VW trucks heading stateside?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
THIS!!! This is why the Ranger is dead, and the S10, and the toyota pickups (hilux) and every single other small truck with few frills for people that need a pickup on occasion but dont need a behemoth like a mega-cab...

car manufacturers cut out the cheap base truck from the lineup and leave only fully loaded monster trucks for us lowly consumers to choose from on the lot. Even the current f150 seems massive compared to the f150 of my childhood (im 26 now).

maybe i was just ruined by terrible electronics in early 1990's cars but i DO NOT think that more electronic amenities make a car better or worth more, i think it makes every little switch and relay an expensive liability...
I've owned S-10's and early 90's Dakota trucks, both very base line vehicles. The Dakotas had more options than I needed but they were used so for the miles it was a 'take what you can find' sort of a deal. They both were long bed versions though which was what I was after.

Compared to the trucks of today though they were nothing, tilt, cruise, AT and AC but nothing more, and that was well equipped for that time. Today those probably wouldn't sell very well, they're not glitzy enough.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Yes, I did forget that, there are several of those running around town here too.

Worse though is the coffee can sized exhaust tip angled out from behind the rear tire that blasts you with soot when they drive by you and punch it.
Exhaust system treatment:

When applied correctly, reduces exhaust emissions by 100%.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Remember that those big trucks are also big on profits. Helps keep the big 4 in money.
They were talking about the new Aluminum body of the F-150 on NBC news the other night. They said that the F-150 is the single largest selling vehicle in the US (no surprise) and that Ford makes around 20% profit on each unit. I think those were the profit numbers. I was actually trying to pay attention to the wife at the same time.:)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
not big enough

VW does not want to try to force the "small" Amarok on the north American market. No mention of the added tax on pickups, but that can't be helping.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/05/vw-amarok-pickup-may-come-to-us/

Maybe you've seen the article, but with the recent downward trend in gasoline prices, all medium and even the larger SUV sales are way up, and the full sized trucks are still selling well (Ram is doing especially well, even with the lowest fuel economy). I'm not sure what happened to Ford F150 sales-that's odd.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/03/us-autos-sales-october-idUSKBN0IN0YV20141103

Will VW make a V150 or Titan equivalent just for the US? No. Don't blame VW. This market isn't going to support Amarok. And even if it were to show up here, it would not be offered in single or "extracab" design. Only the biggest one-quadcab with lots of options, and probably no MT.

Even VW sold more cars this Fall, but not big ones!
http://www.ibtimes.com/october-2014...dans-ford-down-2-vw-climbs-after-long-1718046

Last edited:

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
The F150 only largest selling pickup because they give them away at cost to all different levels of government. They do this because they pretty much know they will be able to sell oem parts for the next 4 years for these trucks (Do government employee's treat the trucks that good?). The 20% profit is only on those they sell to the public which I am sure is a bunch, but not much more then what the other 3 sell public.

The new aluminum body is a great idea, we will see how things work out though in the long run.

They were talking about the new Aluminum body of the F-150 on NBC news the other night. They said that the F-150 is the single largest selling vehicle in the US (no surprise) and that Ford makes around 20% profit on each unit. I think those were the profit numbers. I was actually trying to pay attention to the wife at the same time.:)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The F150 only largest selling pickup because they give them away at cost to all different levels of government. They do this because they pretty much know they will be able to sell oem parts for the next 4 years for these trucks (Do government employee's treat the trucks that good?). The 20% profit is only on those they sell to the public which I am sure is a bunch, but not much more then what the other 3 sell public.
Citation for that? Speculation otherwise. Gross profit margins are only calculated averaged out over an entire product line; bean-counters don't generally distinguish margins down to specific customer groups.

ALL automakers -- at least (especially) domestic brands -- sell at substantial discounts to fleet and government customers, that's a given. Ford is neither unique for this and the F150 in particular. I see a lot more Chevy/GMC SUVs than F150s on the road as US government vehicles.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
EDIT: atc98002 is right (below)-no RAM V8 diesel. Not sure where I thought I saw that!

I just took a look and a local KC Ram dealer has a new Diesel V8 shortbed for less than $24,000. MISTAKE-Not a diesel. BUT... I found a new LONGBED ecodiesel base model for under $30,000. Crank windows, OK, but...still: .How can Amarok compete with that kind of deal? Sure, some people will buy Amarok, but the Ram will outsell in Diesel category probably as much as 10 to 1.

Another dealer has an ecodiesel, but guess what... it's a crewcab and $52,000.

