VWoA declines MAF extended warrenty!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
PC Load Letter! What the !@#$%^ does THAT mean, and yes, I got the memo... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Frank M

Let's just agree to disagree. I feel like we're missing each other's points.

The dealership certainly has every right to deny my claim.

I have the right to never go to a dealership again.

Are these MAF's defective. Most are. Should VW admit that. Yes, and they have by doing this. Are they trying to deny it for any reason. That's how I feel.

If the dealership spent as much energy on proper diagnosis and repair as they do on denying claims for any little reason they would have happier customers.

Now it would be interesting to see what would have been the outcome if I had taken it to the dealer with the same problem (no power) and there HADN'T been an extended warranty. Call me synical, but I have the feeling that I would have received a phone call regarding a bad MAF and a $ 500 bill to boot.

That is, of course, just a feeling, not fact.

Good luck to all the owners of bad MAFs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does anyone know if the "new" MAF is an improvement over the old one? I have quite a few customers that I have installed Pierburg units on, and they want to get money...but I am not really sure how (I would not even bother, everyone that I have spoken to said the cars run BETTER with the Pierburg anyways!)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm also running the Pierburg and basically disinterested in this whole maf thing. I'm not sure how your customers figure they can get 'money' out of this deal. If they think VW is going to re-imburse them for your services (installing the Pierburg), I would wish them luck. As far as the VW Bosch replacement MAFs being a new design, different or improved... Hadn't heard that one. Seems awful altruistic of VW to give away new ones if they know they are failure prone and the customer may be back more than once. On the darker side, it might also be a devilishly clever ploy to get hoards of people to visit their service departments only to discover 'collateral' work that needs to be done. Anyone else?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I have a rather unique situation on my hands and I'm curious to see how it is going to pan out. I received the extended MAF warranty coverage letter in the mail. My car is long since passed the 70,000 mile warranty mark but I did replace my MAF over a year ago and paid for it out of my own pocket. Volkswagen has included a claims form to reimburse people that are in my situation.

Here's where it gets good: I flew to Germany and bought my replacement MAF. I have my credit card receipt, my dealership receipt with VW part number, and I still have my credit card statement from where I was billed for the item. The only kicker is that the credit card receipt and dealership receipt are written in German and priced in Euros. Since I still have the credit card statement I was able to figure out what the exchange rate was when I made the purchase and this is how I calculated what I expected Volkswagen to refund to me.

I guarantee that this will exclude me from getting a refund on my MAF but I am mailing that sucker in just the same. It would be nice to get a check for $250 bucks to put toward the next MAF that will eventually need to be replaced.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
morty said:
Are these MAF's defective. Most are. Should VW admit that. Yes, and they have by doing this. Are they trying to deny it for any reason. That's how I feel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I currently have my original MAF at 128k. There must be others as well that have the original MAF.

[ QUOTE ]

Now it would be interesting to see what would have been the outcome if I had taken it to the dealer with the same problem (no power) and there HADN'T been an extended warranty. Call me synical, but I have the feeling that I would have received a phone call regarding a bad MAF and a $ 500 bill to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

A profitable repair shop would not repair a vehicle that has been (fiddled) mickey moused with mods.

oilhammer

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Frank M said:
[ QUOTE ]
morty said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I currently have my original MAF at 128k. There must be others as well that have the original MAF.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A profitable repair shop would not repair a vehicle that has been (fiddled) mickey moused with mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank, you'd starve in California if you didn;t service all the little hopped-up Civics running around!

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
oilhammer said:
Frank, you'd starve in California if you didn;t service all the little hopped-up Civics running around!

[/ QUOTE ]

Logical truoubleshooting procedures can't be followed if a car is modified.
A shop looses money this way.
Also the customer often times are argumentive.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
[ QUOTE ]
Frank M said:
Logical truoubleshooting procedures can't be followed if a car is modified.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% on that comment .

Also...what few experieanced VW techs there are employed with a stealership know and follow the diagnostic logic trees that guide the tech thru the trouble-shooting procedures act on face-value that the car is in a stock configuration. If the car is modified ...and a problem arises....this throws the diagnostic logic tree out the window. When this happens...even with an experieanced tech....it takes more time (read more money) to resolve the problem. This only tends to make a difficault situation only worse when the owner has a warranty claim.
I am by no means a flaming supporter for VWoA Stealerships...But fair is fair...when you install a modification that takes the car (what ever system is modified) beyond the intended / designed operating parameters...you become your own warranty.

P.S.
Even though I did get a new MAF from VWoA I still think the real reason that I was given so much static was because I was only 225 miles shy of the warranty limit. Even if I were only 10 miles over the 70K limit..I doubt that this stealership would have done a damn thing for me...except to hand me a bill for nearly $500.

OK...on last comment on this issue of Mods and warranty claims..then I'll climb down off of the soap box.
I wish that more people would read ...and UNDERSTAND this advice : Performance Disclaimer

Especially the very last sentence !

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Frank M

Are you really Ric W?

How do you know your MAF is OK? Have you compared it to a new one lately? Mine died very slowly.

And please explain to me how a racepipe can mess a MAF up. Come to think of it, I put the race pipe and new PB MAF on at the same time as I cleaned the intake.

And please don't call proven engineering mickey mouse.

oilhammer

TDI
As long as one knows what modifications have been done and how to deal with them, there isn't any problems. Many diagnostic issues do not have textbook answers, that's for sure.

