hitches.

Keep us posted on any progress with Tesla, or whether you can figure out how to "gray market" it from some Tesla owner who "loses" it and needs a new one. Haha.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike is a great guy so far. He's going to research if there are other OEM's using this system. He called me up and told me that the reason they stopped selling it was due to fitment issues and the guy who developed it had stopped working there so the project never was completed. Until tesla came shopping and that was the solution they preferred.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Mike is a great guy so far. He's going to research if there are other OEM's using this system. He called me up and told me that the reason they stopped selling it was due to fitment issues and the guy who developed it had stopped working there so the project never was completed. Until tesla came shopping and that was the solution they preferred.
What's strange is it was briefly sold through etrailer as an aftermarket item. But I think they pulled everything from Bosal because they weren't DOT compliant or something like that. Not sure what the status is now. Maybe that Jeep or Chevy part number could be found and it could be ordered through a dealer?

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
The only issue IIRC with Bosal not being DOT compliant was, there was only one safety chain point on the hitch. This does not allow for two safety chains to be crossed, per DOT regulations.

As far as the 2" square adapter, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be offered. These sales guys at Bosal need to sharpen their thought process.

My MK4 Bosal hitch I got from IDParts a few years ago was like this, and I thought that was the reason why these hitches got pulled from the market in the first place.

When I saw recently that IDParts was going to have them available again, I assumed this had been addressed. Not sure if this is the case or not.

It would be very easy for Bosal to accomplish this with existing parts. See picture of MK4 mount with one chain point below.

Last edited:

mongoose711

TDI
03 Wolfsburg ALH swapped
Thank you. I'v emailed them, I've also contacted Tesla who so far all they've done is add me to their mailing list :) The downside of no dealerships.
Tried my luck with Tesla service and their PN (for reference 1027582-00-a). Was told they don't have the stock to even consider selling separate from a Model X with the Tow package currently. Asked about "replacement" availability in the future and got told there's no talks about that currently.
Bosal PN should be 043964.
I suppose for anyone in the states there is an option as there is a Fleabay auction running for one off a Tesla currently, but that won't help those of us in our igloos North of the 49th as the seller won't ship here.

Last edited:

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
The only issue IIRC with Bosal not being DOT compliant was, there was only one safety chain point on the hitch. This does not allow for two safety chains to be crossed, per DOT regulations.

As far as the 2" square adapter, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be offered. These sales guys at Bosal need to sharpen their thought process.

My MK4 Bosal hitch I got from IDParts a few years ago was like this, and I thought that was the reason why these hitches got pulled from the market in the first place.

When I saw recently that IDParts was going to have them available again, I assumed this had been addressed. Not sure if this is the case or not.

It would be very easy for Bosal to accomplish this with existing parts. See picture of MK4 mount with one chain point below.
Just ordered a Bosal hitch without chain loops. Plan to fab my own. Do you have any other info on that chain tab?

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Tried my luck with Tesla service and their PN (for reference 1027582-00-a). Was told they don't have the stock to even consider selling separate from a Model X with the Tow package currently. Asked about "replacement" availability in the future and got told there's no talks about that currently.
Bosal PN should be 043964.
I suppose for anyone in the states there is an option as there is a Fleabay auction running for one off a Tesla currently, but that won't help those of us in our igloos North of the 49th as the seller won't ship here.
Same answer

I finally got recently. I even had a tesla owner contact them as he "lost" his and they didn't think they could get him a replacement yet.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
So if someone really wants one someone offered me the adapter from a tesla for 299$ the price it cost them. That is very steep considering the Etrailer one was less the 60$

geoffct

TDI
Audi
So if someone really wants one someone offered me the adapter from a tesla for 299$ the price it cost them. That is very steep considering the Etrailer one was less the 60$
I've been watching for these for quite a while now too, but while the original price at etrailer varied a bit, it was generally $200. It's even on the forums here

I've tried through a European Bosal / Oris dealer, who found the part number is a US only part number and not order-able outside of the US. The US division claimed to be out of the trailer hitch / towbar market entirely to a muffler shop I asked to try to order the part number. My emails to the PR contact from SEMA at Bosal went unanswered.

If you find a source at a reasonable price ($100-200), please let me know. (If they had ever been $60, I would have bought at least 2.) There are a few $35-60 vertical hitch adapters similar to the old C5 Audi Allroad adapter 2in-2in 90 which were compared against the Bosal adapter on etrailer.

As far as production, I cannot believe that Bosal was sitting on thousands of these until Tesla came along asking. They're likely being manufactured again, but given these require a cast-weld-machine process compared to the normal swan necks' simpler cast-machine, there may be a choke point limiting how fast they can make them.

Thanks,
Geoff

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up with a uni-rak And in the end it's been way more practical then a reciever

The downside is I had to make a reciever adapter fit it but It's been a really practical item for all sorts of things. And it's all bolted on so I can change it in all sorts of ways. I've made a few accesories for it to carry various things My 2" reciever buike carrier easily bolted to it after I removed the Square part.

Uni rak is a UK thing, its just a clamp for the ball

http://www.bak-rak.com/uni-rak.htm

I'd still love to find the Etrailer adapter though it's "quicker"

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Can you show me the picture of your Uni-Rak with the 2" receiver bike carrier?

Reason I needed the bosal adapter was my 2" tandem bike rack that shoots the bike straight up into the sky. Can't find anything like it that mounts the bike off the roof and isn't crazy expensive.