Yet another dealership has two SLT Ecodiesels (crewcabs) at about $38k and $48k

Most Americans that can't afford the high end Cummins Diesel. Those that can afford Amarok would probably opt for SLT level ecodiesel. Sure, you can order a longbed ecodiesel Tradesman 1500 single cab, but you would probably not get a discount since it's not in stock. Ecodiesel is not so common on the lots. Usually a be a quadcab, but the standard cabs are out there in longbed.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Most Americans that can't afford the high end Bighorn, or other SLT models will gladly take the Tradesman 1500 V8 diesel...
Where are you finding any Ram 1500 diesel except for the V6 EcoDiesel? I just looked on the US web site (because you peaked my curiosity) and I can't find any 1500 diesel V8. In the Tradesman, you have to choose the 8' bed before the EcoDiesel is an option, and with no other options the price is $29,910. And that's before the $1,195 destination charge. That's $31,105 for an absolute bare bones pickup. No power windows or door locks, basic radio.

Could you get one like this for under sticker? Possibly, but I seriously doubt any dealer will stock such a low end model, and negotiating much of a discount on a factory order is unlikely.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen just a couple longbed ecodiesels under $30,000. One was on ebay (Tennessee dealership, I think). The other is a local Kansas City area Ram dealer. As I mentioned above (correction), crank windows, but longbed 4x4 ecodiesel for under $30,000 is a real domestic competitor for Amarok.

I have read that replacement parts are hard to get at the dealerships though.
http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2014/long-term-road-test/

And 27mpg on the highway may not be that easy to get. Big fuel tank gives it some range. But a heavy frame with heavy tow hitch on a longbed 4x4 is bound to be a little thirsty!

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Dub, I think you're right. VW would have a very difficult time trying to bring an Amarok to the US at a price point that would work.

Thanks for making me look up the Ram ;). I didn't realize you could even get the EcoDiesel in the Tradesman. I thought it would be next to impossible to get a diesel Ram 1500 for under 40k. Dodge did better than I expected.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
kind of thirsty for a turbo diesel

The Full 8 foot bed Ecodiesel Tradesman 4x4 is not a luxury vehicle, though I'm sure the cab is warm (or cool) and comfortable, even even if you have to crank your window up by hand. How retro. I am sure that $29,xxx price point is a deliberate target. A full-sized very torquey relatively good FE truck that can actually pull a loaded trailer and tools in the bucket, all for 30k? Well, yes.

It is pretty tempting. That's a big payload, and claimed 27mpg highway is impressive for a big truck. But average FE is more like 22-24 for the quad/crew -cab Ram Ecodiesel (based on the long term article in previous post). Not many of these engines in service (relatively speaking), and replacement parts are apparently not so easy to come by. This is something to be concerned about-and it bears out VWs concern about market share for a diesel "sipping" truck. Spare parts are probably made on the basis of sales, or predicted sales. Where's the market when people just buy guzzlers in NA anyway?

Question is, how much higher is Amarok FE?

The quadcab Amarok might average 25-28. If we could see a single or extracab less optioned versions like the ones they sell in Europe, that would climb to 30, or more. We are still talking about single digits.

Is that going to happen (singlecab Amarok base models)? NO. So look at the longbed singlecab tradesman or much more expensive quad/crewcab ecodiesel, and take your chances on replacement parts.

How will the new promised Colorado 4x4 diesel fit in here? Even MORE competition for this segment!

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Citation for that? Speculation otherwise. Gross profit margins are only calculated averaged out over an entire product line; bean-counters don't generally distinguish margins down to specific customer groups.
Actually they do. Ford could tell you how many F150 SLTs in red they sold to 32 year olds not only last year, but over the previous 10 years.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doubt that material ever reaches the outside. I know that the large chemical company I work for tracks all kinds of sales data that is only internally published.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Maybe so. Would still like to see the citation.
Wards has it but you have to subscribe...and it's spendy. There's some data that's publicly available but not the good stuff.

Earlier this year a Ford marketing VP (now gone I think) admitted that they track their customers (vehicles) which Mulally denied the following day. They collect data on all this stuff, probably more than we realize or would be happy to know about....

