VW Won't Attempt to Regain Diesel Leadership in US; Many TDI Models May Never Return

TDI
just looking to purchase
I went to the vwclaim processing on line just to see what options I might get. Filled in the info and got buy back verses fix prices. Went back a week later couldn't log in. Called the vwclaim number, they took my information and said their OI&T staff would get back to me. 2 weeks later nothing. Really instills confidence in the court system will be anything but a huge headache no matter what option is selected. I think everything will have to now be via paper and registered mail with court system, etc slow but at least I will have documentation

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I went to the vwclaim processing on line just to see what options I might get. Filled in the info and got buy back verses fix prices. Went back a week later couldn't log in. Called the vwclaim number, they took my information and said their OI&T staff would get back to me. 2 weeks later nothing. Really instills confidence in the court system will be anything but a huge headache no matter what option is selected. I think everything will have to now be via paper and registered mail with court system, etc slow but at least I will have documentation
Sorry to hear you are having all this trouble, but it goes with the territory, so to say.

All this (and a million other useless threads) will be over once the offending cars are bought back or fixed by VW.

Hopefully, the folks who bought the clown cars will be posting the virtues of emission-free driving on their respective forums. Then we can get back to the purposes of this TDI Club for the remaining members and new entries.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
If you love the car, keep it and take the money....
If no fix is made available you will have two options:

1) Return it for buyback get money (but no keep it/driving)

2) Opt out... no money (but you can keep it, but drive? Not likely in California.)

Last edited:

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
No this is corporate malfeasance. VW was able to meet the "overreaching" standards, they just chose not to in order to save a few bucks.
I would disagree. The government should implement these standards more slowly. Basically went from no diesel emission control to crazy complex crap to meet the requirements in a 2 model year run.

That is garbage. any regulation can be meet with a cost, was the rapid change of the regulations necessary, no.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
California LEV II was adopted in November 1998.

Volkswagen had almost five years to meet LEV II, and almost eight years to meet Tier 2 Bin 5. The first Tier 2 Bin 5/LEV160 TDIs were about 10 years after the regulations were first adopted.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm going to follow OilHammer and hoard diesel cars. I see diesel sedans disappearing soon. No hell no I'm not buying a beemer or a Chevy.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Seems like most people are logging on easily and if not just rebooting or trying a different browser gets them in. Has zip to do with the court system. I think the process has been pretty smooth so far. Don't call use email, gives you a written record of issues.

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
California LEV II was adopted in November 1998.

Volkswagen had almost five years to meet LEV II, and almost eight years to meet Tier 2 Bin 5. The first Tier 2 Bin 5/LEV160 TDIs were about 10 years after the regulations were first adopted.
How long was ULSD available before the regulations went into effect?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Mandate kicked in in October 2006 for the US (so, there would've been a slight delay on the 2007 model year had VW really started trying in 1998), and September 2006 for California (so 2004-2006 being discontinued in CARB markets would've still happened).

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
So I wonder what bgolf83's point is to question easily debunked facts, other than trying to grasp at straws to put blame on the EPA/government and anywhere else other than where it rightfully rests: VW effed up.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
So I wonder what bgolf83's point is to question easily debunked facts, other than trying to grasp at straws to put blame on the EPA/government and anywhere else other than where it rightfully rests: VW effed up.
So there isn't a way we can blame the ENVIRO-****'S for this?

;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would disagree. The government should implement these standards more slowly. Basically went from no diesel emission control to crazy complex crap to meet the requirements in a 2 model year run.

That is garbage. any regulation can be meet with a cost, was the rapid change of the regulations necessary, no.

What are you talking about? Vehicle emissions regulations started nearly 50 years ago. And every diesel VAG engine sold here has had to meet some sort of standard. The older ones did it more easily with hardly any "crazy complex crap" but the actual fuel system itself was calibrated to adhere to whatever standards were in effect at that time.

And it became more stringent in gradual increments all along. My 1991 diesel has more "stuff" on it than my 1982 does.

