Wandering/floating(?) at highway speeds after alignment

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
FWIW + IMO if i were you maybe you should run over the techs foot as he/she is lazy for not getting it to 0 unless something is bent, the toe should be at or very close to 0, same setting both sides. IMO if not it will zig zag.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
FWIW + IMO if i were you maybe you should run over the techs foot as he/she is lazy for not getting it to 0 unless something is bent, the toe should be at or very close to 0, same setting both sides. IMO if not it will zig zag.
I'll see what he says today. I hate to argue with mechanics because I take a car to them because I assume they know better than me. But looking at the spec sheet for alignment, you think he could have got the numbers to look better?

I think he was just trying to save me money. He knows I'm tired of dumping money into the car and everything was pretty close to being in spec at least? I pay him enough so I don't feel bad about having him check things over again. Will update later

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I would make sure everything is TIGHT first. These really have a brutally simple textbook Mac strut front suspension, there isn't much on them to check.

Seatman is from the other side of the Atlantic, and "track rod ball joint" means the outer tie rod end.

Also, I always chuckle when people say "lower ball joint". It's just a ball joint, there is no upper on that car. ;)

(like my brother, the plumber, who winces when people say "hot water heater".... if your water was hot, you wouldn't need a heater, would you?) :D

It is a track rod end, the rod that deals with the tracking! Sheesh :D

As for the ball joint, the steering ball joints are higher up lol

It probably comes from double wishbone setups or something and has just stuck

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On another note, my best one yet for causing weird tracking issues was a bent strut, it had actually bent right at the bottom and wasn't obvious until you removed it lol

Man that made the car horrible to drive

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are lots of differences from British/UK/English English and American English, that's just one of them. But I watch enough Brit TV car shows to know most of them. Bonnets, LOL....

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
There are lots of differences from British/UK/English English and American English, that's just one of them. But I watch enough Brit TV car shows to know most of them. Bonnets, LOL....
They don't always make sense. I'm used to calling it a tie rod of course because I'm Canadian. But what does "tie rod" mean? Rods that are tied together? Doesn't really make sense but I'm not going to call it something different 😀

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I gave up trying to remove the ball joint. I tried the method where you undo the sway bar link and try removing the ball joint that way. Without removing the axle but, control arm, etc. Basically the laziest method there is?Can get the nut backed off but the ball joint won't come out. I tried hammering on it as per YouTube vids but it won't move.

Swearing and penetrating oil didn't help.

I was still driving the car. Feels really strange. I can't wait to see what happens when I get these parts replaced. It seems like ball joint to me. It has play side to side. Like grab wheel at 3 and 9 and you can wiggle it and see movement at the ball joint. Other side and other car tight as can be.

If I hit a little uneven spot on the highway it feels like the car veers off in an ever so slightly different direction and you can feel that occurring for like 3 or 4 seconds then suddenly the wheel goes back to straight. Not sure what kind of stuff is going on but it feels uneasy so I have parked the car until it is repaired 😢

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
If you keep backing off the nut it will contact the outer CV joint housing, then force the ball joint out of the knuckle.
Ah yes thank you. I kind of forgot this part. Also the part about using a pry bar. It was taking too long so I put it all back together. Will try again soon.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Smack the side of the knuckle casting where the taper is and they pop loose

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Funnily enough a hood or a bonnet are both for keeping the head warm lol

As for a trunk that belongs on an elephant! :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I gave up trying to remove the ball joint. I tried the method where you undo the sway bar link and try removing the ball joint that way. Without removing the axle but, control arm, etc. Basically the laziest method there is?Can get the nut backed off but the ball joint won't come out. I tried hammering on it as per YouTube vids but it won't move.

Swearing and penetrating oil didn't help.

I was still driving the car. Feels really strange. I can't wait to see what happens when I get these parts replaced. It seems like ball joint to me. It has play side to side. Like grab wheel at 3 and 9 and you can wiggle it and see movement at the ball joint. Other side and other car tight as can be.

If I hit a little uneven spot on the highway it feels like the car veers off in an ever so slightly different direction and you can feel that occurring for like 3 or 4 seconds then suddenly the wheel goes back to straight. Not sure what kind of stuff is going on but it feels uneasy so I have parked the car until it is repaired 😢

My latest ball joint seemed to be really stubborn and refused to move, was at it for a while all on one side (Rear). Then I thought I might as well try hitting from the other side and pop, one hit and it came right out lol

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
My latest ball joint seemed to be really stubborn and refused to move, was at it for a while all on one side (Rear). Then I thought I might as well try hitting from the other side and pop, one hit and it came right out lol

Where exactly am I hitting this? Do you notice what's wrong with this ball joint, btw? 😀

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You mean the extra long bolts in the LCA?

you need to hit the wheel bearing housing, between the castle nut and rubber boot on the ball joint.

you can also try a regular pickle fork, or the fancy ball joint separator tool that has a pivot and bolt you tighten (after slipping the other forked end where the boot is) to pop it out.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Where exactly am I hitting this? Do you notice what's wrong with this ball joint, btw? 😀
As above, right on the heavy part where the ball joint goes through, turn the steering full lock either way depending on which side you're trying to hit to get better access.

You might find it helps to get a bar into the lca and add a bit of downward pressure but generally you can tell when it's come loose, just give the arm a bit of a push down to check.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I changed out that ball joint and all my wandering and floating issues went away.

The previous owner installed new ball joints but apparently the locking plate and a bolt broke off causing the ball joint to move around a little and wear out I suppose? Mechanic who did the alignment failed to notice this worn part. New joint went in without any issues. Super easy job. I don't understand why I would need an alignment now, but he's going to do another one for free if I want.

That was scary. Check your ball joints for play regularly. And make sure those 3 bolts on the bottom are tight I guess? The joint I removed was completely buggered.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I changed out that ball joint and all my wandering and floating issues went away.

The previous owner installed new ball joints but apparently the locking plate and a bolt broke off causing the ball joint to move around a little and wear out I suppose? Mechanic who did the alignment failed to notice this worn part. New joint went in without any issues. Super easy job. I don't understand why I would need an alignment now, but he's going to do another one for free if I want.

Depends where it was sitting when the alignment was done as position, if it was able to move he could well have set it wrong. Be well worth getting it rechecked especially as it's free.

runningallday

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI manual
i took my car in to get it aligned recently, and they couldn't do it. said when they set one wheel up, the other one would also go out of spec or something. i had all the same symptoms as you - swaying around on the highway, lots of movement at 9 and 3 at the wheel - but it turned out to be the steering rack being super worn out/loose. replaced it, and they aligned it no problem.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have had that floating issue too , scared the hell out of me when going through the S turns by my house , I was almost afraid to drive the car.
After about a month I finally found it…..it too was a bad ball joint.
I now make it a habit to check them when ever I have the car jacked up for any reason.