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
VW Trucks and Vans Oh My!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ns-and-pickups-to-broaden-u-s-customer-appeal
According to Bloomberg, VW North America light commercial vehicle boss Eckhard Scholz said the automaker was looking into bringing a van and/or a pickup into the U.S. market to help bolster its overall range, as well as drive more sales on its way to catching up — and one day, surpass — both Toyota and General Motors.
Potential models include the Amarok pickup, as well as the Caddy, Crafter and T5 vans and minibuses. VW’s global light commercial unit sold 445,000 models around the world last year, compared to the 366,970 models from the automaker’s USDM range over the same period. Overall global sales in 2014 came to over 10 million units.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are pigs flying? This rumor has been rolled out so many times that I'm planning on buying a canyon diesel next year.

wed_wabbit

TDI
2011 Golf; 2011 JSW
Sorry to dig up a 2 month old thread, but I spotted a white Amarok in NW Austin (on RR620) this weekend. Would have though maybe a tester or VW corporate tester, but it had TX buyer plates. Are these things finally able to be ordered? I wish I would have been able to take a picture, but the Phone/Drive laws here are pretty strict. I did make sure to look closely at the Temp plate to see it said "Texas Buyer" and not a Dealer/Manufacture tag.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No new vihcles. Has to be 15 years old to import without all the hoops to jump through.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, models like Amarok, the new flipside "van", Golf Wagon 4 Motion TDI, Passat Wagon (any), and even Tiguan TDI are not in our future in NA.

Even if Amarok were to show up, it would not likely have a manual transmission option!

The only viable solution besides pouring money into a conversion of some sort (Toyota pickup/ALH, for instance) is Dodge Ecodiesel. The name is an oxymoron since 95% of them are 4-door loaded Longhorn tanks that sell for $40k or more, but it IS POSSIBLE to find longbed standard cab versions (white only!) for just over $30,000, and only with an 8 speed automatic transmission.

Canyon is pushed back again, so if you want a "small" diesel, your option at the moment is the Ram 1500. And this situation is unlikely to change.

I remember when Isuzu (Chevy Luv), Nissan, and Toyota periodically sold a diesel truck (sometimes 4x4) in the US. A real 35mpg light truck that hauled a refrigerator or a load of wood handily, but couldn't be called "luxury" by any stretch, and didn't pretend to win races. Imagine that. An economical work truck. Why would anyone want an economical, small work truck?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sorry to dig up a 2 month old thread, but I spotted a white Amarok in NW Austin (on RR620) this weekend. Would have though maybe a tester or VW corporate tester, but it had TX buyer plates. Are these things finally able to be ordered? I wish I would have been able to take a picture, but the Phone/Drive laws here are pretty strict. I did make sure to look closely at the Temp plate to see it said "Texas Buyer" and not a Dealer/Manufacture tag.
I am in that area. I will keep my eyes open for it.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Bigger is better

There is recent a graph somewhere out there that shows the average weight of pick up trucks (non-commercial) getting bigger and bigger lately and now specially with lower fuel prices!

'economical, small work truck' is a sign of weakness for us Americans.

Why buy a smaller, fuel efficient pick up truck if you can buy a 'big ass' heavy duty truck instead regardless of my needs?

Unfortunately, models like Amarok, the new flipside "van", Golf 4 Motion TDI, Passat Wagon (any), and even Tiguan TDI are not in our future in NA.

Even if Amarok were to show up, it would not likely have a manual transmission option!

The only viable solution besides pouring money into a conversion of some sort (Toyota pickup/ALH, for instance) is Dodge Ecodiesel. The name is an oxymoron since 95% of them are 4-door loaded Longhorn tanks that sell for $40k or more, but it IS POSSIBLE to find longbed standard cab versions (white only!) for just over $30,000, and only with an 8 speed automatic transmission.

Canyon is pushed back again, so if you want a "small" diesel, your option at the moment is the Ram 1500. And this situation is unlikely to change.

I remember when Isuzu (Chevy Luv), Nissan, and Toyota periodically sold a diesel truck (sometimes 4x4) in the US. A real 35mpg light truck that hauled a refrigerator or a load of wood handily, but couldn't be called "luxury" by any stretch, and didn't pretend to win races. Imagine that. An economical work truck. Why would anyone want an economical, small work truck?

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
'economical, small work truck' is a sign of weakness for us Americans.
And yet plumbers, drywallers, electricians, and other American tradespeople are buying the Ford Transit Connect by the thousands. They don't seem to worry how their work truck reflects upon their manliness...

Not denying your point; it's just weird how nobody seems to feel emasculated shoving a few grand in tools and parts into a Connect but the idea of doing something like that in a truck the size of a Ford Courier just bothers a lot of guys.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Unfortunately, models like Amarok, the new flipside "van", Golf Wagon 4 Motion TDI, Passat Wagon (any), and even Tiguan TDI are not in our future in NA.

With all the issues that Chevy has had lately, I wouldn't dare touch a Canyon diesel until it has been out for a few years and all the bugs have been worked out.

I would love to see VW make a 4-door El Camino type diesel. I know there is no chance, but the El Camino is something I've always liked. Somewhat of a car/truck hybrid.