VAG knew about the standards changing years in advance, they CHOSE to exploit a loophole in that they followed the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, they cheated, they got caught. The only one to blame here is Volkswagen. Yes, the standards may be draconian and unrealistic, and yes they clearly favor low MPG gasoline fueled cars. But working within the confines of the rules is what is supposed to be done, and not in a sideways manner like VAG did.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
At only 3,000 miles per year, if you got 40MPG, you would only have to fill the 18.5 gallon tank of the Passat just 4 times per year. I wish that I could fill up my car once a quarter.

Ha

I've driven 3000 in a week
Some times in my 4wd supersize SUV
12 in town 16 on the interstate
Bought it at a repo auction for 1/10 it's sticker price so left plenty of room for fuel costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Driving a motor vehicle on public roads is a privilege, not a right. If you have demonstrated that you can't handle that responsibility, that privilege will be revoked by your state licensing agency.

Traveling is a right, and you may travel within the country by any means not limited by privilege. You can use public transportation, ride a bike, fly your own airplane (another privilege that requires a license), or go by boat (again, a privilege depending on the type of vessel and where you're operating it).
Err...NO...Once again you are giving up your unalienable RIGHT {to travel} in return for a "privilege" granted to one choosing to participate in a limited liability in a joint venture for profit, with an insurable interest requiring you to participate in a corporate {Any STATE is a corporation remember. It is a legal fiction} ponzi scheme

See Shapiro vs Thompson, Murdoch vs Pennsylvania and Shuttlesworth vs Birmingham Alabama.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Legal fictions are made real by the threat of force.

If you defy that legal "fiction", you will have force used against you.

I wonder how much of a fiction you'll think the state is, when a state employee is holding a gun to your head, to 5150 your ass.

Last edited:

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
hehe I clicked on it and survived.

As for the Constitution being part of the problem, well that depends on what ones vision of government is. It was certainly a problem for both the abolitionists AND the Confederacy, as just one example. It was a problem for women before the 19th amendment, another big example. And it has inconvenienced, annoyed and stymied numerous individuals, corporations, and government officials who had different "visions" of what is and what should be over the years.

Nevertheless it is the legal basis for this government. It has lasted this long due to the wisdom of those who wrote it understanding that it would evolve and laying out the path way it would use to do so.

If one has a problem with the Constitution the most effective way to change it is thru amendment. Good luck. The most common way to attempt change however is thru judicial proceedings. This works much more efficiently than the amendment process.

I suspect your real quarrel is with spefic laws and not with our Constitutional system of government (I certainly hope this is the case.) In that case I recommend robust participation in the electoral process. You do vote I hope.

As for the Declaration of Independence...beautiful prose, a rallying cry, the document that made us "Americans" more so than anything else... It has no legal status. It was never meant to establish a system of government, only to reject one.

And thank you for admitting error about carbon dioxide and the periodic table. I know how it is during the heat of an argument to dig in and defend. Admission of truth is not a sign of weakness.

Also I will admit to being a bit of an ass around here lately...but its just so much fun. For the record I do not wish ill will to anyone here. To VW yes, to you no.
No problem NYC-TDI. I enjoy robust debate/difference{s} of opinion. I view life as an unending opportunity for knowledge AND understanding {there is a difference you know!!} and I'm just so FED UP with all this Agenda 21 and related crap being shoved down our throats by world collective propaganda group think.

Now more for those so inclined: https://organiclaws.org/
Be advised the "hosts" are a bit dim witted {and prove it during the interview} but nevertheless there is much little known understanding here.

And more that is fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvzWF8f-R9U

Long but worthwhile for sure.

15:27 - 16:50 and 43:30 - 46:00 are just a couple of nuggets for everyone...Also see if you can find where Richard speaks of how the state of California redefined the word "operator" in the vehicle code in 1959 from what it had always been up until 1958! Deception, deception, deception...

Enjoy everybody.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I'm going to follow OilHammer and hoard diesel cars. I see diesel sedans disappearing soon.
Me too! :cool: With my logging around 1k miles/week, gassers, gasser electric hype-brids, plug-in hype-brids, Hydrogen FCVs (not aware of any on the market right now), and range crippled e-turds are not an option at all. Whatever I own and drive HAS to be diesel, first and foremost.

