wading the waters, opinions please.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I am considering a replacement vehicle. Currently I have a MK4 TDi that needs a bit of work. I am able to replace it with something else and am considering a 2015(prefer the body) or a 2014(maybe..)

This one is local, id be curious what you guys opinion is. more specifically, two owner, under 10K miles, 5 years old. red flag for a lemon?
one that just happened to slip through the wrong hands and is relatively untouched(hard to answer accurately) Let me know guys.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ctedEntity=d2307#listing=266358633_isFeatured

https://www.mcdonaldvw.com/inventor...f-sportwagen-s-fwd-4d-wagon-3vwfa7au1fm506313

Also, price wise, do you think "closer" to 14K is possible? Just spit balling there.

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I'd go with the 2015 which is a mk7.
Low miles probably means it is a buyback that sat for a few years.
Give it a test drive, drive hard.
Asking price seems high, but it all depends on the market in your area.
Is it a CPO?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Looks like it is not a CPO.
Does that indicate anything?
With how dealers work i would find it hard to believe i could getout of the dealer for under 18K, which is 2019 AllTrack territory...

Also looking at a mk6 2014 with 77K miles, indicates one accident, 6 speed for 12Kish. Also seems high priced.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Here is the 2014 id like to look at.
Manual,WHITE! 77K miles arent bad.
Its not a CPO, it does indicate one accident, apparently light sideswiped, no airbags deployed. Id like to know what body work was done.

Also seems alittle overpriced. I wonder if i could talk them into a nice warranty, a complete timing belt job and maybe even tint for that same price.

Carfax report is available through their website. It looks like they have had this car acouple times over the past couple years. Would the dealer be more willing to get rid of it, since theyve already made money of this car before?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
According to all our fake news, now is the best time to buy a used vehicle. Dealers are hurting.

So go for it, be aggressive, you will see. Nobody knows how low they can go in this market.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Prices on both of those cars seem crazy high. I only paid $16,500 after rebates for my new '15 in April 17. The '15 you show is now three years older and has 8K more miles on it. I would think the $12K range would be more realistic. There's also a point where low miles aren't a benefit.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah to be honest both of those cars seem crazy high. I was out of the dealer for under 1k in January of last year, CPO, from a VW dealer (obviously), white 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen SE. So a trim above the ones you are looking at with the fender audio and pano moon roof. Seems the Sportwagen sun your part are very, very overpriced. To me not worth it.

If you are looking to spend under 14k for an economy car, my buddy just picked up a Chevy Cruze hatch, and he gamers damn near 40 mpg, but also gas is cheaper. His was a 2018 and under 7k miles for 15k or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
According to all our fake news, now is the best time to buy a used vehicle. Dealers are hurting.
So go for it, be aggressive, you will see. Nobody knows how low they can go in this market.
I don't know, several (6) cars I have looked at recently have sold while I pondered. I have also found dealers generally unwilling to dicker too much.

From my shopping the price on the 15 GSW seems high, but that is a rare combo with super low miles.

I too am looking to replace a similarly modded MK4 golf and I have come to the conclusion that I don't drive enough to keep a DPF equipped car happy.:(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So long as it gets driven on a long(ish) stretch once in a while, it is usually not an issue. We maintained a fleet of 2012-14 CJAA Sportwagons for a medical courier fleet, they were perfectly fine, and they got nothing but short trips and LOTS of idle time. And I assure you not a single one of their drivers had any clue whatsoever when a regen was happening.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
If the one McDonalds is selling is NOT a CPO, I would take it to a Trusted Mechanic on this website close by and have him do a PPI on it. If the dealers really want to deal, they should allow you to drive it as much as 500 miles to get this done.

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I am considering a replacement vehicle. Currently I have a MK4 TDi that needs a bit of work. I am able to replace it with something else and am considering a 2015(prefer the body) or a 2014(maybe..)

