VWGoA – Online Claims

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If any of your are not happy with what you're looking at there is a simple solution. Wait until 2018 to sell your car back... So many people are so anxious to sell the car back on Nov 1st while they owe a ton of money on the car still. New's flash: Your car is no longer depreciating essentially. Keep making your payments status quo as if this scandal never happened and wait to sell it back until you either pay it off or you near the cutoff date.

For instance, we owe $11k on our '13 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Payoff date is June 2018. We are planning to sell it back between July-Dec 2018 and will walk out of the dealer with a nearly $27k check for our 6 year old 85k mile car. If we trade this Nov we walk out with a $18k or so check. It really seems like a no brainer to me, but most of this board wants to sell their car back Nov 1st. Get some patience!

Rotglatt

Veteran Member
TDI
no TDIs at present
One interesting thing. We have 2 JSW and both of them come to xxxx.73 . They appear to be rounding the 20% if it did not come out a whole amount or the NADA guide values after adjustments all end in a 0, making the 20% a whole number.)
That is actually from the restitution portion. There is a flat amount of $2,986.73 plus 20% - so that's where the .73 comes from. Looks like VW is rounding to nearest whole dollar.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
That is actually from the restitution portion. There is a flat amount of $2,986.73 plus 20% - so that's where the .73 comes from. Looks like VW is rounding to nearest whole dollar.
Correct, about what I said. I still find it interesting. ;)

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
If any of your are not happy with what you're looking at there is a simple solution. Wait until 2018 to sell your car back... So many people are so anxious to sell the car back on Nov 1st while they owe a ton of money on the car still. New's flash: Your car is no longer depreciating essentially. Keep making your payments status quo as if this scandal never happened and wait to sell it back until you either pay it off or you near the cutoff date.

For instance, we owe $11k on our '13 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Payoff date is June 2018. We are planning to sell it back between July-Dec 2018 and will walk out of the dealer with a nearly $27k check for our 6 year old 85k mile car. If we trade this Nov we walk out with a $18k or so check. It really seems like a no brainer to me, but most of this board wants to sell their car back Nov 1st. Get some patience!
The risk of not getting it while the getting is good kind of worries me. I have learned in life not to count my chickens and so forth. That being said not doing it the very first day doesn't seem overly risky. Waiting a few months to shop around for new cars seems relatively safe to me. I imagine that if you found a new VW you might even be able to twist your local dealers arm to have the buy back agent process your car that day if it means a sale for them. Another factor that is sort of wait and see at this point is what incentives VW will be tossing out and the deadline on them. If they are knocking a few grand off any negotiated price on a new car you will have to recalculate the math to see how long you would have to keep it for the incentivized new purchase not being equally cheap.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual

Na.. I personally didn't feel like rolling the dice with the Passat TDI. I'm already at 80,000 on my '14, and with the potential of some high dollar repairs, it makes more sense to park it.

Also, it really depends on the situation. Hopefully, people are being smart and running the numbers out to figure out the best option. Holding the car longer might not be a good idea if they have a higher interest loan and/or drive more than 1024 miles a month.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
2013 JSW manual, pano roof. 99,900 miles

Using the voluminous paperwork and tables, I came up with about $23K
The online registration/tool showed $20,400.

I owe about $12K and that is diminishing each month, but I also drive 3,000 to 3,500 miles per month. It looks like I'll come out with about $8-9K in pocket depending on the timing

Recently I've started getting intermittent CEL's for 2 issues related to emissions.
1. Particulate trap bank 1, efficiency below threshold, sporadic
2. EGR system, insufficient flow, value of resistance too small

At 88K miles, VW was willing to help with DPF fixes. However, now they are not... Needless to say, I plan on turning in a 100k plus mile car for 8 or 9K. As much as I like the car, I will have to invest $3K to fix the DPF and EGR and have way too many miles on it by the time they get around to an approved "fix".

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
2013 JSW manual, pano roof. 99,900 miles

Using the voluminous paperwork and tables, I came up with about $23K
The online registration/tool showed $20,400.

I owe about $12K and that is diminishing each month, but I also drive 3,000 to 3,500 miles per month. It looks like I'll come out with about $8-9K in pocket depending on the timing

Recently I've started getting intermittent CEL's for 2 issues related to emissions.

