Wacky windows

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Ok here is the story, and yes I have searched extensively.
My latest mk4...wait I have bought another since...anyway, is a 2003 jetta gls wagon. Bought with timing belt failure, installed New motor and 5 speed swap.
Knew I'd have some electrical gremlins but I'd address those when I got it running.
Dealt with some hacked wiring...led front turns don't work on this car, non functioning hatch solonoid...and some goofy window stuff. Managed to get the hatch to work, but only if the drivers door closed. Dont have a remote yet or at least one programmed for this car, and only have a valet key, so could not use key at the hatch..
What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is the window operation. When I acquired the car the rear drivers window/lock would not work. Passanger front worked but would move in steps. When it stopped, let off and press/pull the switch and it would move a bit more. Here's where it gets curious. Driver's window and right rear window function opposite of the switch command...push down it goes up etc. I am getting some comm errors in vcds but at the same time they are working....just backwards.
I have been all through this car and PO has had every connection apart and put in some kind of grease. It is clear, not like any dielectric I have
ever seen.
All fuses checked,but power doesn't seem to be the issue. Did clean a bunch of that Damn grease off them though. I cant verify the window motors (accept the right rear which works backwards) are the correct generation for this car as on three the tags are gone. I can verify they have all been out of the car as they were all marked for location.
Not my first mk 4 (not even close) and my VW ownership is somewhere in the dozens, never had a window or ccm problem.
I located a car that should have the correct ccm...think thats my next move

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Some of what your saying makes me think there may be broken wires in the door bendy joint. Don't know the proper term. It makes proper contact for the hatch switch when closed. Could cause your comm errors too if it's connecting and disconnecting and the car is realizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I retired a 99.5 that developed similar issues with the windows. I never bothered to fix it because I hate wiring problems. I had owned it for about ten years and likely the problem was in the wiring somewhere, like what AP says. Intermittent electrical faults are the hardest to diagnose, for sure.
I do have an '01 that would intermittently and without explanation unlatch the trunk. I happened to walk by one day as it was sitting in the driveway and heard the trunk actuator doing its thing over and over and over....long pause, then it would to it again half a dozen times. It'd probably been doing that all night.
Anyway I was able to remove the switch in the door panel and take it apart for some therapeutic disassembly/reassembly/cleaning and it works fine now.
Edited to add: Ditch the LED's.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too had taken my window switch apart to cure the driver's side window not going down with the manual switch. Had to do this a few times every Spring. I have since replaced the switch and the windows function as they should. I was also getting the reverse problem that the OP described above, but not any more with the new switch. I bought it from Rodriguez here on this site.