This one is local, id be curious what you guys opinion is. more specifically, two owner, under 10K miles, 5 years old. red flag for a lemon?
one that just happened to slip through the wrong hands and is relatively untouched(hard to answer accurately) Let me know guys.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ctedEntity=d2307#listing=266358633_isFeatured

https://www.mcdonaldvw.com/inventor...f-sportwagen-s-fwd-4d-wagon-3vwfa7au1fm506313

Also, price wise, do you think "closer" to 14K is possible? Just spit balling there.

I bought the 2015 Golf TDI SEL back in Nov 2019. I’ve put 8k on it and love driving it...great interior, decent sound system, good sound insulation, great road trip car. I was going to buy the same for my wife..she currently drives a Honda Fit. She’s now decided to keep her car. In the meantime I found a nice SEL in Utah. It’s low miles. Spoke with the owner for an hour getting the history. He is moving to snow country and bought an AWD. The SEL has a couple of dings but it’s priced low to make up for it. Probably need a new front right rim, and you will have to buy a duplicate key(he misplaced his). It also has a scratch on one of the fenders. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...trimCodeList=GOLF|TDI+SEL&clickType=spotlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Uno, id like wagon specifically.
Right now, tools for work JUST fit into my MK4 four door golf. Id like an extra foot or more in length and I think the mk7s are likely slightly wider than my mk4,which would be even more room than just the length.

90% of what i see is that dealers are always high priced. Which why I would haggle with them. I'm not interested in paying the sticker price, so if they dont budge, I dont buy! :)

Ive got a couple shops around here highly recommended from the forum. I'm sure i could get one of those shops involved to check it out.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Prices on both of those cars seem crazy high. I only paid $16,500 after rebates for my new '15 in April 17. The '15 you show is now three years older and has 8K more miles on it. I would think the $12K range would be more realistic. There's also a point where low miles aren't a benefit.
Great! I will be sure to use that for an argument in lowering the price if i can.
Also, my girlfriends family bought a 2015 with 17K miles, I think they paid 14ish just a few months ago. With Covid going on, i dont see how they wont work the price down some.

I agree, sitting can be detrimental to hoses and much much more. Could also indicate a lemon like i stated previously. Id hate to get ahold of something like that.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
Odd that that VW dealer won't CPO a car with only 8K miles.. the age, maybe? This is the same model that I have and mine was sold CPO a year ago with 53K miles for $12.5K. From what I have seen, Mk7 (i.e. 2015) TDI Sportwagens with 6M transmissions are getting very hard to find, and owing to well-documented nightmares from leaking Sportwagen panoramic roofs, the lowly S trim model (i.e. without pano roof) has benefits over the upscale SE and SEL models. Regardless of CPO, you would have the Dieselgate Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 11 years or 162,000 miles from the original in-service date.
But at the price they're asking, as much as I enjoy mine, were it to be unexpectedly totaled I would probably opt for a brand new gas-powered GSW since the 1.4T engines get quite good MPG.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
So long as it gets driven on a long(ish) stretch once in a while, it is usually not an issue. We maintained a fleet of 2012-14 CJAA Sportwagons for a medical courier fleet, they were perfectly fine, and they got nothing but short trips and LOTS of idle time. And I assure you not a single one of their drivers had any clue whatsoever when a regen was happening.
So they are pretty resilient?
Thats great to read. If the prices gets to the right point then id feel much better about that. Thanks for your input!
Youre the man.

oilhammer

TDI
They just need to be run out the highway once in a while is all, granted the DPFs can crack and leak (which has nothing at all to do with regens and trip length) and this happens more post Dieselgate. But that alone is not really a reason. I think at some point you either find the sweet spot or delete everything and motor on worry-free.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
They just need to be run out the highway once in a while is all, granted the DPFs can crack and leak (which has nothing at all to do with regens and trip length) and this happens more post Dieselgate. But that alone is not really a reason. I think at some point you either find the sweet spot or delete everything and motor on worry-free.
coming from a mk4, do you think the ride, personality and reliability is there?
Obviously its an upgrade in many aspects, but these MK4's have been something else!

assuming no warranty, I'll be finding an independent to do most of the work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Obviously its an upgrade in many aspects, but these MK4's have been something else!
My answer is no. I drove my GSW over last weekend, it's a very nice car. I really like it. But I like my MKIV better. One has 14K on it, the other 410K. If someone put a gun to my head and said you can only keep one, I'd go for the 410K one. Seriously.