No hell no I'm not buying a beemer or a Chevy.
For me, that ship has already sailed. :) My BMW diesels are long term keepers and I'm into them for the long haul. :cool: Dieselgate has only galvanized my decision to keep them long term.

If I someday add another diesel vehicle to my all-diesel fleet, it likely will be a diesel pickup truck. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all and is expanding. I'm becoming more of a truck guy and I miss the 2008 F350 SuperDuty w/6.4L Powerstroke diesel I had a couple of years ago. I have no buyer's remorse for getting the BMWs but I'm having some seller's remorse for selling the truck. I could have kept it and now wish I had. That truck was too d@mn useful for those times when I needed a truck. As for hoarding diesel cars, I may check out a Chevy Cruze diesel if nothing else to satisfy my curiosity about it because of the diesel option.

Getting back to the original thread topic of "VW won't attempt to regain diesel leadership in the US; many TDI models may never return" and not about traveling vs. driving, periodic tables, clown cars, ultralight airplanes, environmentalists, US Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and legal fictions made real by the threat of force...As a former TDI owner, VW lost me to BMW Advanced Diesel a couple of years ago, having nothing to do with the Dieselgate scandal. VW not returning with TDI models simply means I won't be returning as a customer. Regardless of what happens, I will continue to own and drive only diesel vehicles.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
im really impressed with the MB e320 cdi nice looking cars

I think all the newer MB cars are hideous ugly things. The new E is just awful. It is like they wanted to out do Infiniti for the most vomit inducing styling they can. Shame because the W124, W126, and even the W210 were such well styled, timeless looking cars that still look good even today. Even the W115 and W123 cars while a bit stodgy still invoke the look of a sturdy, quality automobile.

At least they can't screw the Sprinters up too much with some swoopy oblong styling.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I think all the newer MB cars are hideous ugly things.
Reminds me of years ago when I was shopping for a used car. This one dealer had nothing I was interested in - he wanted to see if he could sell me a MB of some sort, and I wasn't really that interested. The dealer said something like "Let me go find a pair of jumper cables, and we can take it for a test drive":eek:. I don't know what model the car was because I never took that test drive..

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a similar situation many years back. Salesman, "Oh here's a great car that should meet your needs. Let me get the keys." comes back and climbs in the driver's seat. Start talking about all the high tech stuff and sounding like he just walked out of training. Turns the key and nothing! I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I gave him the benefit of trying but after five minutes no one had even discussed just trying to jump it. I just walked away.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There is an E350 wagon. New is around $60K US in gasser only. All diesels have been pulled from the Mercedes website.

Didn't find any used diesel E350 wagons in my area either.

Last edited:

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Seems to me that CAFE requirements might compel VW to change their mind.I certainly hope they do because VW pulling out of the US market might cause BMW and MB to do so as well.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Not fond of the new Merc's, either. Cramped, no rear headroom.

VW's US legal violation wasn't the "spirit" of the law. They passed "the test", like in Europe, but eff'd up on the Alternative Emissions Control Device ("AECD") disclosure.

Got a truck, too. A Z71 Tahoe, for towing. To replace the TDI, one car recently off the list, from renting, is the 3.6 Pacifica (T&C replacement). Compared to the 5.3 V8, Chrysler's 3.6 has to work HARD. Same vs. the Tesla. I'd consider a 3.0 TDI viable, but they're too expensive used, and with maintenance and fuel I frankly think you're better off with a used Model S. Not the leap many would make, for many reasons, but if you want torque, than lots of batteries, a diesel 6, or a V8 aren't a crazy place to find yourself.

How efficient can a reciprocating engine be, from Cummins or anybody else be? That piston still has to change direction once it gets to the bottom. More efficient than my Tahoe, well, yeah..

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
I think all the newer MB cars are hideous ugly things. The new E is just awful.
It's like they told the stylists: "See what you can do to reduce rear head room and trunk space." And are they phasing out the classic MB grill?
The German concept of "4 door coupe" is a bad idea, and that goes for the VW CC as well.