VW unveils Scirocco GT TDI sports model

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Wow. That is one sweet looking machine. Nice enough to maybe make me sell my Jetta TDI or trade it. Please VW, please bring it here.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
dieselyeti said:
Having lived in Germany for 10 years it's been my experience they usually try the new cars out for about 3 years prior to bringing them to the states if imported. I'd much rather let the Germans work the bugs out for us rather than having us run back and forth to the stealer who doesn't know jack about repairing diesels anyway. Have faith, remember this is a country whose citizens ooooh'd and ahhhh'd our German engineered cars back over to Germany from the U.S. with cruise control and a/c. Let's give them a chance....maybe they can tell us something at TDI Fest....!!;)

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Unfortunately with the 2004-05 Passat TDI, VW sent a whole fresh set of bugs to the USA/Canada! So much for debugging a design for a couple of years in Germany....

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
DickSilver said:
Unfortunately with the 2004-05 Passat TDI, VW sent a whole fresh set of bugs to the USA/Canada! So much for debugging a design for a couple of years in Germany....
Common Rails have been out a few years in before they came here also and there are problems beng posted here.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
rme said:
Having lived in Germany for 10 years it's been my experience they usually try the new cars out for about 3 years prior to bringing them to the states if imported. I'd much rather let the Germans work the bugs out for us rather than having us run back and forth to the stealer who doesn't know jack about repairing diesels anyway.
I sure hope that's the case, as I'm planning on a new TDI by month's end and am a bit unsure of all that new tech in the car. (CR & DSG)

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Is this one of those threads showing us a car that we all know will never see the shores of the U.S.? Is this where I'm supposed to write:

"Wow! Is that a nice car! I sure would love to have that with a 6-spd manual and 4-motion. I would trade in my Jetta in a heartbeat for that car, blah, blah, blah,"

I wish I had $.05 for every time I've read something like that on this website.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
If they bring that here with a 6 speed manual ..... Oh yea, I'd snap one up! I was thinking about a Coraddo swap (like the sweet one Frank did) but a new modern Scirocco would be sweet!

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
What awesome machine. I love 4-motion with 6-speed manual gearbox. I'd buy one!

Here's another $0.05.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Just cought a glimpse of the new Scirocco here in Prague. VW sponsored a marathon that was going on today. I snapped a few pics... sorry, neither of them were TDIs (both were badged TSi):

And (just a little off topic) after the event, the city's VW garbage trucks were out in force to pick up all the sports drink bottles and banana peels. At least these were all TDIs:

Last edited:

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
wmahaffey said:
Is there anyway we could influence VW in a positive way to import this car? Count me as in line to get one.

Bill
The best way is for a bunch of people to start buying GTIs, way more than before. And you would also need a bunch of people to buy diesel Golfs, like outsell the gas version and get Golf sales way above what they were before.

Basically very unlikely based on current sales trends in the industry. The regular Scirocco is not sold in the US because it's pretty much a stylized GTI, VW is not strong enough in the US to sell both.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
chewy said:
The regular Scirocco is not sold in the US because it's pretty much a stylized GTI, VW is not strong enough in the US to sell both.
The Scirocco is about 200 pounds lighter than the GTI, with lower center of gravity and wider track. It handles much better and accelerates more quickly.
The GTI offers more practicality.

The price is pretty much identical.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
And, of course VAG was not the first automaker to use common-rail turbo-diesel in passenger cars. I think PSA was first, than Renault, Fiat of the affordable brands. Dunno about Daimler and BMW...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
wolfskin said:
And, of course VAG was not the first automaker to use common-rail turbo-diesel in passenger cars. I think PSA was first, than Renault, Fiat of the affordable brands. Dunno about Daimler and BMW...
The first passenger car to use CR was the Alfa 156. The same year, Mercedes brought out the C220 CDI.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
German_1er_diesel said:
The Scirocco is about 200 pounds lighter than the GTI, with lower center of gravity and wider track. It handles much better and accelerates more quickly.
The GTI offers more practicality.

The price is pretty much identical.
therefore, it will never be offered in the US. I don't care about the diesel version, give me the gas one.
Nobody in VWoA wants to be known for killing the GTI by bringing the Scirocco here.

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
They will bring this car when the BMW 335d starts selling. $579/mo. 0-60 in 6. When they come off lease I'm in! (Listening VWoA?)