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
My answer is no. I drove my GSW over last weekend, it's a very nice car. I really like it. But I like my MKIV better. One has 14K on it, the other 410K. If someone put a gun to my head and said you can only keep one, I'd go for the 410K one. Seriously.
Ive seen your rockers, those would be hard to give up. Hahaha!

There is just something about these MK4s! Hard to beat them, even with all the new features.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not sure how many people agree with me, but I think the '99.5 - 06 MKIV is the best platform VW ever built. I've been driving VWs since the aircooled days and not sure how many I've owned over the years, but for me the MKIV is the best. Solid platform, perfect size, acceptable handling and NVH even by today's standards. And the ALH engine with a 5 speed is the drivetrain sweet spot.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of good ones left.

oilhammer

TDI

No, I do not. The A4 platform cars are probably the best of the best. They are closest to what a Volkswagen should be. Sturdy, reliable, easy to service, and extremely durable. They don't necessarily drive or handle quite as nice as the A5, they don't have the solid highway cruising feel of the B5, but there is a happy median that they enjoy. They are the perfect size for a single or dual occupant drive, lots of aftermarket support for them, really every engine save the VR6 that we got in them is virtually bulletproof if cared for properly. I'd not give mine up and replace it with something newer. I might augment the fleet with something newer, but I'd keep the older ones. I currently have SIX A4 cars. Three Golfs, two Jetta sedans, one Jetta wagon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My son's '02 Jetta Sedan is still sitting in IDParts warehouse because I can't seem to part with it. It has some rust (not a lot) but is mechanically sound. Inetrior is excellent, except it needs a headliner. I've seriously considered restoring it and replacing my other sedans with it. Seems silly to spend a lot of money bringing back what is really an economy car. But I like MKIVs that much.

oilhammer

TDI
As soon as our business gets back to somewhat normal I am going to be doing some stuff to a few of mine. Although if this week is any indication, normal may be coming roaring back. So far: two dead engines (a 2.4L GM and another EA888 in a Q5...neither made it to 100k miles), and yet another dead Nissan CVT. That didn't even make it to 90k. :rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

The upgrades from the MK4 are ride quality, interior comfort, and power. The newer ones, especially after the fix, just don't have quite the same feel as the older VWs. Stock power is about 40% higher and you can feel it. Just can't feel it when it's cold of from a standing start anymore. I've found a 15 manual in southern Michigan but can't convince the wife that it's worth the trip. Especially since our daughter is no longer in that area.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Uno, id like wagon specifically.
Right now, tools for work JUST fit into my MK4 four door golf. Id like an extra foot or more in length and I think the mk7s are likely slightly wider than my mk4,which would be even more room than just the length.

90% of what i see is that dealers are always high priced. Which why I would haggle with them. I'm not interested in paying the sticker price, so if they dont budge, I dont buy! :)

Ive got a couple shops around here highly recommended from the forum. I'm sure i could get one of those shops involved to check it out.

Wagons make sense if you need the space. The Golf I told you about was sold last night. There will be more good deals in the coming months!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
owing to well-documented nightmares from leaking Sportwagen panoramic roofs, the lowly S trim model (i.e. without pano roof) has benefits over the upscale SE and SEL models. .
I really love my S trim, I vowed a long time ago never to buy another car with a hole in the roof.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
The 15d are nice cars. Having owned various platform TDIs and for! The outside looking in, fix your A4 splurge a bit on it. It improbably be less expensive transportation in the long run.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I just hit a deer in my 01 golf doing 80. I’m bummed to have to declare it a total loss. Body shop gave estimate of 4800 without tearing it apart which means it would end up costing 1-2k more than that. I’m seriously looking at buying a 2015 with a 6 speed manual now.