VWAG to T5 Bellhousing

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I know this has been mentioned many times, but I am not sure anyone has b
been absolutely clear that this bellhousing has been available for a few months now from Quick Time/Lakewood. Endless thanks to vw16Cabby over there.

from motorgeek: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38205&start=100

The part number is: RM-4082, they are in stock.

price is $599 which i dont feel is bad figuring you get an sfi spec bell hosuing that is a limited run market when compared to the $100 cheaper domestic versions. hell a tranny shield or blanket on its own is over $100+ which you no longer need due to bell housing being sfi spec.

Sure will be easier than being restricted to Toyota gearbox. It is the early GM T5 pattern, that fits a LOT of gearboxes and many racing boxes in the US market.

I am not sure about ALH and later TDIs. IIRC, the rear of the pan could be an issue (don't have one apart here to see).

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I was following that thread with some interest over there on MG as well. The ALH and later engines should have no trouble mounting up to this adapter plate as long as a 1.8T later passat oil pan and pickup tube is used as well.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
From time to time, I have considered converting my race car to TDI power. The bellhousing would be helpful. I notice that it is setup for a starter from the engine side. Is there room for a starter once you get the mount installed along with the turbo etc. I found quite a few vendors selling it, but could not find the manufacturer's website. I'd like to see some drawings and dimensions. Thanks for posting.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
All the Passat's starters are mounted on the engine side, the Passat turbo manifold is spaced further out than the Jetta's allowing the starter to clear everything. Also the AFN turbo manifold is similar/same as the Passat/Audi B5 chassis manifold. The people that helped this to move forward and get it designed used the bell housing/bolt pattern from a 01E transmission.

I think a TDI in a race car would be fun. I have watched Pemek's build and enjoy the success he is having.

It's interesting, it used to be www.quicktimeinc.com but looks like they have merged with lakewood industries now.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
After I posted, I noticed there were two companies, but at Lakewood the number would not come up and is not in the pdf catalog. I am running a Saenz sequential adapted to fit to the Toyota T50 bellhousing. The car has a highly modified 4AGE gas engine. No torque, but makes good 200 hp at the wheels around 9000 rpm.

My thinking is, I could get better torque and almost the same HP with a chipped and nozzled TDI engine that would run on cheap diesel. The Sunoco Supreme last 5 gallons cost close to $70. I can dream. So if I want to pursue this, sound like I need to look for a Passat as a donor. I wonder what they are doing about a clutch release bearing?

Anyhow good to know.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
This is a fantastic update. Im trying to get this Jeep thing together and this might help me along a little better.

I think I could use a T-5 from an S10 and a advanced adapter 231 clocking adapter.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
This is freaking awesome :). There's a very large chance that if a late 90's 2wd s10 comes up on craigslist with a blown motor, it would get the tdi I have laying around....:D

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
This is freaking awesome :). There's a very large chance that if a late 90's 2wd s10 comes up on craigslist with a blown motor, it would get the tdi I have laying around....:D
I get the same urge when I think of a rust free 90-ish 2 door Square-o-kee or S10-Blazer-Jimmy.

catatung

TDI
Audi
RM-4082 to GM T5 Transmission, who's done it?

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread -- I'm trying to find people who have specifically done this because I'm being told from someone who sells these bellhousings (The RM-4082) that they will not mate to a GM T5 or T56...
Have any of you successfully done it or can tell me the specifics if it's possible or not, and if not, what the problem is?
Thanks!

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
You should probably ask Lakewood. Sailor (The guy who did all the legwork for this) Had it setup for a Passat FW and clutch. The center of the clutch will need to be made with T-5 splines. It was designed for a GM t-5 because the Ford one is turned slightly.

To my knowledge no one, including Sailor has completed a swap using this part.

catatung

TDI
Audi
Thanks for the reply, getting a custom clutch doesn't worry me, I figure as long as I have one with the right splines I can work with the size to get it right (either my modifying it or finding a clutch disc that is of appropriate size)

What I gather from you is that you're saying a GM T5 transmission will bolt up to this bellhousing? This should be what I need, as long as the engine side will bolt up to a VW/Audi 1.8T. Can you confirm this based on the knowledge you already have about the bellhousing? Is sailor guy around on this forum, maybe I could ask him?

Thanks again for the help and info!

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Sailor is on Hardcore Vw forum

in the pictures he posted he shows it bolted to a VW AEG 2.0 Its the same bolt pattern as ALL VW 4cly blocks.

This will not fit a VR6.

Some have also cautioned to NOT use a late model T-5 as it uses the ford pattern.

So use the 80's-early 90's Chevy T-5

This is all based on info I personally got from Sailor and what was already posted.

catatung

TDI
Audi
Cool, thanks 8v. The T5 I have is actually from a 1991 Firebird. I've also got a T56 (6 speed transmission) from a 1995 LT1 Firebird. As I understand it from reading some forums a swap from a T5 to a T56 is almost a bolt on solution.. Was there ever any talk you know of about getting a T56 to work with this?

As long as I can confirm it here it will mate a T5 with a 1.8T AEB engine from an Audi A4, I will be ordering one and I will definitely take some pictures and show what it does for a T56 to help the community in case someone is looking in the future.

Thanks for your help so far!

catatung

TDI
Audi
I'm looking over at www.jegs.com and it says it will fit a VR6. Are they misinformed or is this a different bellhousing they stock?
It says:
Bellhousing
Engine: AUDI 4,5,6 Cyl.; Volkswagen 4 Cyl. & VR6
Trans: Muncie, Jerico, Richmond, Saginaw, Bert, 4-5 Speed, Chev TKO 500-600 Transmissions. For use with internal hydraulic clutch.
SFI Certified 6.1.
Part Number # 698-RM-4082
The line is at http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick+Time+BellHousing/698/RM-4082/10002/-1
Is this the correct bellhousing? Or are there different revisions of the RM-4082 part number that I don't know about?

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
They are misinformed. It will fit an AUDI V6. Big difference.

If you comb though the original thread the topic was beaten to death.

As for theT-56 2 friends have done swaps into Gen3 F body cars, and both have told me that they needed a new bellhousing because the pattern is not the same as the T-5.

forfortoo

TDI
none yet, considering a RWD Conversion
Interested in a TDI to Ford swap. Have I heard correctly? Will using the factory Ford T-5 leave the prospective TDI canted at a 22 degree angle, which is the difference between the Mustang and Camaro T-5? Has anybody tried this into a fox body Mustang before? What problems could arise from the angle, other than space/packaging, ie making it fit? I wonder if it would be easy enough to make an adapter plate between the motor and bellhousing to turn it 22degrees in the opposite direction?

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I have read that 45 degrees on either way is ok for the ALH and AHU. You would need to confirm that but that is what Ive heard. The block in FWD is 15degrees so 22 should make no difference.

forfortoo

TDI
none yet, considering a RWD Conversion
Is there anybody on this forum who has used this Bellhousing? Any comments regarding the difficulty and cost in getting the proper pilot bushing, what starter to use, or what to use for the clutch?

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
As I wrote in this thread before. There is no one known to have completed a swap anywhere using this bellhousing. As for everything else you asked, you need to go back and read.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
They are misinformed. It will fit an AUDI V6. Big difference.

If you comb though the original thread the topic was beaten to death.

As for theT-56 2 friends have done swaps into Gen3 F body cars, and both have told me that they needed a new bellhousing because the pattern is not the same as the T-5.
Actually there is a VAG adapter plate that allows the VR6 to be bolted up to the 01E, there are a lot of guys putting them into A4/S4's.
You are correct that it's not completely bolt up part in and of itself, but the parts are available to make it a bolt on part.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Actually there is a VAG adapter plate that allows the VR6 to be bolted up to the 01E, there are a lot of guys putting them into A4/S4's.
You are correct that it's not completely bolt up part in and of itself, but the parts are available to make it a bolt on part.

Im aware of the part. Its been used for a long time. So, going back to the original statement, this adapter will NOT fit the VR6.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
After going back up to the original post about the VR6 and I went to the JEGS website and it appears that there are more bolt holes than the 01E/A transmissions. I'll have to check for sure tonight when I get home, but it is possible they added the provisions for the VR6 onto the bell housing. I'm not sure though.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, just checked. Looks like if the VR6 is to be used, the OEM adapter plate will have to be used. The bolt holes on the Quick Time bellhousing are exactly the same as the 01E/A's.