Walmart to quit selling big bottles of PowerService!

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
I was just at my local Walmart and noticed the big bottles (treats 250 gallons) had a red sticker and was marked down to $9.00!

A employee walked by and I asked them if the red sticker meant they were going to quit selling it to which he replied "Yep!". Looks like they will still carry the small bottle but not the large.

AutoZone wants $17-18 for the same thing when wally world was $16+.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Warrants a trip to Walmart. Maybe I can beat Jason over there and pick up a few bottles!

Actually, I've been getting it at my local truckstop where I fill. It's about $0.50 cheaper than Walmart (believe it or not) and the last bottle of White that I bought was still a 300 (96) rather than a 250 (80).

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
dweisel said:
So, are you buying PS for its anti gell qualities or water dispersant properties?

Dweisel
I don't usually worry about the water. I mostly get it for the cetane boost and the lube since the Govt. keeps killing the sulphur in the fuel and screwing with the fuel formulations which can make the seals in the fuel pump contract (aka leak) so it is cheap insurance.

Probably not a problem for new TDI's that have only seen 15ppm fuel but for older ones this can be a issue.

But mostly for the cetane. The TDI was designed to run on 50-52 Cetane if I recall and all we have in the US is rot gut 40 Cetane (45 in some places but hard to find where I live) so I try to boost the numbers some.

Not trying to start a flame war but I think the general school of thought is Stanadyne is best but when I need some quick, it is (was) easy to just run to wally world for the "second" best additive.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If you have them near you,check a local Tractor Supply Company-the one near me has the 80oz. Powerservice for under $13...... looks like I'll have to check the Wally's on the way to work tomorrow.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Walmart P.S.

Not at my Walmart-yet! The shelf is marked with a red sticker and I had it price checked-still $16.47. I'll bide my time... I hid 3 bottles on the top shelf out of site:cool: My day will come!:D

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
upsbroke said:
Not at my Walmart-yet! The shelf is marked with a red sticker and I had it price checked-still $16.47. I'll bide my time... I hid 3 bottles on the top shelf out of site:cool: My day will come!:D
Oh good, I'll know where to look. Thanks! ;)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yeah,I checked a couple stores near me-still regular price.....they did have the Diesel 9-1-1 marked down to $7 /qt.