At 88K miles, VW was willing to help with DPF fixes. However, now they are not... Needless to say, I plan on turning in a 100k plus mile car for 8 or 9K. As much as I like the car, I will have to invest $3K to fix the DPF and EGR and have way too many miles on it by the time they get around to an approved "fix".
Stories like yours are what worries me about keeping a tdi long term in general. The thought of getting a 3k repair on a car that has 100k miles pretty much negates all the benefits of fuel savings. I know many owners have had the DPF and HPFP go much further without failure but those DPF's are just so expensive for a wear item. If I were going to keep the thing forever I would strongly consider a DPF delete and I would have no concerns about the engine going strong for several hundred thousand miles. Of course in many states you're going to run into issues taking off a DPF.

ar2013tdi

TDI
2014 Sportwagen DSG
I just registered and elected to sell back my car. VW will be writing me a check for $30,106.00. That's $3K more than what I paid for it. Essentially, VW paid me $1500.00 per year to drive my car. I really can't pass this up. I can't believe VW will let me walk out the door after giving me a check without providing some sort of incentive on another vehicle. I will buy another VW or Audi, but at this time I am really struggling with which one. I called my dealer and asked about the Alltrack. I was told perhaps by October. I am going to miss the TDI engine.

play150

TDI
2011 Golf

Just did mine! Golf TDI with ~35000 miles, purchased used in 2011 :)

Last edited:

dshaner

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Stories like yours are what worries me about keeping a tdi long term in general. The thought of getting a 3k repair on a car that has 100k miles pretty much negates all the benefits of fuel savings. I know many owners have had the DPF and HPFP go much further without failure but those DPF's are just so expensive for a wear item. If I were going to keep the thing forever I would strongly consider a DPF delete and I would have no concerns about the engine going strong for several hundred thousand miles. Of course in many states you're going to run into issues taking off a DPF.
I just parked my 09 Jetta on Saturday. Exhaust Pressure Sensor B is starting to go bad. I was quoted to $374 to replace both sensors, but they also found that both rear coil springs were broken $498 plus $130 for alignment and I had to pay $120 for diagnostics (I already told them the sensor was bad). I didn't want to take an 11.5K gamble on the car failing before the buyback.

Buying a 17 Elantra SE with popular and tech packages for under $18K today.

bigb201

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I just parked my 09 Jetta on Saturday. Exhaust Pressure Sensor B is starting to go bad. I was quoted to $374 to replace both sensors, but they also found that both rear coil springs were broken $498 plus $130 for alignment and I had to pay $120 for diagnostics (I already told them the sensor was bad). I didn't want to take an 11.5K gamble on the car failing before the buyback.

Buying a 17 Elantra SE with popular and tech packages for under $18K today.
I just had the same issue. Buy the sensor off amazon for 42$ and replaced it in 20 min. very easy fix and no need to adapt the ecu. I just replaced the sensor and cleared the code

neil_hpk

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Hi all,

New to the forum but have been reading for a while. I have a 2013 Passat SE w/ a Manual Transmission with around 89k miles & have a few questions;

- Is the table posted on the VW court settlement website accurate? I don't see why it wouldn't be but the numbers back from the online claim form are wildly different.

Claim Form:
Vehicle Return Amount: $12,725
Restitution: $5,531.73
Total: $18,256.73

According to the table posted by VW, a 13 Passat for the buyback option will fall between $21,587 & $24,257.

Am I missing something? I appreciate the help.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The lack of an automatic transmission (-$930) and the high mileage (-$3390) are what's hurting your value. The range given is valid for most cases, but you're outside "most cases"

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Hi all,
New to the forum but have been reading for a while. I have a 2013 Passat SE w/ a Manual Transmission with around 89k miles & have a few questions;
- Is the table posted on the VW court settlement website accurate? I don't see why it wouldn't be but the numbers back from the online claim form are wildly different.
Claim Form:
Vehicle Return Amount: $12,725
Restitution: $5,531.73
Total: $18,256.73
According to the table posted by VW, a 13 Passat for the buyback option will fall between $21,587 & $24,257.
Am I missing something? I appreciate the help.
Your claim form total matches the FTC tables pretty close...

Here is what I figured:
2013 SE - $22,517
manual - ($930)
mileage adjustment - ($3,390)
total - $18,197​

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
I Have a 13 Passat DSG with sunroof. The site puts me at about 22,500. That is assuming I have 65-70,000 on it at turn in.
I am torn between taking the money in November and adding about 10 for a CPO A4, VS waiting the 2 yrs only having to pay more of a mileage deduction. I can drive this car for the next 2 yrs for just the cost of the mileage reduction.
Automobile wants are strong emotions though, and one I wouldn't have if this opportunity didn't come along.
The maximum financial benefit for me would be to keep the car and take the fix. The sin money can pay for a lot of repairs and maintenance.
However, I see VW giving me more than I could ever hope to get for the car as an opportunity that's hard to resist. The take the money and keep VS sell back to the dealer at a really good price (regardless of condition) dilemma is a luxury problem other main stream car owners would kill for.
Then again, if I wait another model year or two VW might get around to stuffing a nice boosted 2 liter in the Passat.
Hmmmm........
Decisions, decisions

neil_hpk

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Your claim form total matches the FTC tables pretty close...