What was the Cost of Uni-Rak shipped ?

Cheers Gotrek

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Next spring? It's all in storage now not much biking taking place around here :) I switched to my snowmobile trailer :)

I got the Unirak for abour 54$ canadian shipped as it was on sale.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I was looking at the pictures and trying to figure out how to get the 2" to hold solid to the brass channel. Can't seem to imagine it.

See you next Spring =)

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine pivots like the picture so I removed the 2" adapter piece on it and tied the pivoting point to the unirack mounted verticly. I had to make my own spacers and bolts and retaining system so I could still pivot it. I do have to angle it a bit though because the unirack hits the hatch on my wagon when vertical

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Perfect, I can work with that information! Mine pivots the same way. Emailing them now about shipping to California.,

Thanks GoTrek!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does anybody know if the Bosal and Westfalia Swan necks are interchangeable? Bosal quit making a towbar for a MKIV 4 Motion vehicle, but Westfalia does and if they are interchangeable, I'd start looking for one of those 2" receiver adapters.
Well technically I found one on Ebay, but they want $520+ $29.70 for shipping :eek:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosal-Tesla-model-X-hitch-adapter-like-new/323285493457?hash=item4b455126d1:g:49YAAOSwPGpbDLbM
TIA for any help. :)

Late but never, yes I've read they westy and bosal have the same mechanism.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been watching for these for quite a while now too, but while the original price at etrailer varied a bit, it was generally $200. It's even on the forums here
I've tried through a European Bosal / Oris dealer, who found the part number is a US only part number and not order-able outside of the US. The US division claimed to be out of the trailer hitch / towbar market entirely to a muffler shop I asked to try to order the part number. My emails to the PR contact from SEMA at Bosal went unanswered.
If you find a source at a reasonable price ($100-200), please let me know. (If they had ever been $60, I would have bought at least 2.) There are a few $35-60 vertical hitch adapters similar to the old C5 Audi Allroad adapter 2in-2in 90 which were compared against the Bosal adapter on etrailer.
As far as production, I cannot believe that Bosal was sitting on thousands of these until Tesla came along asking. They're likely being manufactured again, but given these require a cast-weld-machine process compared to the normal swan necks' simpler cast-machine, there may be a choke point limiting how fast they can make them.
Thanks,
Geoff

My wonder is if Tesal just bought bosal out of the hitch manufacturing business and is now sourcing their own parts through the same manufacturing chain. Almost seems like something tesla would do just because. PFjones doens't even list them for mk7 anymore.

IDparts mentioned that they may get the last order of Bosal tow bars for the mk7 platform this summer but not sure. Also bosal isn't in the tow bar business anymore.

Last edited:

Ontario

TDI
Sportwagen
Just for clarity’s sake, and to have the info in a couple different places:
The Bosal connection is not the same as the Westfalia connection. See below:

Note the intermediate step in the Westfalia swan neck. The trigger ball sits in this intermediate step, and the Bosal would need to have that machined into it. I’m not sure that’s possible without wrecking the mechanism or ruining the retention of the ball. The difference in diameters is on the order of 2mm. The top portion is also a different diameter, Westy is approx 1.5 mm smaller, same issue with machining. I have tried many times to get the Bosal into my Westy hitch and it won’t go far enough in for the top balls to engage the retention ring before the mechanism is tripped.

I’ve felt that the balls are slightly magnetized so maybe retention wouldn’t be an issue? According to this video (Westfalia vid showing assembly of a Skoda Octavia wagon towbar [same as the sportwagens]. Assembly of an anutomatic swan neck at 2:00), https://youtu.be/Wr0CGZ1AK90, they’re placed from the outside and the balls aren’t retained by holes. I haven’t gone to a machine shop to enquire.
Dave

Last edited:

Filmshoot

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
Good info Dave!! I found out the same. Where I'm at now... I want to have my westfalia hitch modified to accept a 2" square usa style receiver. I saw a photo online once that showed someone who did this very thing by making a rectangular metal plate for the 2inch square receiver to sit on , that was slightly wider and had 2 holes drilled on either side of the square receiver this allowed for 2 U-bolts to be installed over the westfalia and in through those small holes to help hold the square receiver and plate onto the westfalia neck, at the bottom under the ball, so you could still use the westy ball and/or the receiver!! It was all welded tight. Looked legit... But I cannot find that image anywhere any more!!! Frustrating as hell because it might have been lost due to the photobucket extortion

...just tapped out with a thumb or 2, please don't mind the abbreviations and grammatical faults.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Film- The one you are describing might be Gary's design (gjslutz - see above) where the pix are no longer loading.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
awww crap, there goes my hopes of sourcing a bosal adapter for my westy hitch. I'm thinking next option would be sourcing a replacement westy swan neck, then welding a 2" reese some where to the neck.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have an odd ball Brink removable swan neck hitch on my 05 PW
I have on order a swan neck to 2" US receiver adapter from Watling Engineering in UK
Cost with shipping is about $160
Description states it is suitable for a bike rack but not for towing which should suit my needs
If there is enough interest, this could be a good group buy
My cost was 75euro plus 45euro shipping
I saw 60ea/5 plus should be able to save significantly on shipping
Might be able to get total cost down to a $100ea
This company does a lot of custom hitch work

Last edited: