VW Won't Attempt to Regain Diesel Leadership in US; Many TDI Models May Never Return

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Got a 2011 2 door Golf with 55000 miles and will be paid off in 2 months. I'm thinking of keeping it and taking the 5K. I really love the car. The EPA can go to .....

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Got a 2011 2 door Golf with 55000 miles and will be paid off in 2 months. I'm thinking of keeping it and taking the 5K. I really love the car. The EPA can go to ..... My engine is just getting broken in!

frenchy2

TDI
1999 New Beetle TDI (Stinker)
Approaching 300,000; as a result of Dieselgate (and the fact I live in California) I'll just rebuild when time and keep on going.

PC Passat

TDI
2017 Jetta GLI
Depending on the "fix" for 2010's, I'm thinking about taking th 5 g's, doing the 2Micron upgrade and keeping it. You know that the 2016/17's don't even have AC to the rear seat among other things that my 2010 has that the new ones no longer have. The new ones do have things that my 2010 dosen't have, but to get them I would have to shell out another $7-8,000. I would wait for a 2018 TDI if we were going to get one.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
2017 Chevy Cruze will have a manual transmission in all but the very top model

Furthermore, the diesel and manual gearbox won’t be limited to just the sedan, either. The hatchback will receive the same 1.6-liter turbo-diesel engine, and the option to row your own will be present on all trims save for the headlining Premier variant.
Wait, they're making a hatch?! I might have to actually consider looking at a GM product...:eek:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Dr, GM already is using it in the truck. Helping spread he cost of that engine by using it the Cruze makes it look like this is a sure bet. The manual on he other hand...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's not the same engine, though.

The Colorado/Canyon's running a 2.8 liter VM Motori engine.

The Cruze will be running a 1.6 liter Opel engine.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

That's interesting. I didn't know that the company that made the 3.0 EcoDiesel for Dodge/Ram/Jeep made that engine for Chevy/GMC.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

I thought the diesel in the Colorado was a GM-Asia design, built in Thailand? It does not look at all like the VM 4cyl diesel in the Liberty or the VM 4cyl diesel in the Promaster. Is it maybe a VM design that GM bought the rights to? I know VM designs/builds a lot of engines though.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
GM along with Fiat own a chunk of VM Motori.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I thought the diesel in the Colorado was a GM-Asia design, built in Thailand? It does not look at all like the VM 4cyl diesel in the Liberty or the VM 4cyl diesel in the Promaster. Is it maybe a VM design that GM bought the rights to? I know VM designs/builds a lot of engines though.
It's a derivative of the VM A 428 DOHC, licensed to GM and produced in Thailand.

The Liberty used the R 428 DOHC, the immediate predecessor to that engine.

The ProMaster uses the Iveco 3.0 HPT engine, unrelated to VM Motori.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Hatches are back "in". Next will be polyester leisure suits and Elvis sideburns.;)
I'll be a happy boy if hatches and wagons actually become en vogue here in North America again. I'd love to actually have some options in the next 1-2 years for a manual wagon/hatch.

Needs to have a bit of grunt though whatever it is though (hence wanting a diesel). Have we seen any numbers on the GM 1.6L (North American version)?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
It's a derivative of the VM A 428 DOHC, licensed to GM and produced in Thailand.
The Liberty used the R 428 DOHC, the immediate predecessor to that engine.
The ProMaster uses the Iveco 3.0 HPT engine, unrelated to VM Motori.
Iveco and VM are both Fiat brands, aren't they? Does the Iveco branch design and built their own diesel engines without Fiat or VM input? That would seem strange, but hey, we can buy a giant ugly Nissan pickup with a Cummins engine under the hood now, and Mitsubishi sold cars with VAG diesels in them, so I guess stranger things have happened. :p

bhtooefr

TDI
None
That Iveco family dates back to 2004, and was in the current Ducato as early as 2006, whereas Fiat bought half of VM Motori in 2011, and then the other half from GM in 2013.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The original announcement did say that the engine was designed in Thailand. Haven't looked at a sticker to see what they are really doing. Still trying to convince the wife that a $40k truck is a "must have"!

mcphil

TDI
1.4 polo tdi
loosing power

i have a 1.4 polo tdi amf 3 cylinder, it slipped the timing belt and hit the head i changed it but with a second hand its performance reduced gear number 1and 2 take time to pick up what could be the problem. thank for your help

oilhammer

TDI
The original announcement did say that the engine was designed in Thailand. Haven't looked at a sticker to see what they are really doing. Still trying to convince the wife that a $40k truck is a "must have"!

That is the problem. It is a $40k truck, that isn't really much of a truck at all. You get two choices of bed: tiny, and even tinier. Either of which sit up so high that they are about useless to lift anything in and out of. And you are forced to get an extended or even more extended cab.

In other words, it is just a car. I am sure it fits a need for some people, but it is more fitting a want for the rest. But since it is in a class of its own when equipped with a diesel, there will be buyers for it I am sure.

I think for about the same money, I'd go pick up a regular cab, long bed, 4WD Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Trademan trim, a real truck, with a real bed, will seat three comfortably across its wide bench seat the few times I'd need the extra passenger space, a real bed out back that can inhale lumber, drywall, a ladder (beyond a foldup step ladder), decent payload and towing, and damn good fuel economy... my friend's Ecodiesel bangs out 30 MPG empty easily, and his is a 4 door.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
It's a "car" that wouldn't even be practical as a grocery hauler because groceries would blow out of the tiny bed at road speed.

If you need a truck buy at least a 1/2 ton pickup - preferably one with a diesel engine.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

---

Thanks, I thought the trucks had a smaller engine....
I'm keeping my 2005 with a measly 115,000. Sorry VW, you won't get my money anymore.

Just like Ford, with its Pinto,
Just like GM with its ignition key,
Just like Mitsubishi with its himitsu file regarding brakes and front wheels (TWO issues!!!)
Just like... Oh wait, you're next! You shot yourself in the face with this one. It will take a good while for this to clear up. And no thank you regarding your electrics.

Tesla, on the other hand looks like my next car. Way in the future.

FUCHT

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI / 03 Wagon TDI / 05 AUDI Q 1.8T 6spd man.
---
Thanks, I thought the trucks had a smaller engine....
I'm keeping my 2005 with a measly 115,000. Sorry VW, you won't get my money anymore.
Just like Ford, with its Pinto,
Just like GM with its ignition key,
Just like Mitsubishi with its himitsu file regarding brakes and front wheels (TWO issues!!!)
Just like... Oh wait, you're next! You shot yourself in the face with this one. It will take a good while for this to clear up. And no thank you regarding your electrics.
Tesla, on the other hand looks like my next car. Way in the future.
tesla.. a smoking deal!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=...izUruYmLnQE2zDbQR_bAkQBg&ust=1476967452818294

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
GM along with Fiat own a chunk of VM Motori.
GM no longer has a stake in VM Motori. They got out of that ~2013.

The Colorado 2.8 is a GM designed motor built in Thailand. AFAIK it is not related to VM Motori.

As for the Tesla bashing above - How many gasoline/diesel cars have caught fire? Fuel OR battery, both can catch fire, so this is not a uniquely Tesla problem, and I'm frustrated when people present it as such.

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
That is the problem. It is a $40k truck, that isn't really much of a truck at all. You get two choices of bed: tiny, and even tinier. Either of which sit up so high that they are about useless to lift anything in and out of.
I HATE high truck beds, why are trucks so high off the ground now?

There are still a few farmers around here with 80's pick up trucks, the look tiny, and the beds are sooooo low, awesomely low, you would actually have a chance of loading something heavy in them without a forklift.

Thats a lot of why I love my cheap harbor freight trailer, 18" tall so it's great for hauling heavy things, easy to load, I have about 30,000 miles on the trailer, I've done nothing but replace lights and tires since I bought it.

If you need a truck buy at least a 1/2 ton pickup - preferably one with a diesel engine.
I disagree, %90 of truck owners would be fine with a 1980s sized Datsun pickup truck, it's so rare that truck owners actually use the potential of their trucks, they mostly use them like a car and are thusly just driving around wasting gas.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And it's worth noting that vans still have low load floors.

Load height for the Transit Van is 28.0 to 28.9" depending on wheelbase (the longer, the lower the floor is). Contrast to the F-150, at 34.0-36.9" depending on bed, cab, and drive configuration.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That is the problem. It is a $40k truck, that isn't really much of a truck at all. You get two choices of bed: tiny, and even tinier. Either of which sit up so high that they are about useless to lift anything in and out of. And you are forced to get an extended or even more extended cab.

In other words, it is just a car. I am sure it fits a need for some people, but it is more fitting a want for the rest. But since it is in a class of its own when equipped with a diesel, there will be buyers for it I am sure.

I think for about the same money, I'd go pick up a regular cab, long bed, 4WD Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Trademan trim, a real truck, with a real bed, will seat three comfortably across its wide bench seat the few times I'd need the extra passenger space, a real bed out back that can inhale lumber, drywall, a ladder (beyond a foldup step ladder), decent payload and towing, and damn good fuel economy... my friend's Ecodiesel bangs out 30 MPG empty easily, and his is a 4 door.
I currently own a 07 Canyon extended cab with the 6 foot bed. It serves all of my purposes just fine except for having somewhere to safely put my granddaughter. Jump seats won't work and I can turn off the passenger airbag. Same issue with a full sized regular cab. Most of my hauling needs right now are for my bikes. Once we turn in the Golf, my JSW will become the wife's dd. The truck will be mine.