Wanted: 2002~2003 ALH TDI Jetta GLS without rust

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Good afternoon fellow TDI enthusiasts,

I am looking for a rust-free 2002~2003 TDI Jetta GLS with manual transmission and the ALH engine, sun roof, cruise control, and Monsoon if possible.
I will consider 1,000~1,200-mile range from Portland, Maine to find the right car. Minor cosmetics issues are fine with me but no rust please.

If anyone has suggestions on other forums where to post my TDI wanted request, let me know - thank you.

It may sound crazy but that particular model era (and the fact that I can work on it) has a huge emotional meaning to me as a Veteran. I thank you for your help and support.

Ciao, L

My 2002 Jetta TDI passed away with automatic transmission failure (240K miles)
My 2001 Jetta TDI will no longer pass state inspection (rust) at 245K miles (I can use it for non-suspension parts)

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
ALH Jetta wagon was 2002 and 2003.

After 2003, the Jetta wagon has a BEW engine.

No "Sportwagen" moniker until the MkV body.

Cruise Control was standard on the TDIs from 02 & 03.

IIRC, Sunroof and Monsoon will be the GLS for 02 and 03, although Monsoon might have been listed as an option for 02, along with winter package or leather package, etc.

You can use a search engine to check all of Craigslist / Ebay / Classifieds with various search terms.

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
ALH Jetta wagon was 2002 and 2003.

After 2003, the Jetta wagon has a BEW engine.

No "Sportwagen" moniker until the MkV body.

Cruise Control was standard on the TDIs from 02 & 03.

IIRC, Sunroof and Monsoon will be the GLS for 02 and 03, although Monsoon might have been listed as an option for 02, along with winter package or leather package, etc.

You can use a search engine to check all of Craigslist / Ebay / Classifieds with various search terms.
Hi hskrdu,

Thank you for the information, "I stand corrected" and will fix my request.

Your avatar reminds me of the devices of USMC Warrant Officers I met in my 28-year career (Navy), is it possible or is this a new TDI design from VW?

Thank you again,
Ciao, L

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Sharp eye! Earlier TDIs in Europe used different color letters to designate the power or series of an engine (see the logo at the top of the Club page), and that eventually made its way here with the blue "I" in the later CR engines. As it turns out, the larger sized rank insignia is almost a match for the MkIV letters, so I used one for the avatar. Congrats on 28 years! S/F

Here's one of those search engines:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I might have what you need, but I'm in California. You can check out my old threads for some info on the car. Sitting at around 160k. Doesn't get driven much. Should probably take care of timing belt soon.

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Sharp eye! Earlier TDIs in Europe used different color letters to designate the power or series of an engine (see the logo at the top of the Club page), and that eventually made its way here with the blue "I" in the later CR engines. As it turns out, the larger sized rank insignia is almost a match for the MkIV letters, so I used one for the avatar. Congrats on 28 years! S/F

Here's one of those search engines:
Hi hskrdu,
Thank you for the compliments.

About the "sharp eye"... this "blessing in disguise" was a necessity flying combat missions unfortunately this state of mind (being on the alert) creates havoc coming back home (PTSD), especially in our society (as a Baby Boomer raised in rural New England, fifties/sixties culture was more "peaceful", at least in my area). Times have changed...

Thank you for the search engine - I will give it a try. If you see a 2002~2003 in your part of the country, let me know.
Ciao, L

Last edited:

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
I might have what you need, but I'm in California. You can check out my old threads for some info on the car. Sitting at around 160k. Doesn't get driven much. Should probably take care of timing belt soon.
Hi SFHGolfTDI,
Thank you for answering my "plea",
I may sound like I am from another planet (I do feel like it at times), can you tell me how to I get to your old posts, can you give me a hint or a link?
Caio,
L

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi SFHGolfTDI,
Thank you for answering my "plea",
I may sound like I am from another planet (I do feel like it at times), can you tell me how to I get to your old posts, can you give me a hint or a link?
Caio,
L
Click on his username, then his username again, then Postings. Intuitive ;)

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
I have a 2000 tdi gls 195 k. Runs great pic in profile

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I found mine on FB Marketplace. Had to show it some attention, but overall got quite lucky. No rust, nice inside and out and runs pretty nice( now that it runs ). The real deals evaporate quite quick; have to know enough about what you are doing to move fast...but that applies to any classifieds sort. Pics on page 246 of What did you do to your Mk4 Today, put up by JDSwan.

Your 1k mile radius will get you well out of the rust belt if you head the right direction( towards that Health Resort jus' off the coast of SC, yes?)
cheers,
Douglas

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I've got an 03 alh wagon 5spd that I may be selling if you're still looking.