If a car is modded, you must think outside the box. If you like it inside the box, good for you!

I cannot see any connection with failed MAFs and mods. I have diagnosed failed MAFs on cars that have been chipped, not chipped, different air filters, etc., etc.

Either way, I'd just buy a 100 dollar Pierburg unit and be done with the whole damn mess. Period.

Just like aligning a car that has been lowered...you know the computer's specs are not going to be right, you have to formulate your own specs based on what the owner expects. The owner will understand that this takes extra work, and will pay for it. If they don't, they can go elsewhere.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
morty said:
Frank M

Are you really Ric W?

How do you know your MAF is OK? Have you compared it to a new one lately? Mine died very slowly.

And please explain to me how a racepipe can mess a MAF up. Come to think of it, I put the race pipe and new PB MAF on at the same time as I cleaned the intake.

And please don't call proven engineering mickey mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not know who Ric W is. Is he like Bill W?

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Frank M.

Please don't take my reply the wrong way. I looked at your home page - nice car, and great looking scenery. I miss the green grass and the snow.

The fuel filter and the EGR mod has as much to do with the failure of the MAF as the trouble prone Glow Plug relay/harness has. THAT is my whole point. VW doesn't see it that way, and that is sad. I don't know how the Honda crowd is treated at the dealership, but then again guys who mod their cars usually don't take them to the dealership.

Did they ever come out with a bulletin that said that oiled filters were a no-no? I know Skypup had loads of miles on his two tdi's with NO Problems. Failures with stock air filters are well documented.

Oh, I'm giving my PB Maf the AMSOIL treatment. That is one awesome filter!

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Aha, you posted before I could add to mine...

Ric Woodruff? You've been a member for almost 4 years, and never heard of Ric?

Ric is a guy who was not into performance, shifted at 1800 rpms ALWAYS, and who might not have known if his MAF was defective...

I had gotten used to mine and when the PB's came out I saw a chance to get the performance back. I couldn't believe the difference!

hotrodtdi

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
FowVay said:
I have a rather unique situation on my hands and I'm curious to see how it is going to pan out. I received the extended MAF warranty coverage letter in the mail. My car is long since passed the 70,000 mile warranty mark but I did replace my MAF over a year ago and paid for it out of my own pocket. Volkswagen has included a claims form to reimburse people that are in my situation.

Here's where it gets good: I flew to Germany and bought my replacement MAF. I have my credit card receipt, my dealership receipt with VW part number, and I still have my credit card statement from where I was billed for the item. The only kicker is that the credit card receipt and dealership receipt are written in German and priced in Euros. Since I still have the credit card statement I was able to figure out what the exchange rate was when I made the purchase and this is how I calculated what I expected Volkswagen to refund to me.

I guarantee that this will exclude me from getting a refund on my MAF but I am mailing that sucker in just the same. It would be nice to get a check for $250 bucks to put toward the next MAF that will eventually need to be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they didnt reimburse you I would still try to get a Maf out of them for a spare.
I just had mine replaced with no problems and no expense out of my pocket.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Does sound a little like VW is looking for a way out of paying for the MAF replacement ????

To me it's like this , if your running 25 lbs gauge boost on your turbo and beak it in half then the dealer has every right to refuse the waranty coverage . But it there is a well know issue with the MAF failure , then mods that don't effect the MAF should be overlooked .

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Most stealerships don't even know there is/was a snow screen. It's not mentioned anywhere in the service literature. As far as diagnosing a modified car, it sure helps to know what's been done. But then on the flip side, the service manual tells 'em to replace the glow plug controller when only the harness needs attention. Go figure. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes , what he said . The stealership knows nothing about the snow screen . I've asked the guys at the dealer that I go to regularly , if they know anything about this issue ?? They know nothing other than what I told them . At least that is what they told me . So if they know about it they ain't talkin /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
[ QUOTE ]
concours said:
Most stealerships don't even know there is/was a snow screen.

[/ QUOTE ]He's talking about the MAF screens, not the snowscreen.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why would you remove the screen on the MAF housing ??

It's after the air filter and as long as the air filter is kept clean , I see no benefit in removing it ???

It's a safety that was put there to protect the turbo from incoming debris . /images/graemlins/grin.gif

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
If I buy a new MAF at the dealer, and send them the reciept, what are the odds that I will get reimbursed for it? I am within all their mileage and age requirements. Or do they need a diagnosis of the problem before they will consider to refund or reinburse? I was cosidering doing this, because I am somewhat heavily modified and once they see my TDI, I bet I would get rejected in a heartbeat.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
STRANGETDI said:
If I buy a new MAF at the dealer, and send them the reciept, what are the odds that I will get reimbursed for it? I am within all their mileage and age requirements. Or do they need a diagnosis of the problem before they will consider to refund or reinburse? I was cosidering doing this, because I am somewhat heavily modified and once they see my TDI, I bet I would get rejected in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/cool.gif I guess you answered your own question......

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
There's just no way anyone has taken the course screen out from in front of the MAF in the name of performance... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif No, even the wildest card around here wouldn't do that. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Yes, that was a trick back in the old days. It always worked /images/graemlins/wink.gif the placebo effect. We didn't even know about injectors...

I don't understand what's going on with this forum. I've deleted my cookies and re-started the browser, yet half the time it doesn't show the updated information - I need to F5 it again and again. Anyone?