Here is what I figured:
2013 SE - $22,517
manual - ($930)
mileage adjustment - ($3,390)
total - $18,197​

Appreciate both of your help, and like you both say, its exactly what the tables say.

Kind of Disappointing, they are valuing my car at around $12,750 as of Sept 15. I had my local VW dealer run a trade-in quote out of curiosity in November 2015 and they offered $13,250. (I'd guess it had around 75k miles at that time.)

I bought the car at an Auction in March 2015 & after taxes etc, paid $500 less than they are offering. (which wasn't a bad deal either)

The only reason I want to trade-in so quickly is that I have the check engine light on. Ironically, it's for the Heater for the Urea tank. Living in TN, it won't make it through the winter unheated.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Technically, VAG Com warns of fire risk when excessive soot is allowed to pile up inside the exhaust. This is before you clear the values for the installation of a new (or cleaned) one. I think by now someone would have burned down a 2.0 TDI, if fire risk were really significant. It's not something to invite, but I think lots of people chasing P0401 codes, and their subset codes, are running around with those lights on. I'm in limp mode, where regens no longer run on their own, but my DPF was done <3000 miles ago by dpfregeneration.com . Limp mode is because of a turbo fault (actuator).

All mpg savings for these cars go out the window, with the above. If a bigger LNT gets approved, look out for much more rapid soot accumulation. VW has no commitment to make this mechanically right. If they did, they'd tell us "make space for SCR, or give it up".

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
Unhappy with this . . .

2010 JSW 6M Pano. About 68K miles on it today. 62ish Sept 2015.

Return Amount: 11,250
Restitution: 5,236.73

Total - 16,486

Mileage estimate at Return: 70001-75000 (that's off, we don't drive it that much).

I'm . . . pretty unhappy with that. I think KBB was higher than that as of Sept 15:
http://www.buybackmytdi.com/index.php/tdi-price-trends

Not sure what to do now. Tempting to take the "fix" - the 5200, and tune the h3!! out of it :D. Non-emissions state here, NC.

mtstringer

TDI
2013 Jetta
Mileage deduction!

I noticed that the mileage deduction for my 2013 Jetta is about $500 more on the VW settlement site than if you go to NADA under today's mileage deduction for the same vehicle/miles. I think we are getting screwed over on this deduction. I know I went to trade in my VW in October 2015 when the car had 50k miles on her and there wasn't a dealer in town including VW that would even talk to me. Now I have 30k miles more than then plus 3 more months of driving to and from work at 100 miles a day to add on.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Todays NADA should be more $$ for the same vehicle/mileage than the comparable car would've been in September since more time has elapsed. High mileage vehicles will always take a hit on value compared to the standard allotted miles. My 2014 has 146k+ miles on her, and it sucks that I can prove that she only had 100k miles in September, but I'm still stuck with the standard deduction as well. Still driving strong every day, but I'm really thinking I need to park her just in case.

mtstringer

TDI
2013 Jetta
I have emailed the settlement lawyers and tried to explain to them how the mileage part of the settlement really is not equitable but they just can't seam to comprehend my concern. It is too bad that those of us who could prove what our mileage was back in the September time frame by VW dealer service or other official records could not have that mileage frozen in time.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
it's not that they can't comprehend it, they don't care. They have an agreement that was negotiated at some length, and it is what it's going to be.

mnm2008

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
Prior Ownership - TDI

I was not able to register my previously owned JSW on the claim site; Are the old owners of TDI's not compensated? I thought the restitution payments are shared between the old and new owner. Has something changed since the drafting of settlement??

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I think you only qualify for restitution if you sold the car after September 2015, looks like your last Fuelly was September 2013, i think that's why you wouldnt qualify

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
i tried doing this but it said im not Eligible for this? what.. i bought the car March 28th, 2015... had it until December 30th, 2015 must be a glitch as clearly im part of this via the shared compensation if you sold or got rid of the vehicle after the sept 2015 date but before june 2016 date

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
However, I see VW giving me more than I could ever hope to get for the car as an opportunity that's hard to resist. The take the money and keep VS sell back to the dealer at a really good price (regardless of condition) dilemma is a luxury problem other main stream car owners would kill for.
<snip>
Yeah, we're in the same boat. Bought the car new, get to drive it for 5+ years, then turn it in and get within a few thousand of what we paid new. This is a "first world problem" for sure.....

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
ok opps i looked again at the claims page i had it put in as 3-28-16 to 12-31-16 i thought i had told it 15 ... thats why derp